Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Calling all fast 4runners

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Calling all fast 4runners

For those of you who are supercharged: do you have any track times or stories of races. Im interested to hear how much of a difference it makes. If you post please include the engine mods you have done if they arent in your sig.

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2003, 08:27 AM
Contributing Member

I have a few, but here is my favorite.
I was on State Street in SLC, and there was a 1997ish Ford F350 with a powerstroke diesel and a 4 inch lift. He kept revving me while we were driving down the street. We finally hit a stop light. So I thought I would show him what my 4Runner could do. The light was still red and I started powerbraking my rig. The back tire starts spinning and a huge cloud of smoke comes from my tire. Then the light turned green and I let off the brake and left him in the dust. I slowed down to the speed limit (40mph) and he drove beside me and asked what I had in it. I told him "nothing all 4Runners are this fast". His jaw dropped, and he drove away.

There are a few other stories with civics, focus',etc. But those weren't as funny!

My engine mods are:
Deckplate mod
Supercharger
Tranny cooler
Flowmaster 60 series muffler
NGK BCPR7ET plugs
Old 04-29-2003, 11:54 AM
Contributing Member

My roommate says that the supercharger is VERY LOUD outside of the vehicle. I raced him one day and he said that you would have to be stupid to think that that sound was normal. (any racer should know its a s/c)

plus my boost gauge gives it away.

dan
Old 04-29-2003, 12:03 PM
Contributing Member

Back in the day I had a 95 SI SOHC that ran a 15.4 at 90MPH on street tires with full interior. I remember being at a stop light one day with my friend in the car, and this guy in a maroon Tacoma Ex Cab started revving at me. I could hear the SC whine, so I really gave it a good launch. I kid you not, we were neck and neck all the way to 80. I was very impressed. But the guy was nuts, and he took off from the next light peeling out all the way through first gear, in front of a bunch of cops none the less!

It sure sounded cool.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by asudan96Runner
My roommate says that the supercharger is VERY LOUD outside of the vehicle. I raced him one day and he said that you would have to be stupid to think that that sound was normal. (any racer should know its a s/c)

plus my boost gauge gives it away.

dan
Yeah as you know, the whine is loud inside, I can only imagine how loud it is outside. I doubt the kid knew what the sound was. Let alone hear the whine over his powerstroke.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
Back in the day I had a 95 SI SOHC that ran a 15.4 at 90MPH on street tires with full interior. I remember being at a stop light one day with my friend in the car, and this guy in a maroon Tacoma Ex Cab started revving at me. I could hear the SC whine, so I really gave it a good launch. I kid you not, we were neck and neck all the way to 80. I was very impressed. But the guy was nuts, and he took off from the next light peeling out all the way through first gear, in front of a bunch of cops none the less!

It sure sounded cool.
WOW that's a pretty fast time in the Si. I had a 2000 Civic Si (DOHC Vtec) and it could only run low 16's (of course SLC is a lot higher in elevation than AZ). I miss the 8,000 redline and when the cams switch over and the car instantly gets really loud!
Old 04-29-2003, 12:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by SLC Punk
WOW that's a pretty fast time in the Si. I had a 2000 Civic Si (DOHC Vtec) and it could only run low 16's (of course SLC is a lot higher in elevation than AZ). I miss the 8,000 redline and when the cams switch over and the car instantly gets really loud!
I ran a 15.1 at 92.9 at SIR on drag radials.

I had a ton of mods, most notably the Gude Cam and ECU, I/H/E, Centerforce clutch, yada yada yada.

I really miss that VTEC switchover too. Oh wait, we have VTEC on our 94 Accord. I guess its just so fast I cant tell.

You are right about SLC. I raced 2 00 SI's in my 95 and beat them both times. But, they just had intake.

Ahh, the gold ole' days.
Old 04-29-2003, 01:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
I ran a 15.1 at 92.9 at SIR on drag radials.

I had a ton of mods, most notably the Gude Cam and ECU, I/H/E, Centerforce clutch, yada yada yada.

I really miss that VTEC switchover too. Oh wait, we have VTEC on our 94 Accord. I guess its just so fast I cant tell.

You are right about SLC. I raced 2 00 SI's in my 95 and beat them both times. But, they just had intake.

Ahh, the gold ole' days.
But the real question is:
Did you have a huge wing on it?
Did you have stickers?

Because you know that those add MAD-Horsepower-yo!! :p
Old 04-29-2003, 01:58 PM
Contributing Member

LOL. You sound like that guy on Fast and Furious!

Actually, it was really clean, with stock rims. I will scan a pic and post it tomorrow. It wasnt ricey at all.

