Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Auto VS Manual transmission throttle body on 3.4

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto VS Manual transmission throttle body on 3.4

Recently, my throttle body has decided to disintegrate. I noticed not to long ago that my '99 4Runner 3.4 doesn't idle down the way it should. So I took the throttle body off, cleaned it out, and while I was in there I cleaned the MAF. Repeat x4, because it was still idling at 1100. The last time I took it apart, I noticed that there is some play in the valve shaft. I also noticed some scoring on the wall of the throttle body. The valve of the throttle body next to the firewall is rubbing enough to prevent the throttle body from closing all the way. I verified this by pulling slightly forward on the linkage "cage" where the cables for the throttle attach, which pulls the slack out of the shaft, pulling the butterfly forward enough to allow it to close... normal idle. Mash the gas pedal, and it's back to idling around 1100.

Long story short, my throttle body is done. So I am looking for a good, low mileage, used TB. The kicker: My truck is a 5 spd. Toyota shows 2 part numbers, one for AT, one for MT. The IAC and TPS are the same for both. Is there ANY reason why I would not be able to use a throttle body off of an automatic? My TB has 3 different linkages, one of which I am assuming would be for a kickdown for an AT.

I am looking for any information I can get, cause I wanna get off this hook as cheaply as possible, and used TB's from automatic trucks are going to be WAY more common than those from MT's.

Thanks in advance!

-Romans
Old 09-15-2009, 09:19 PM

dang man i have almost the same issue and i have tried to post wtb's in the classifieds. i have the 5speed too.

well i found that on my tb the return springs were slightly worn and it wasnt closing the butterfly valve completely causing my truck to idle around 1200. maybe this could be the same on yours. try to rev your motor with the tb and press it back to the idle position hard.

sorry for the tangent. i forgot your looking for a new one anyways
Old 09-16-2009, 05:28 PM

Thanks man. I took a good look at my TB, and I can push on it to get it to close, but when I do, it takes a LOT of force. However, if I pull on the cable linkage in a direction towards the radiator, the shaft slides forward and it idles down. Basically, it's just worn out, and the play in the shaft is the problem. I was able to locate a used one, and it's on the way. If I could make a shim for it, I could get mine working again, and I might, just to have a spare, when I have time.

You might want to check yours too. If you pull it off and clean it, look for scoring against the wall of the bore on the firewall side. What you will see is that the valve is not in the center of the bore, and is closer to one wall, and the brass is rubbing on the aluminum (if you have the same issue) Another way to check, instead of mashing on the linkage to get it closed, try pulling toward the radiator on the wheel where the cables tie in. If it slips forward and the truck idles down, you have the same problem I do. I hope you don't have the same issue, as everyone I have talked to has said "new throttle body", but I hope this helps you not spend more money than you have to!
Old 09-16-2009, 06:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A cheap fix for your throttle body as a shim will most likely be a Teflon washer.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:38 PM

Cutthroat, I know we spoke earlier, but for the others on here I put a 5spd in my 99 auto and used the factory TB. It works fine. I just unhooked the kickdown cable and it's all good.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:30 PM

i kept myself from buying a new one by jimmy riggin' a sping from the "wheel" on the tb to the emptyslot for the auto tranny. it made the pedal harder to push but i got used to it. its a "man's peadal" haha but it was free and that for me