Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

ADDCO Front Anti-Sway Bar Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2004, 04:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can some one recommend what type of lube to use on the bushings for the sway bars and end links. I hear that if they are not well greased that there can be noise issues. Thanks.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:58 AM

is it to late to get in on the rear endlinks?

manymods, i have a 2001 Runner and think i am having some of the issues stated in this thread. i hope u don't mind i copied 1 of ur pics and circled a couple of things that i know i am experiencing. i hope someone can help.

the bolt circled in yellow - i can not keep tight. i've tried lock washers, lock-tite, etc. any ideas? what size bolts are u using?

the bolts cirlced in blue - what torque rating did u use? did u just crank down on them as hard as possible?

also, u talked of elongating the forward mounting holes. any chance of getting a pic and circling the area mentioned. i tried looking thru the pics u currently have posted, but i couldn't really see much.

thanks in advance,
brian
Attached Thumbnails ADDCO Front Anti-Sway Bar Problem-addco-end-link-installation-31jan04-008_a.jpg  

Last edited by broknlgs24; 03-04-2004 at 07:22 AM.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am still away from home so I cannot give answers to everything; however, ...

1) CHRIS: The front endlinks and bushing brackets are functioning well from what I can sense from the driving position but I will get underneith again when I get home for one more look. When we did the coil-overs everything was tight with no stress cracks, shifting or bends and I have been pushing the envelope since the springs went in.

2) BRIAN: Call Addco and tell them you want the endlinks. I expect that they made additional sets but the bottom line is ... first come first served. I used Nyloc nuts and cranked down on them as hard as I could. They are stainless and I would be very surprised if one of us could break them by hand without a 24" - 36" breaker bar. As for the endlinks, I did this by feel. You want them tight to the point where the donut bushings start to bulge but do not totally distort.

3) PHOSHO: You should use some sort of Moly lube or graphite lube.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:07 AM

Amended response

Brian ...
I looked at that picture again and it looks like I also used a split washer in conjunction with the Nyloc nut.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:19 AM

manymods, i just called and ordered a set. they made 5 sets. 3, are now sold.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by broknlgs24
manymods, i just called and ordered a set. they made 5 sets. 3, are now sold.
DAMN! That is too bad, not that you got a set, but that they only made the 5 sets I asked for, because that means someone is not going to get their's. I have the other two sets sold. If the ones of us who are getting them report good impressions with them, then maybe we can get Addco to make more.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:47 AM
Contributing Member

Does the sway bar kit with end links (front) come with all the necessary hardware other than the bar bushing bolts, nuts, washers, ect...? I see that some seem to be beefing up the end link connections also. The hardware that is specified on Jalabers site is 8.8 grade zinc coated and doesn't seem to be run of the mill. I found 10+grade witch is harder but could be more brittle, why use 8.8? . If I make an effort to gather the specialty hardware I'd like to get everything in one shot. Does it make sense to go anywhere other than home depot for the hardware?

Manymods, did the ES bracket crack on the front facing side or the rear of the bracket?

Last edited by phosho; 03-04-2004 at 09:06 AM. Reason: after thought
Old 03-04-2004, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by phosho
Does the sway bar kit with end links (front) come with all the necessary hardware other than the bar bushing bolts, nuts, washers, ect...? I see that some seem to be beefing up the end link connections also. The hardware that is specified on Jalabers site is 8.8 grade zinc coated and doesn't seem to be run of the mill. I found 10+grade witch is harder but could be more brittle, why use 8.8? . If I make an effort to gather the specialty hardware I'd like to get everything in one shot. Does it make sense to go anywhere other than home depot for the hardware?

Manymods, did the ES bracket crack on the front facing side or the rear of the bracket?
I think the kit number is #607 and I think it consists of the endlinks, sleeves, spring sleeves (you probably will not want to use them because they are for tuning), polygraphite bushings and bushing washers, and endlink nuts and washers, etc. and angle bracket adapters, not the bar bushing/brackets The angle bracket adapters do not come with mouning hardware so that is where you will need to go to Home Depot. With all due respect to James, his specifications are redundant on the overkill side, but that is not bad. Use the information as a guideline and do what you think makes sense. I used stainless hardware where ever possible because I do not want any thing rusting. When you look at the mounting stud bolt from the OEM endlink, you will be able to gauge what size bolt to use with the new adapter bracket. It will all make sense to you; I just cannot remember the sizes I used off the top of my head. Sorry. As for the cracked bar bushing brakets, they both broke on the forward tabs. My assessment was that the bar needs to move forward for proper alignment. YMMV.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:52 PM
funglenn

Question for all of you... I used the factory front and rear endlinks with EVERYTHING except for the bolts, but everything is still tight, and no cracks after 8 months, (basically I used the addco bars and EVERYTHING else from OEM toyota)

I have the gold NOT red bars.

Should I be worried?

