95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

AirRaid MIT vs Plumbing end caps

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 09:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Airaid MIT vs Plumbing end caps

So for the last year I've been running the ISR mod as documented here:
https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech...r/96runner.htm

I've been generally happy with it, but have always wanted something cleaner than plumbing end caps under my hood. Plus, I had a bit of an issue a couple of months ago where an end cap came loose, got sucked into the intake and wedged in tight enough to shut down the engine - and I didn't get it figured out until the next day.

ANYWAY... Thanks to Dr. Z and Blink (sorry Blink!), I got more interested in the Airaid MIT (Modular Intake Tube). Basically this is a smooth tube that's meant to replace the stock air intake path giving a path with less volume to fill when you step on it. That translates into quicker throttle response.

I tripped over this coupon the other day for 10% off and free shipping on Airaid products from AutoAnything.com, and figured that's good enough for me! (edit: coupon has since expired...)

It showed up today... and 20 minutes after getting home, it was on.

Net results... Smoother idle than the ISR mod, and a smoother pull from about 1600-2200. For whatever reason, that always seemed a bit rough for me. There's also a new sound at WOT versus the ISR mod. The MIT is definitely louder and more hollow in timbre. Nice.

Verdict... Thumbs up! Peace of mind by not worrying about end caps coming off again; better looking under the hood; and a bit more performance.

A side note... Looking through the Airaid products list, you'll find that they don't list an MIT for a 96 4Runner. In fact, the only one they list for Toyota's is for a 99-04 Tacoma and a 99-02 4Runner.

Well, fear not... Even after Airaid themselves told me that this wouldn't fit on my 96, I threw caution to the wind and went for it. SUCCESS! It fits fine.

edit: I finally took some pics!

(click for larger pics)

The connection to a stock MAF will look different - that's a Supra MAF. The Airaid tube comes with an adapter for that end that has a "bubble" of sorts in it.

Last edited by midiwall; 05-26-2006 at 05:21 AM.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet mark! I'm going to start saving my pennies and nickels and purchase me one of them!!

Thanks for the little write up.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:39 PM
Contributing Member

Oh great, do I need to get one of those now, too? :xmas7:
Old 11-18-2004, 09:11 AM

Results update: There's a new sound at WOT versus the ISR mod. The MIT is definitely louder and more hollow in timbre. Nice.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:31 AM
Contributing Member

Any idea how this will affect supercharged applications?

I'm thinking there won't be any noticeable gain on supercharged engine since the ISR didn't really net anything from what I understand.

However, I can imagine NA engine might benefit from it. And for $85, is 1/3 the price of a K&N FIPK and allows you to run the deckplate, too.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by HaveBlue
Any idea how this will affect supercharged applications?

I'm thinking there won't be any noticeable gain on supercharged engine since the ISR didn't really net anything from what I understand.

However, I can imagine NA engine might benefit from it. And for $85, is 1/3 the price of a K&N FIPK and allows you to run the deckplate, too.
Yeah... I can guess that with the SC sucking air at an incredible rate you could use dryer hose in there (with a full twist and a half-gainer!) and it'd be happy.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:38 AM

ill install my boost gauge one of these days and ill tell you if it affects boost
Old 11-18-2004, 07:10 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the link to the mit. I'd like to get one of these myself. Always wanted to do the isr mod but never got around to getting all the items and stuff. Also was scared that sometihng like what you experienced would happen. Besides the gains, looks like it'll make changing plugs a bit easier too. So did you have any trouble fitting it in your runner or did it fit right in? I dont really know whats the difference between the 99+ intakes and the 96-98 ones.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:17 PM
Contributing Member

Great info Mark! I think the ISR mod has been getting a bad rap lately, and I think I need to defend it. If you use the threaded black cleanout plug, there will not be a problem. However, I am totally for the MIT, which looks better and now that you say it sounds better, well crap, add that to the list I guess. Doug's looked really cool in his SC'd engine bay, I might add.

Anyway, I am going to stick with the beefier threaded cleanout plug for now, but I will be watching you MIT dudes closely. Let me know if you smoke any ricers with it.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Henryv
So did you have any trouble fitting it in your runner or did it fit right in? I dont really know whats the difference between the 99+ intakes and the 96-98 ones.
Honestly, I couldn't tell you. Looking at the pics in the instructions for the 99 and my 96, I couldn't see any difference. Well, there may be a slight more angle on the 96, but its nothing that the rubber collar(s) can't absorb.

The only thing I can suggest is that you put on the MAF end first, as that collar is a bit stiffer (and thus has less flex) than the one on the throttle body end. But honestly, I did it in under 20 minutes, and now having done it, it's like a 2 minute job on or off.

Hey Christian!

Yeah, I don't mean to bad-rap the ISR mod... Galen was the one to sell me on it many moons ago and I really had enjoyed it. Like I said above, given the one experience (that cost me a trail ride the next day!), just wanting things to clean-up a bit under hood and having that fake feeling of being cash heavy at the time ... I went for it!
Old 11-19-2004, 07:44 AM

Midiwall - Can you get the dims for your MIT? It looks like the right shape and bend for a 2nd genner, but I'm not sure about the length. Am trying to find donors for test fitting if possible.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Let me know if you smoke any ricers with it.
You know it! and i have the tires to prove it...lol
Old 11-19-2004, 07:49 AM

Holy crap your signutare is frickin big!! ^^^
Old 11-19-2004, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Denk
Midiwall - Can you get the dims for your MIT? It looks like the right shape and bend for a 2nd genner, but I'm not sure about the length. Am trying to find donors for test fitting if possible.
I'll write myself a note to scribble up a diagram... I'll try to get it done tonight for ya'.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:09 AM

rad...thanks.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:30 PM

Okay.. hopefully this will help ya' out:

(click for a larger pic)

The numbers in blue/purple are the lengths of the sections as marked.
The numbers in red are the size of the _COUPLERS_ (not the pipe) on that end. The couplers are rubber and have a good amount of give in them.

Lemme know if you need anything else!
Old 11-19-2004, 10:29 PM

Location: Grew up in Santa Clarita/San Fernando Valley's...now in Washington State
If only airraid willmake a M.I.T. for the 3.0.....::;wonderin If the tube for the 3.4 canbe made to fit:::smoke pouring outta ears...
Old 11-23-2004, 12:55 PM

Will take that diagram and make a mock up to see if it will fit the 3.0. Post results at a later date. Thanks.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:02 PM
Away

Cool beans, Mark! I didn't see this thread and probably wouldn't have had you not sent me the linky.

Glad you like it.

Peace.
G
Old 11-24-2004, 08:12 AM

I second the MIT. I have had mine on for about a year now and I can only say good things about it. Glad to hear others are enjoying this fairly inexpensive mod.

Quick Reply: AirRaid MIT vs Plumbing end caps