Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Bullbars, safari bar, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done searches on this already, so I'm well aware that this is sort of but I just wanted to know if I've overlooked any manufacturers. I'm interested in installing one of those grille-width, just-above-bumper tubes that mount to the frame, and provide a nice mount for a couple of driving lights. They seem to have a few different names. The ones I am aware of are the JAOS, Westin, Hunter (cheaper ones sold on eBay). There was another brand mentioned as being discontinued. The TJM and ARB bull bars seem to be entire bumper replacements, which I am not interested in due to cost, weight, and my limited amount of offroad driving. I just want a decent unit like the Westin, or similar, on which I can mount my driving lights.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:12 PM

Ya...I need to find one of theses too!! Suggestions? Good price?
Old 12-17-2006, 01:35 PM

I live in NYC and I hated seeing people trying to parallel park into tiny parking spots by repeatedly smashing back and forth into my 'new' 4Runner.

So I bought the Westin Safari Bar. It's a thin tube bumper. It's easy to bend and while it won't offer any protection in an accident, it does help with my problem. It's already scratched up from people parking but I don't care too much, it protects my bumper well enough. It does have tabs on it to mount lights on. I put on a pair of Hella 550 fogs...they're mounted VERY low. Ideal for fogs, not so much for driving lights, at least not in my book. Also, make sure they fit! I believe Westin Safari Bar/Westin Ultimate bar allow for a max diameter of 6"

Here are some threads....

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ght=Westin+Bar

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ght=Westin+Bar
Old 12-17-2006, 03:06 PM

Other than the "Hunter" bar which I saw on eBay for $150, does anyone know of any other lower cost bars, compared to the Westin? I'm pretty hesitant to shell out $300 for a Westin bar, especially when you have to get longer mounting brackets made to make it fit properly. If they have resolved this issue and have a bar made that fits the 4Runner properly, I might consider one, though. If I'm paying that kind of money, it better fit right the first time without modifications. JAOS is simply out of my price range. I am wanting this bar for parking lot protection as well, and do not wish to have one that I will get upset about being damaged. I kind of wish to go with stainless or chrome, instead of black (for looks) but perhaps the black is the wiser choice as it can easily be refinished...... still, I prefer the chrome or brushed look. How does road salt affect the brushed stainless? I usually keep vehicles quite clean, but was curious about other peoples experiences with this material.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:37 PM

I have had the Westin Safari Bar. It is OK but not that strong and the lights you can mount on it have to be slim lights. I currently have the KC light bar and it bolts to the frame. Stronger. And you can mount any lights to it.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Q-DawgVFR
Other than the "Hunter" bar which I saw on eBay for $150, does anyone know of any other lower cost bars, compared to the Westin? I'm pretty hesitant to shell out $300 for a Westin bar, especially when you have to get longer mounting brackets made to make it fit properly.
I don't think you'll go too much lower then 150. Being picky about chrome won't help either The black you can touch up real easy...the Westin "Ultimate" bar is about 300, which is silly, yea - their "Safari" version is nearly the same thing, without the stupid skidplate, only for a lot less...I got mine for $135 shipped with mount kit off eBay. Roger Brown 3" blocks will run you about $24 or so. It's made for a Tacoma, so...you'll have to extend it, but it's very easy. Just need the blocks and longer bolts.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by pmbazus
I have had the Westin Safari Bar. It is OK but not that strong and the lights you can mount on it have to be slim lights. I currently have the KC light bar and it bolts to the frame. Stronger. And you can mount any lights to it.
Do you have a picture of the KC lightbar? I realise that the safari / bull bars are not very strong. The main purpose is to provide LOW speed impact protection and a mounting point for lights. I would consider a light bar: it depends how nice it looks. I like the looks of the safari bars best at this point, but I'm open-minded to anything else out there. If you have something custom made, it might give me ideas. I've got access to a welder who doesn't mind welding up small projects for a tiny price; he's family......
Old 12-17-2006, 04:21 PM

Old 12-17-2006, 04:26 PM

Not expecting to get one for less than $150 for brushed stainless... Looking to spend less than $300 (shipped to Canada) on a QUALITY bar that fits and looks nice for my '96 4Runner.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:27 PM

They have them for 4Runners.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:27 PM

Hey, that KC lightbar looks pretty good. Do you mind saying what you paid for it? How does it mount to the truck? Does it work on the 4Runners as well?
Old 01-16-2007, 03:31 PM

Anyone has the websites to the best prices on the Westin and KC lightbar info for a Taco?
Old 01-16-2007, 03:37 PM

just so you know if you get into a front end collision you WILL do more damage to the truck....but it will help for the shopping carts
Old 01-17-2007, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by toyotaoffroad91
just so you know if you get into a front end collision you WILL do more damage to the truck....but it will help for the shopping carts
I think it depends on the particulars of the collision; obviously these things are too weak to provide much crash protection, but a LOW speed (<5 MPH) should provide some protection from parking lot idiots, etc. I'm just interested in it for the purpose of cosmetics and to have a mounting point for several driving lights (wifey hates roof racks!)
Old 01-18-2007, 06:08 AM

I have the Hunter off of ebay.. 150 shipped to the door looks great!

Old 01-18-2007, 12:36 PM
Contributing Member

Westin Safari Bar Is Pretty Clean, Bull Bar If You Want The Skid Plate Look.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:53 PM

Thanks for the picture post of the Hunter bar Mikeinthehouse. I'm really leaning towards that bar, because of its price. How was the installation? Is the fit as good as the looks? Any tidbits of advice or shared experience would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:22 PM

I have a WAAG bar. no longer made.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:25 AM
Contributing Member

just a FYI, the westin safari is made of exhaust piping or something... Very thin.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Q-DawgVFR
Thanks for the picture post of the Hunter bar Mikeinthehouse. I'm really leaning towards that bar, because of its price. How was the installation? Is the fit as good as the looks? Any tidbits of advice or shared experience would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Q it went on very easily.. I did it outside in a light rain even.. It has a bracket that bolts up to where the front subframe is... there are two bolts on each side and you just take them out and put the bracket on and then bolt it back up... there are also some long bolts that come with it that go from the frame through to the bracket to keep it from saggin... ive put all my weight on the front several times and so has everyone else who looks at it... It is real sturdy... very satisfied 150 is the best part

Quick Reply: Bullbars, safari bar, etc.