Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

CB antenna mounting help

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ned
I make these at work. I'd be happy to hook you up. I was going to sell them but never got around to it. I have 3 or 4 already made up. They are bead blasted and unpainted. I supply the drill bit and screws needed as well as detailed instructions.

Does this mounting location clear the rear door? ie can you open the door without the antenna hassling you?
Old 04-01-2010, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by YodasYota
Does this mounting location clear the rear door? ie can you open the door without the antenna hassling you?
Looks like the door would be in the way. I have the firestick version, and the door is in the way with it. I had a 4ft Wilson antenna that bends easily out of the way, still a hassle though. The antenna actually got broke when it got shut in the door (not by me).

I'm thinking about moving up to the hood area on the passenger side. Maye drop down to a 3".

That's a really nice looking mount! Very well made.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Gnarly4X
Gee, everyone has an opinion.

trd...

1) Make sure if you mount on the bumper it's top loaded and above your roof line.
2) You don't need a spring. A simple screw in mounted antenna is best.
3) Make sure your mount is grounded well to the chassis.
4) Use an SWR meter to fine tune the antenna
5) Make sure you run a *direct*
connection to your battery for the negative and the positive wires.
6) For better "hearing" you might consider a remote speaker mounted around your head area.

TJMWO,

gNARLS
Those are some great points. Looks like a good check list to go by for anyone considering installing a cb. A lot of people go for looks or brand name and forget about the basics.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gnarly4X
Gee, everyone has an opinion.

trd...

1) Make sure if you mount on the bumper it's top loaded and above your roof line.
2) You don't need a spring. A simple screw in mounted antenna is best.
4) Use an SWR meter to fine tune the antenna
5) Make sure you run a *direct*
connection to your battery for the negative and the positive wires.
1. The term "top loading" actually means a capacitive hat mounted on the top of the antenna. The best type of antennas to use are a long steel whip, it allows the signal to radiate above the roof line of the vehicle.

The antenna that you truly want to avoid when you cannot mount your antenna on the roof seems to be the ones that are the most popular here which is the Fire stick antenna.

2. There is nothing wrong with a spring on a ridged fiberglass antenna as long as its one of the Hustler brand springs that has a copper strap from top to the bottom taking the spring out of the circuit.

4. A SWR meter is a handy thing to have, just don't go nuts trying to get a perfectly flat swr. Anything below 1.5 is fine. Also don't buy into the non-sense about having your coax a certain length to fix or improve your SWR. If you SWR changes with coax length then you have antenna problems.

5. For the power a CB radio needs, a direct run to the battery isn't needed.
Also I HIGHLY advise AGAINST running a negative run to the battery unless a BAD electrical noise problem exists.

The reason for this is because if your primary ground strap becomes corroded or disconnected, your electrical system will seek a path to the battery. This path will become from the chassis through the antennas ground/shield, back to the radio causing damage and through the ground lead to the battery which can result in a fire.

If you have a horrible noise problem from a blower motor or such and decide that running a negative cable to the battery is your only option be sure to put a fuse at the battery on the negative lead as well as the positive lead.

But if you want the best antenna setup and still be able to clear branches and parking garages. Get a 102" steel whip from radioshack and mount it to your ARB bumper up front, then get a piece of nylon or dacron rope and tie it to the end of the antenna and pull it back till the antenna is only 2-3 feet above the roof and tie the rope to the top hinge of the back lift gate.

FOG