Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

appearance mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 04:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
appearance mods

has anyone seen a website or know of a source for some appearance mods....

maybe im just a ricer trapped in a suv body but hey i kinda like the front bumpers on these....

i stole the pic from one of the other threads sorry
Attached Thumbnails appearance mods-lsc14-10-2.jpg  
Old 01-12-2004, 04:56 AM

Isnt that where their about to race on Fast n da Furious?
Wheres the light tree?
Old 01-12-2004, 04:57 AM

oops forgot to add i have a black 2000 sr5

i primarily want to dress up the front. im trying to steer clear of brush guards and such. I dont go offroading. I just want the front to look a little meaner. Even adding a lip to the front bumper to make it a little more agressive looking would be cool.

anyone have pics of bumper mods? or add a lower valance?
Old 01-12-2004, 05:04 AM
Contributing Member

Dont!

Dont do it! Put down the credit card man, there are hotlines and people here that can help you.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
those looks like an elford front spoiler. contact le. he's probably the guy who has done what you're looking for. i forget his screen name but try google'ing "le + 4runner"

bob
Old 01-12-2004, 09:43 AM
lee
Contributing Member

yikes

getting a huge front spoiler / ground effects / side skirts etc is such a bad idea on a runner.

i mean, why did you buy a truck??
Old 01-12-2004, 10:11 AM
Contributing Member

You know, this might seem out of character for me to say to some of you, but why not? He bought a Runner for the same reasons that we all bought our rigs, he just wants to deck it out out differently.

Personally, I look at the rigs in that photo and *sigh* quietly, it's definately not for me. But after spending some time over on "Custom Taco's", I have developed an appreciation for some of those rigs. Those boys (and girls) put just as much work into their rides as we do and certainly have just as much pride in ownership.

My take is that as long as you are customizing your rig and making it your own, more power to you. Even if I would never even dream of doing that to a rig...

Kimchee, check out the Custom Taco's site. It's Tacoma specific, but I am betting their sources for parts/materials will also cover your Runner.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:44 AM

What's that thing by the corner light on the Runner farthest to the left?
Old 01-12-2004, 10:46 AM
lee
Contributing Member

2nd sideview mirror
Old 01-12-2004, 10:50 AM
lee
Contributing Member

Originally posted by WATRD
My take is that as long as you are customizing your rig and making it your own, more power to you. Even if I would never even dream of doing that to a rig...
theres certainly some merit in what youve said, but i guess im just confused as to why they would choose the runner to do these mods to...
Old 01-12-2004, 10:59 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by lee
theres certainly some merit in what youve said, but i guess im just confused as to why they would choose the runner to do these mods to...
Why not? Perhaps they want the best quality blank canvas to begin with. As I mentioned, it makes no sense to me, for obvious reasons, but I still see the sweat and cash they put into it and I can't help but admire what they have created and be happy for them

To each his own and at least it's not stock The folks who slam their rides put every bit as much effort into reworking the suspension as I have and I respect that. I think I would look like a complete idiot in one of those, but if it suits *them*, good for them.

Last edited by WATRD; 01-12-2004 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:20 AM

I purchased my 4runner purely for aesthetic reasons. not functionality. who can fault me for that?

the 3rd gen runner has got to be one of the best looking SUVs ever. stock performance was a bit on the blah side but I still didnt care. I saw the hoodscoop and fell in love and had to have one.

I had a few friends at my old company take their brand new jeeps out off roading. They came back with scratches all over the sides. I just cant imagine doing that to my precious. At least not yet. maybe when the paints all jacked up and I wont give a hoot.

I love this forum and its die hard off-roadies. I know one day ill get the bug to try it and see what the hubbub is about but for now im happy with pissing off 4 banger ricers in my pig of a car. The supercharger was the best mod I have ever made to the car. Also dont have too much time for off roading cuz right now all my free time goes to riding motorcycles. Got one for sale too check it out

http://www.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/22261846.html

bottom line is i can truly see why people would be disgusted with those body kits. I personally dont want any of the ones pictured I basically want to add about a 4 inch lip to the front bumper to give it a more even look. got to admit, that purely for aesthetic reasons, the car would look a bit more level profile wise if the front bumper hung lower. also doesnt hurt to have a semi unique looking runner that wont get lost in the crowd. I remember buying my oem japanese spoiler back in 2000 and thinking i was the coolest 4runner owner. now everyone and their grannies has one.

