Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Can I be your friend? (Future 2k4 Sport 4x4 v6 owner)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I be your friend? (Future 2k4 Sport 4x4 v6 owner)

Hello all...
after searching forEVER on the net for a useful Toyota site...I think I found THE PLACE...
Anyhow, I am pretty sure that I'll be the owner of a 2k4 4Runner v6 Sport 4x4...within a month

I came here for some advice on pricing and the ride itself...
1. How much over/under the invoice should I expect to pay?
2. What should I check for when I am buying it? (well...it's a new car so i know it want be much)
3. Anything that I am going to regret after I buy the vehicle?
4. Some comments!!!

I am driving a 97 lude...which I've had since early 98...so it's been in service for 6 years for me...no problems at all except for the tranny acting up as we speak...

I am also looking at a FX35, RX330...
FX35, really sporty...and I liked it very much...but it feels like our G35 raised about 6 inches...
RX330...I liked it also...but it feels like our Avalon raised about 6 inches...

And one day...someone mentioned the 4Runner and the price was right...around $31k for the model I want...The RX330 and FX35 was a tad bit over $40k...

Only thing I don't like the 4Runner...No leather and Navi option on the Sports model...I would get the limited with those options and the X-REAS suspension...but that would set the 4Runner over $40k...I would get the Lexus or the Inifiniti for that price...

Well...if i do get the 4Runner...A Navi system will be in...It is so useful...NOT FOR SHOW...but once you get used to it...you gotta have it...YOU WILL NEVER GET LOST...
Old 01-20-2004, 12:57 PM

Aside from the Nav, and leather option that you want, you may also want to think about gettin the V8 so you'll never regret getting the base motor. If you spend over $40 grand on the Limited V8 there's absolutely nothing you'll ever complain about, and it will be the perfect all weather, all road vehicle that can't be beat in most aspects, especially when it comes to reliability.

As for getting the sport V6, you can always add aftermarket Nav for about $2 grand, and get custom leather seats done exactly how you want them. After all that it will still be cheaper than the FX-35, and/or RX330 (girl car if you ask me)

My father is getting a FX-45 soon though
Old 01-20-2004, 01:07 PM

I would opt for the v8 (it's only like $1200 extra) but I've heard the benefits are not much...
Of course since it's a v8...there's no doubt it'll feel better in the low end...It eats more gas...and I won't be using the 4Runner for towing anything...
And come on now...I am doubling my torque from a 2.2L honda to a 4.0L truck...I'll miss the 8000RPM shifts...:cry:

is the v8 fast than the v6? i've heard stories where the v8 weighs more...so it's "slower"...but I might have heard it wrong...

And I'll definitely opt for the Aftermarket Navi option...
But I'll probably do a custom touch screen setup...rather than those flip-fold monitors...
I am not a big fan of aftermarket leather...they are to rough unlike the soft factory leathers...

Also...I do my own maintenance at home...Can I change the tranny and engine oil/filter on the 4x4 model without jacking the car up? I can a jack for our CARS...but i dont think it'll raise the front of the truck one bit...
Old 01-20-2004, 01:31 PM

It will be a lot easier if you jack it up for oil changes, I have to put mine on ramps when doing my oil change.

As far as the V8 vs. V6 cons and pros, I know the V6 puts out 10hp more than the V8 but obviously lacks the bottom end tourqe. So if you don't plan to do any towing like you said, the V6 will be just fine, however we here at yotatech like unnecicarry power just like more car enthusiasts

And I'm not quite sure about the MPG difference, but I know the MPG difference between a Grand Cherokee I6, and V8 is only 1 MPH city/highway, so the 4Runner may be less of a difference than you think

About the leather, I've seen some really nicely done leather seats, even carbon fiber (very rare, but cool) seats that feel like suade and leather put together kind of.

Hope that helps, post a pic of what ever you're getting (I reccomend black )
Old 01-20-2004, 01:38 PM

Little off topic, but...

have you looked at the Lexus GX or LX or the landcruiser? I'm really curious about the GX, they look cool, are on the 4runner platform if I'm not mistaken and have a V8. Wouldn't it be cool to see a GX on the trail, with mods and stuff!
Old 01-20-2004, 01:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My parents are getting a new 4runner and I convinced them to get the V8. I did the calculations and the difference in gas is only about $100-200 per year, depending on the price and miles driven per year.
Old 01-20-2004, 02:07 PM
Contributing Member

First off.... Good choice on deciding to get the 4runner instead of one of those crossover thingies...

