Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

98 4runner HIDZ WITH PICS!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 4runner HIDZ WITH PICS!!!!

So I picked up some plug N play Hids from mobilehid.com and they are wicked. I thought that I would share them with you guys. Also please, I have herd plenty of you grumbling and complaing about these kits so I would rather not hear it. Tell me what you think!

* I love how wide the beam is too! It makes so much of a difference. Plus I havent gotten any pissed off drivers flashing their high beams at me.

They look kinda blue with the pics but they are a lot more white in person.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:59 PM
Contributing Member

VS.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We grumble because HID's w/o the proper projectors are retarded and illegal. If you blind an on-coming police officer I'm sure you'll find out the hard way. Save those parts and build a proper retrofit.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think it looks good. The brighter without blinding anyone the better i say!
Old 01-08-2008, 07:35 PM

hey if it works, thats great in my book. They look (and work) great IMO.

God Job
Old 01-08-2008, 07:37 PM

Looks good, I'm getting my HID's installed tomorrow, but I will do the projector mod. You should get some clear corners & signal lens to w/ some superwhite bulbs, it'll look good with the HID's.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What is the projector mod?
Old 01-08-2008, 07:39 PM

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/h...w-pics-133563/
Old 01-08-2008, 07:52 PM
Contributing Member

Those cutoff's look pretty good for a non projector headlight...
Old 01-08-2008, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
We grumble because HID's w/o the proper projectors are retarded and illegal. If you blind an on-coming police officer I'm sure you'll find out the hard way. Save those parts and build a proper retrofit.
Best to do it well or not at all. I'm with rearview all the way on this - coming from first hand experience ( yesterday's! )

We have a ton of cars driving around with bright blue, pink, gold lights, whatever and whatnot. Yesterday, I was blinded my someone turning into the intersection that I was in and nearly knocked down a delivery guy on a bike because suddenly, I couldn't see at all and had to look away to the side completely. I had spots in my eyes for a good couple of minutes afterwards...whatever for? This almost NEVER happens with new vehicles with HIDs that are properly fitted.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:04 PM

Dude, I know you don't want to hear it, but you are halfway there! You already have the HIDs, so why not throw some projectors in there and get way better output? If you just want bragging rights to say "I have HIDs" then I guess you've accomplished that, but if you really want better output, trust me when I say that you NEED projectors.

Plus then you won't have to hear everyone bitchin about how you're blinding everyone...
Old 01-08-2008, 11:51 PM

The projectors are great and I have had the time,money,and resourses to scare up some projectors I totally would, I did plenty of adjusting and so they are not up in peoples eyes and what not. Also I have passed several cops and have not even hesitated to put their foot on the break.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:43 AM

heres my hids 55watt 5000k bixenon kit from www.retro-solutions.com

Last edited by riceandpho; 01-09-2008 at 04:48 AM. Reason: pics
Old 01-09-2008, 10:02 AM

I just did this mod to my '96, but to be honest, I was kinda dissapointed as it really does put out more light, but not exactly where I want it.

I went with a plug n play bi-xenon HID kit, which functions OK, but I really wish I had '99+ housings so I could do a PROPER retrofit. A word of caution to those installing a plug n play bi-xenon kit: I had to reverse the polarity on the wires for the shield solenoid as when I initially installed it, low beam was blinding and the high beams had cut-off.

Please take it from one who has tried it: plug n play kits are NOT the way to go. If you have '96-98 headlight housings like me and are totally against spending the extra money to do it right, at the very least buy yourself the bi-xenon plug n play kits, because at least they provide SOME cut-off. With the cut-off, the HID lights are pretty hard on the eyes but just barely tolerable (I don't get flashed when I drive, and the shield removes the worst of the hot spots for me.), Without the shields to provide some cut-off you are seriously being an a$$hole to other drivers, and I can't see how you could possibly drive without blinding the crap out of someone.

As for those of you with the '99+ headlight housings, the projectors are really not THAT much money. You can even find people online to do the proper retrofit for you if you are squeamish about hacking up your light housings. And if you already have a plug n play kit, chances are that you can keep the headlight pigtail/relay/ballast assembly and simply replace the high tension wire to those which mate to proper D2S capsules (bulbs) in order to plug into your new projector setup. So you need not start over completely.

If I keep the 4Runner more than the next year (we are tentatively planning on selling it after wife gets out of school and getting 4th gen), I WILL find the time and money to get '99 housings and some bi-xenon projectors to do this mod right like I should have from the start.

The people that are always talking about doing it right are NOT being snobs because they did it better; they are really trying to give helpful advice.

PLEASE LISTEN TO THEM.

And the biggest reason to do it right is for yourself. You are really selling yourself short not taking advantage of the superior lighting ability that proper optics will bring you. You will get the BEST of both worlds; you will not blind people AND you will have TONS of light WHERE YOU NEED IT!!!!

End of rant (nearly), but I thought I would chime in, since I've been on both sides of the fence.

Not trying to come down on anyone who has done or is considering the aftermarket plug n play kits. (You seldom influence people by calling them stupid or insulting them in your opening sentence!)

Simply trying to help shed some light (ha ha) and educate people.

Reftrofit source gives some quick knowledge on the subject and seems to have pretty good prices on conversions parts, too.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:18 AM

Why doesn't someone step up to the plate and offer to do a retrofit? MAybe they list the cost if they buy everything or costs if you send in everything that it needed.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by 98runner210
Why doesn't someone step up to the plate and offer to do a retrofit? MAybe they list the cost if they buy everything or costs if you send in everything that it needed.
Because it's about $5-600 to do it right. Add labor costs on top of that and no one here would be willing to pay up...
Old 01-09-2008, 02:11 PM

^ He's right. Everyone wants them, no one wants to pay for them. I've done heaps of retro's my 4runner is next, but I couldn't imagine selling them. For one, warranty for incorrectly installed lights would eat up what little profit you make and honestly, it takes quite a few hours to make them, more than anyone would be willing to pay me for.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:34 PM

If you don't want to hear people grumble, don't post (esp. in a public forum). Like the pic UNR posted, compared to a properly setup HID, yours looks like crap.

I hope you see the "light" and set it up proper with projectors.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:12 PM

Man I got my HID's installed today and the high beam is a stock halogen bulb! I ordered the Bi-Xenon but I don't believe that's what they sent me....
Old 01-09-2008, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Fo_SheeZy
Man I got my HID's installed today and the high beam is a stock halogen bulb! I ordered the Bi-Xenon but I don't believe that's what they sent me....

High beam should be a stock halogen. Most manufacturers use halogens as high beams because flashing your headlights is hard on the other bulbs.

Quick Reply: 98 4runner HIDZ WITH PICS!!!!