Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

99 Runner problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 Runner problems

First of all this is on a 99 4Runner Limited 4x4 3.4. Cranked it up this morning, realized I left something in the house. Cut it off and got my crap cranked up and drove off. Got to a red light and it started idling funny and something up front was vibrating really bad. I could feel it in my seat! I thought I had broken a motor mount.....It does get up to speed but I do feel a loss of power. The check engine light is NOT on. I got to work and turned it off and it cranked back up but it's still idling funny and vibrating.

It's due for an oil change but other than that it should be good. I haven't had time to check anything this morning because I was already running late.

Do you guys have any ideas?? Need to get this fixed!
Old 09-01-2011, 08:22 AM

check your oil level first.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:28 AM

I'm planning on doing that first at lunch. Would running low on oil cause it to run like that?? No previous problems until this morning.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:33 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
sounds like spark plugs....
Old 09-01-2011, 08:34 AM

if it was really low it could.

If you find it is low on oil, try to get a friend to drive you to get some rather than driving your car agian.

Also, check you gas cap to make sure it is tight. A loose cap would trow a CEL but you might as well check it too.

Good luck
Old 09-01-2011, 09:12 AM

I don't think this is spark plugs making it vibrate like it is. I've driven a vehicle with bad plugs before, but usually it doesn't happen overnight. If it's not low on oil I'll pull a plug and see what they look like. They probably need changing if I had to guess anyhow. Truck has 145k on it. I bought it with 110k.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:23 AM

So I went out and checked the oil.....it is in between the dots....still running rough, vibrating the entire truck....when I cranked it this time the check engine light came on and stayed on.

Who can I get to check the code?? Toyota dealership right down the road but I don't really trust those guys.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:29 AM
Contributing Member

AutoZone/Advanced Auto Parts can check the code.

I would recommend AutoZone as the last time I had Advanced pull a code, they couldn't print anything out showing what code it was. AutoZone can give you a printout of the actual code so you have it for the future.

As long as your oil level is fine (and all other fluids for that matter), then driving it to either store should be ok. Just take it easy and watch the temps just in case.

Can you also list out all of the recent maintenance that has been done to it in the last 10,000 miles or so? That will help us get a feel for where it is.

Fink
Old 09-01-2011, 09:35 AM

The only thing I've done in the past 10k miles is an oil change. I have never changed the plugs. Simply because it always ran fine. I bought a k&n filter for it when it had about 115k on it. So the air filter shouldn't be the problem. The only maintainence I've done to it is regular oil changes, a tranny service right after I got it, and rotating the tires.

Like I said before, it's got 145k miles on it and I have no idea if the plugs or wires have been changed. The timing belt was changed with about 90k miles on it. I drove it 15 miles to work this morning and the temp stayed at its normal temp. The check engine light that just came on is the first time I've ever seen it on.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by ZUK
sounds like spark plugs....

Ran over to Auto Zone....pulled P0304.

Cylinder 4 misfire detected. Probable causes
1-Weak/Missing Spark
2-Plugged Fuel Injector
3-Engine Mechanical Fault
4-Large Vacuum leak specific to cylinder

Went ahead and bought oil & filter to change oil....also bought some seafoam in hopes of cleaning out the injectors, and bought 6 new plugs. Planning on changing them out this afternoon. Anything I should be looking for while changing them?? Tips/Tricks??

Went through the drive threw while I was out and it smoothed out a couple of times while I was sitting there.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Contributing Member

You need to get OEM/Denso plugs, I would not recommend anything else - do some searching on here and you will see why.

Any Toyota dealer will have tons of them in stock and they are worth every penny.

Also, I'm assuming it is a wet/oiled filter that you got from K&N, correct? If so, you may want to check your MAF and be sure it isn't covered with filter oil. K&N's (really any oiled filter) are known for this and while it most likely wouldn't throw the misfire code, it is definitely worth it to check it out. You can clean it with brake cleaner, I believe the brand I used was CNC...red/white can at AutoZone. Just be very careful not to touch the two "prongs" you will see.

Fink

Last edited by Fink; 09-01-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Fink
You need to get OEM/Denso plugs, I would not recommend anything else - do some searching on here and you will see why.

Any Toyota dealer will have tons of them in stock and they are worth every penny.

Also, I'm assuming it is a wet/oiled filter that you got from K&N, correct? If so, you may want to check your MAF and be sure it isn't covered with filter oil. K&N's (really any oiled filter) are known for this and while it most likely wouldn't throw the misfire code, it is definitely worth it to check it out. You can clean it with brake cleaner, I believe the brand I used was CNC...red/white can at AutoZone. Just be very careful not to touch the two "prongs" you will see.

Fink
Well crap...I bought 6 NGK plugs while I was there. Should I return them without a doubt?
Old 09-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Contributing Member

IIRC, they came with Denso on one side and NGK on the other.

I have always used the Denso's you get at the dealership with perfect results.

If it were me, I would take them back and go get yourself some true OEM/Denso plugs from Toyota.

Fink
Old 09-01-2011, 11:10 AM

Alright...any links to changing the MAF?? I know it's on the intake but I'd hate to F that up.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:24 AM

Nevermind I found it. Taking the rest of the day off to go change plug wires, plugs, clean MAF, throttle body amongst other things. Thanks for all of your help....I hope this will solve my problems.
Old 09-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Contributing Member

Just to confirm, you are not replacing the MAF...just cleaning it a little bit with some brake cleaner.

Good luck!

Fink
Old 09-01-2011, 12:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nothing wrong with NGK's in my opinion, they are just as OEM as the Denso, as both were used at the factory. It's just that Toyota North America only carries the Denso's. I've been running NGK's since the first change; NAPA has them and the NAPA store is 15 miles closer than the dealer for me.

You want to examine the #4 plug carefully and compare it to the others. Take a look at this chart from NGK:http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_su...qs/faqread.asp A good look at your old plugs is a good X-Ray into the health of your engine.

Last edited by TheDurk; 09-01-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TheDurk
Nothing wrong with NGK's in my opinion, they are just as OEM as the Denso, as both were used at the factory. It's just that Toyota North America only carries the Denso's. I've been running NGK's since the first change; NAPA has them and the NAPA store is 15 miles closer than the dealer for me.

You want to examine the #4 plug carefully and compare it to the others. Take a look at this chart from NGK:http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_su...qs/faqread.asp A good look at your old plugs is a good X-Ray into the health of your engine.

Fink
Old 09-01-2011, 02:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fink

Fink
Thanks. And here I disagreed with you in Par. 1.

OP should also look at the outside insulator. Tracks or burns on the outside could indicate boot problems that should be investigated.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:42 PM
Contributing Member

It's all good - I'm just a freak and only trust parts directly from the dealer.

Fink

Quick Reply: 99 Runner problems