Second off... You're gonna be better off gettin the v8 on the long run as if you do ever sell your 4runner, your resale value will be higher. The engine is very reliable and it comes with the new 5 speed auto tranny which is awesome! The 4 speed auto is nothing compared to the new tranny and it helps to make the 4runner move! Keep in mind that the v6 is part time 4x4 and it is a new engine design (thus can still have problems). The v8 has been around since 98 and is very very reliable.

Third.... Either way, you really can't go wrong actually. As long as it's a 4runner you're pretty set for a capable suv that will last (toyota quality - still made in japan!). This thing is an offroading monster btw... Can't say that for any of the other suv/crossovers you mentioned.

As for $$$ - always pay invoice or close to it as possible. I've seen 100-500 over as a norm. Hope this helps. As for X-REAS. If you plan to ever lift your 4runner, then I'd pass on the x-reas as currently there are no lift kits available for the x-reas system. Doubtful that they'll make one but we're all crossing fingers for those members that have em

Oil Changes - the v6 is very easy. filter is located in the top which makes changing the oil a piece of cake. the v8 is just like any ol oil change for any vehicle. go under and remove bolt, drain, then remove filter, blah blah blah (nothing new).

Power - v8's 1/4mile is quoted as somewhere at 15 sec (low to mid) so I'm sure even though u'll miss the 8k mark, you won't even notice it. Btw the v8 is pretty powerful! Can't comment on the v6 as I don't drive one!
Old 01-20-2004, 02:33 PM

I've never heard of any V8's come close to the mpg's I get on a regular basis. MPG on a 4wd suv isn't a huge concern but breaking the 20mpg is pretty good for something this size.

The part time 4wd is a bonus that I really like. 4wd when you need/want it or 2wd for economy/reduce drivetrain wear.

V6 is +10hp/ -30ft/lb torque, -150lbs lighter over the front wheels.

I'm not going to trash one to make the other look good. There are pluses and minuses to both but when I looked at all the stats and drove them, the V6 is what made alot of sense to me.

As to resale values, a SR5 will retain more than a Limited. If you are concerned with resale value, the bare bones SR5 will retain the highest value over the long run. That is standard on all cars. The V8 will have better resale but it is also $1K more. Depreciated over 5-10yrs, you won't get the $1K difference back.
Resale is tough because when it comes down to it, location/demand/luck will determine the actual price. A car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Check edmunds.com for prices you should expect to pay on avg for your area.

The 4R won't drive like a car so you should understand there is a difference in owning a truck compared to a car. Many people don't get that.

I really love my 4R so I wish you good luck in purchasing and joining the club!
Old 01-20-2004, 03:03 PM

thanks guys...I feel welcomed already...
Man...now I am really considering the v8 over the v6...
I guess I'll have to test drive it this or next weekend to "feel" the difference...but gas mileage is a BIG factor for me...I heard that 4Runner requires premium gas...which I find HARD to believe...not like it's a high compression engine or anything...
do v6 AND v8 both require premium? in Cali, gas isn't cheap...
Resale value will not matter since...I usually drive a car for at least 5~8 years (when the resale value is shiet anyways)
For sure, I MUST have the X-REAS suspension because I have a fully modded suspension on the Lude...and I don't wanna be rolling a SUV...KNOCK ON WOOD!!!
No way in hell I am raising the truck...thing is high enough as it is...I am going from 1.5 inch ground clearance to 9 inches...

I am going to search in the forum and see what kind of gas mileage people are getting from their trucks...the v6 and the v8...
I have NOT test driven the GX or the LX...i don't have a $50k+ to spend...also...no way in HELL i am getting black...black cars look the best when clean...but looks dirty too soon...
I'll probalby get those titanium or galactic grey color...
Old 01-20-2004, 03:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by joedaddy
and I don't wanna be rolling a SUV...KNOCK ON WOOD!!!
Driver error is the reason why suv's roll. People think that they can drive it like a car expecting it not to roll (lamers). These vehicles have a higher COG therefore if you're going 60mph and decide to make a hard right turn it'll roll (physics).

Now even with X-REAS, if you tried that same test, I'm sure it might roll (no guarantees) but x-reas just helps to eliminate the body roll (like swaybars) but they don't prevent a suv from rolling. (I hope you understand that).

Test drive both engines and then decide on how you feel. I think the mpg will vary according the way you drive. As for gas, I use 87 all the time (not like I'm racing or anything anyway). Better yet, I use Costco gas here in LA so hehe... Must save $$$ as much as I can for mods!

GOod LUck

Lance
Old 01-20-2004, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by Good Times
Driver error is the reason why suv's roll. People think that they can drive it like a car expecting it not to roll (lamers). These vehicles have a higher COG therefore if you're going 60mph and decide to make a hard right turn it'll roll (physics).