I did have my ricey moments:

Huge "TANABE" window banner
"Powered by Honda" shoulder belts
"SIR" sticker on the rear
"Powered by DC Sports" license plate bracket
Patio furniture material front grill, painted chrome
Etc...

Luckily, these were not all on at once, and I finally just took it down to the stock look, lowered of course.
Old 04-29-2003, 05:31 PM
Contributing Member

I've raced and won against:
1996 Camaro (had aftermarket exhaust)
1999+ Civic Si
5.0L Mustang
Newer Mustang Cobra (with my mother in the passenger seat)

The Camaro was easy. He wasted time smoking his tires. The Civic was nose-to-nose until I hit 3rd. The 5.0L Mustang was priceless because he had a sticker on the back window of Calvin peeing on foreign. The Mustang Cobra was just awesome. The driver wasn't happy, though.

I raced and lost against:
1999 Acura Integra
Porsche 911 Turbo
Corvette C5

The Integra had a lot of money under the hood. The exterior was stock except for the rims. I beat him off the line and thought I had him until I hit 3rd. He breezed past me like I was standing still. I heard a turbo and a BOV when he let up off the throttles.
The Porsche...I just wanted to hear his engine. I puleed up next to him on my way home from work. It was getting dark. I revved my engine and he revved back. I thougt, "cool, I'll get to hear his engine as he hands my a$$ to me." The light turned green and I jam the throttle. He just sat at the light. I started swearing and wondering why he even had that car if he wasn't going to drive it. About that point, I see the pitch of the headlights change slightly. "Oh sh*!. Here it comes." He, too, passed me like I was standing still. I did get to hear his engine howl, though.
The Corvette...nothing spectacular. He handed my a$$ to me.
Old 04-29-2003, 07:43 PM
Contributing Member

Here is a story for you...

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...&highlight=WRX
Old 04-29-2003, 08:00 PM
Contributing Member

II slowed down to the speed limit (40mph) and he drove beside me and asked what I had in it. I told him "nothing all 4Runners are this fast". His jaw dropped, and he drove away.

haha, sweet dude.
man i want a sc so bad now.
Old 04-29-2003, 08:17 PM

Tomus, Nice kill man. My friend has an 03 WRX and those things fly! I cant wait to get a supercharger now just so i can hang with him and piss him off.

HaveBlue, Im not doubting you but thinking that a 4runner can beat a car that runs a low 5 sec 0-60 time is pretty hard to believe unless he sat there and smoked the tires or sucked at shifting gears. But if you took him thats awesome!
Old 04-29-2003, 08:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I told him "nothing all 4Runners are this fast". His jaw dropped, and he drove away.
Travis,

I knew you had a comedic streak in you. Priceless!

Bob
Old 04-30-2003, 05:05 AM
Contributing Member

Hey ssbogger - I smoked a land rover freelander on foscoe hill heading up to banner elk. The rover was really on the gas and I just watched him fade into the distance.

I also wasted a Jeep rock crawler, but I could have done that on my mountain bike

You'll love the supercharger!
Old 04-30-2003, 05:43 AM

there was a link of the sound of the supercharger but it was dated for 11/02 and it wasn't active any more .. does anyone have an active sound clip?

does the supercharger have a blow off value sound? or does it just sound like a big v8? or does it sound like a sports car?

as you can tell i have no clue .. thanks for the responses.
Old 04-30-2003, 06:13 AM
Contributing Member

But the real question is:
Did you have a huge wing on it?
Did you have stickers?

Because you know that those add MAD-Horsepower-yo!! :p
Here it is with Konig's on it. Not too ricey...

Old 04-30-2003, 06:33 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by escobar400
there was a link of the sound of the supercharger but it was dated for 11/02 and it wasn't active any more .. does anyone have an active sound clip?

does the supercharger have a blow off value sound? or does it just sound like a big v8? or does it sound like a sports car?

I have that sound clip downloaded onto my hard drive. I can email it to you if you want. I believe it was from SLC Punk. Believe it or not, it was after reading that thread and listening to that clip of his S/C that made me order my supercharger. I have been happy ever since.
Old 04-30-2003, 06:40 AM
CTB

Originally posted by escobar400

The supercharger won't have a blow-off valve sound because it doesn't have a blow off valve like a turbo does.

Superchargers have more of a whine sound to them. And no, they won't make it sound like you have a big V8 under the hood. They sound like, well....superchargers!
Old 04-30-2003, 06:43 AM
CTB

Now the blowoff-valve question makes me have a question: what do the superchargers do to relieve excess pressure that is built up when the throttle/butterfly valve is suddenly closed? You know, like how a turbo uses a blowoff-valve.

Thanks for helping the curious student who should be studying for finals right now!

Quick Reply: Calling all fast 4runners