Last edited by kimchee; 01-12-2004 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:26 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by lee
I always welcome the speedsters that love to drop the 4runners/tacoma and race them or just for show.

This is good because the aftermarket industry will recognize that these vehicles are good profitable vehicles for upgrades. Thus giving us more options!

The racers help us on the performance side including the stopping side too..

So in some ways, we get the best of both worlds. We get to offroad with power to go and stop

Better a yota than a ford...
Old 01-12-2004, 11:28 AM
lee
Contributing Member

Originally posted by kimchee
the 3rd gen runner has got to be one of the best looking SUVs ever. stock performance was a bit on the blah side but I still didnt care. I saw the hoodscoop and fell in love and had to have one.

I had a few friends at my old company take their brand new jeeps out off roading. They came back with scratches all over the sides. I just cant imagine doing that to my precious. At least not yet. maybe when the paints all jacked up and I wont give a hoot.

I love this forum and its die hard off-roadies. I know one day ill get the bug to try it and see what the hubbub is about but for now im happy with pissing off 4 banger ricers in my pig of a car.
amen, bro. im actually in your exact boat. i didnt mean to sound like a diehard off-roader.. im spending all my hard earned money on my truck (monthly + insurance + gas + etc) while slowly modding it for my daily to-and-from-work / around-city needs. its never so much as seen anything more than a mud trail (very easy, and on the way to a lake.. sort of the path less taken)

the previous owner put like 15 scratches on my car -- a few on the hood, some on the sides, nothing too irregular -- but i hate them! i cant imagine what climbing over rocks for a weekend will do...

gorunners.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking at the way those wipers hinge, I'd say that those 4Runners in the pic you posted are in Japan, and are using Japanese made body kits. Those crazy japanese put body kits on anything and everything including minivans and fullsize vans. I guess I could see more utility in dressling up a van like that than an offroader, but more power to ya.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:34 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by WATRD
You know, this might seem out of character for me to say to some of you, but why not? He bought a Runner for the same reasons that we all bought our rigs, he just wants to deck it out out differently...

Whoa, Rob - you feeling okay?

kimchee:
Don't let what people say affect the pride you take in your runner. I'm only 2WD and people sometimes give me grief for it - I figure hey, you never know... I may feel inclined to do a 2WD -> 4WD coversion
Old 01-12-2004, 11:36 AM
Contributing Member

kimchee:

you might want to talk to "Jason B" here on this board...
He has a site that sells some stuff
http://www.burtmanindustries.com

but i'm sure he'll be able to help you out w/ more details on this topic..
Old 01-12-2004, 11:36 AM

i have to agree with WATRD, everyone has their own opinions on what his or her taco/4runner/truck should look like. we have hard core owners, daily drivers, stockers, and show people. and then you split that between 2wd and 4wd. and then everyone who owns a different model. yes this is a offroad board but we can help others finding out what they need. let's not be a snob about it.

i hate to say it, those 4runners don't look too bad. would i own one, sure, if it was given to me. and those 4runners are oversea ones. in japan, you'll see alot of lowered 4runners or lifted 4runners with "street appearance" packages.

so kimchee, you need to check out some of the import sites especially dealers that deal with importing parts from japan. good luck.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Heh,

I would have ripped those things off a long time ago on some boulder or something.

Of course for the same amount of money you could get a sweet lift and tires...

To each his own, but yech!
Old 01-12-2004, 11:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Tacoma Dude
Whoa, Rob - you feeling okay?
heheheh Yep, just fine I got to wheel in the rocks this weekend and even a Monday at work is not dampening my spirits

I just hate to see one auto affectionado forget the amount of work that another put in. It's fine to not understand the why's or to say "it's not for me", but when someone puts TLC into their ride, they somehow rise above the drones I see on the freeway every day. At least to my mind.

Quick Reply: appearance mods