Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

98 3rz-fe troubleshooting odd clicking (timing chain?)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 3rz-fe troubleshooting odd clicking (timing chain?)

Ok I've got an intermittent problem of hearing this chatter or clicking. It's not a valve tick because I know what that sounds like from my 22r lol. Until everything is warmed up I don't hear it and then only when I'm in gear and either not applying power or very slight power. Nothing at idle and nothing under heavy skinny pedal use.

My guess is the timing chain? I read that it sounds like a clicking noise. My very first thought was the front gears but that was not the case. I drained all fluids out of the gear boxes and no metal shavings at all (thank God).

So that leaves me with my guess of timing chain. Now I've done an engine swap on my old 22r truck and I've done water pumps and stuff like that but never a timing chain. How hard is it?

Mostly financial reasoning but if I go through the dealer it's $1000 in parts alone and I'm not going to try and guess the labor. So alotta $$$. However I have someone to blame if it blows up

If I go through LC Engineering the HD timing chain basic is $250 and the balance shaft delete kit is $100. Toss in a new water pump at $67 bucks plus a MLS head gasket and New studs for just over $200. This brings me to a total of $600 bucks in parts give or take $50 bucks. Plus it's me doing the work so no labor fees. Just a few days at the hobby shop in a flat bay totaling about $70 bucks. If you're wondering whether I would be alone there are certified techs to help....but they're not doing the work for you either.

As a note I know I am using upgraded parts. I slowly am building this engine up just to help the 3rz pull the 4runner up the hills. A stage 1 or 2 cam is probably all it will ever see with a piggyback but all I'm looking for is a bit more

Would it be a good idea if I did it myself to deck the head? (or is this only with a new matchup with a head to an engine block)

Also is there anything else I should do while I'm in there? I knew about the water pump (thermostat too) but there's plenty I can access from the front of the engine.

I'm not unskilled with tools but timing chains affect a large portion of whether the damn engine works or not lol. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Last edited by KryptoRoxx; 10-17-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-16-2013, 01:54 PM

hey there dude. I'm having the exact same problem. Mine only ticks once the engine is warm. heres a link to my current thread about this so you can stay in the loop if I fix it.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/1.../#post52139495

Old 11-16-2013, 02:21 PM

Hey thanks man! I'm subscribed.

Beamed from my dumb phone using Yotatech