Now even with X-REAS, if you tried that same test, I'm sure it might roll (no guarantees) but x-reas just helps to eliminate the body roll (like swaybars) but they don't prevent a suv from rolling. (I hope you understand that).

Test drive both engines and then decide on how you feel. I think the mpg will vary according the way you drive. As for gas, I use 87 all the time (not like I'm racing or anything anyway). Better yet, I use Costco gas here in LA so hehe... Must save $$$ as much as I can for mods!

GOod LUck

Lance
perfectly understood...BUT!!! about your 87 gas...doesn't that yield worse gas mileage and performance?
My honda showed a BIG difference from going from 93 Octane to 91 octane in cali...I just can't imagine going from 91 to 87...doesn't it have a knock sensor on a 4Runner?

also...i am going to probably change the wheels to an 18 inch within a year or two...I just like the look and feel of "thinner" tires...NOT RuBBERBAND thin...but u get the drift...

Last edited by joedaddy; 01-20-2004 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:27 PM
Contributing Member

Both engines run on 87 octane. Anything higher than that, it'll just waste it. If you plan to do lots of performance mods then I'd say start using 91 octane after doing major upgrades... I.e. supercharger etc etc but if you're not (i.e exhaust/filter/headers) then you're best set at 87.

Btw, since you're planning on gettin 18's, do you really need that 4x4? I just ask because it does weigh alot and w/o it, your "future" truck will be lighter and easier to drive. Also less headaches on doing maintenance too. Lighter truck means better mpg (hehe).

Just wondering
Old 01-20-2004, 03:39 PM

^^well the thing is...
if I ever happen to go up in the mountains to ski or something...
4x4 will come to good use...
the thing is 4000lbs already and extra 150lbs won't make a difference...wait...so are you saying that on the instruction manual, it says that 87 ok?
like my dad's avalon says...89 or higher (91 or higher for maximum fuel economy and performance)...
Old 01-20-2004, 03:42 PM
Contributing Member

as per the service manual.... 87 octane!
if you want performance then dump some 91 but i'd say it's a waste of $$. Not like you're racing. and I'd say since the truck already weighs #@*$&#^@*&#^, adding 5 hp won't make a diff that you will notice... but you will notice a thinner wallet though!
Old 01-20-2004, 03:45 PM

^^^
hell...then y does website say that 4Runner require Premium gas?
i mean if it doesn't require it...no way in hell i am going to use it...
Also...the hood scoop...is it really NON-FUNCTIONAL?
has anyone modified it to make it useful?
Old 01-20-2004, 03:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As goodtimes said, both the V8 and V6 take 87 octane. Do the calculations for yourself, there is not much difference in how much you're going to spend on gas between the V6 and V8.

It's a good thing you're getting the sport model because you can't get xreas in the limited in Ca, at least it's very very very difficult.
Old 01-20-2004, 03:49 PM
Contributing Member

hood scoop is non functional. I suppose you can take out the cover in the inside to make it somewhat functional.

I don't see how the scoop can be functional to begin with since the filter is located on the passenger side. is it there to cool the engine? you got me

it's just there more for looks!

The only functional scoop I know is the subaru wrx's! now that's a functional scoop!
Old 01-20-2004, 04:00 PM

There is only ONE Sport model at my local dealer...
I'll probably fill out the online form to see what's the best deal I can get...I'll aim for $200 over invoice...
Old 01-20-2004, 04:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by joedaddy
There is only ONE Sport model at my local dealer...
I'll probably fill out the online form to see what's the best deal I can get...I'll aim for $200 over invoice...

If you do your research you can get $200-$500 under invoice. A little extra work can pay off. I hussled the sales man for my 03 Sports V8 2wd for $1200 under invoice. Remember to be affraid to walk away.
Old 01-20-2004, 04:44 PM

Robinhood150,
How did you come up with $100-200/year difference for gas? (not being argumentative, just curious as to how you figured it)
I feel the savings to be more but even with your calculations $1000/5yrs is still alot of money to save.

I use 89 mid-grade all the time. I've used premium a couple times at Costco- I figure it's cheap gas so splurge a little but I couldn't tell the difference.

I think it would matter more at higher altitudes. I've been up to Big Bear and didnt experience any knocking so 89 seems to work ok for me.

Hit the twisties going up to Big Bear and you will fall in love with the XREAS!

I think the hood scoop is only functional for diesel engines and only for show here in the USA. But it's cool and I like it!
You can't get ram-air from that location, it has to be up at the nose of the hood so I don't know how much of a benefit relocating the intake would be.

You would make sucking in alot of water easier so you have to route the plumbing so you dont hydrolock in a rainstorm.

Quick Reply: Can I be your friend? (Future 2k4 Sport 4x4 v6 owner)