Last edited by funglenn; 03-04-2004 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by funglenn
Question for all of you... I used the factory front and rear endlinks with EVERYTHING except for the bolts, but everything is still tight, and no cracks after 8 months, (basically I used the addco bars and EVERYTHING else from OEM toyota)

I have the gold NOT red bars.

Should I be worried?
That is really hard to say, but the short answer is NO. A lot depends on your driving conditions and style. Also, there is no difference between the red and gold bars, and you had to have used the Addco or some other aftermarket mfg bar bushings because of the increased OD. If you are using the ES bushings that jalaber recommended, then you are using the wrong ones according to what the recommendation that ES would give you. However, if it ain'tg broke...don't fix it, just keep an eye on the brackets. For me and probably others, the changes are merited because of the peace of mind factor. If an endlink lets go or a bar bracket lets go, it is most assured that you will not lose control of the vehicle, but you will feel or hear something suspicious.
Old 03-05-2004, 05:22 AM
Contributing Member

Personally I am not going to worry or change out parts at this point. My time to work on the 4R is limited at this point. I do a thourough look over at each oil change and so far so good. I think it is great that Peter is getting further research and ideas out there and actually getting Addco to produce new bars / links, etc. If I notice any change in my front brackets I will definetly try the new ES front bar brackets, dont think they were available a few years ago.

As far as using the front/rear addco links without ball joint goes, my current set-up is giving me a ride I feel comfortable with, at times even too harsh in certain conditions. So making the ride more flatter by stiffening the connection of end link to bar, is something I dont feel like trying. But I can fully understand why people would want to tweak the set-up.
Old 03-05-2004, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by jalaber
Personally I am not going to worry or change out parts at this point. My time to work on the 4R is limited at this point. I do a thourough look over at each oil change and so far so good. I think it is great that Peter is getting further research and ideas out there and actually getting Addco to produce new bars / links, etc. If I notice any change in my front brackets I will definetly try the new ES front bar brackets, dont think they were available a few years ago.

As far as using the front/rear addco links without ball joint goes, my current set-up is giving me a ride I feel comfortable with, at times even too harsh in certain conditions. So making the ride more flatter by stiffening the connection of end link to bar, is something I dont feel like trying. But I can fully understand why people would want to tweak the set-up.
It needs to be said, for those who have not read James's "how to" writeup on the Addco bars, that it is an incredible, well written, descriptive and professional primer on installing anti-sway bars. Anyone thinking of this mod should start by printing it out and keeping it in their files. Thank you for your effort jalaber.
Old 03-05-2004, 10:54 AM
Contributing Member

Has anybody installed the ES-9.5172 bushing? Was there any additional modification necessary for this bracket to work? What exactly is the difference between this one and ES-9.5165? Thanks
Old 03-05-2004, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by ManyMods
DAMN! That is too bad, not that you got a set, but that they only made the 5 sets I asked for, because that means someone is not going to get their's. I have the other two sets sold. If the ones of us who are getting them report good impressions with them, then maybe we can get Addco to make more.

Are these end links for the front? or rear? I was on the list to get rear end links, do i need to call addco for that?

Thanks
Old 03-05-2004, 11:48 AM
Contributing Member

3/2
For the 3 -4 guys who wanted the Addco design REAR endlinks, they are ready.
I dont think they are holding any. This may be a first come first serve deal.
Old 03-05-2004, 01:44 PM

manymods, i just crawled under my Runner and noticed that this bracket (see attached) is cracked. plus, i don't think my bracket looks anything like yours. where did u get yours from?
Attached Thumbnails ADDCO Front Anti-Sway Bar Problem-addco-end-link-installation-31jan04-008_a.jpg  
Old 03-06-2004, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bratik
Are these end links for the front? or rear? I was on the list to get rear end links, do i need to call addco for that?

Thanks
YES! Call them first thing Monday morning and ask for Trey. These are the new REAR endlinks.
Old 03-06-2004, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by broknlgs24
manymods, i just crawled under my Runner and noticed that this bracket (see attached) is cracked. plus, i don't think my bracket looks anything like yours. where did u get yours from?
Yours is the old style and they have made them a lot stronger now. Call Addco and tell them you have their old brackets and they cracked. They should send you new ones at no charge.
Old 03-06-2004, 05:53 PM
Contributing Member

Manymods have you installed the ES-9.5172 bushing? Was there any additional modification necessary for this bracket to work? What exactly is the difference between this one and ES-9.5165? Thanks
Old 03-06-2004, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by phosho
Manymods have you installed the ES-9.5172 bushing? Was there any additional modification necessary for this bracket to work? What exactly is the difference between this one and ES-9.5165? Thanks
I have the heavy duty (truck) 5172 bushings installed. I elongated the front mounting holes by about 1/4 - 5/16" to better position the clamps so as to reduce stress on them. The 5172's are for trucks vs the 5165 clamps that are for sedans.

Quick Reply: ADDCO Front Anti-Sway Bar Problem