Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

'97 Runner w/ 250k, what am I getting into?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 06:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'97 Runner w/ 250k, what am I getting into?

Wifey wrecked my F350
Wants to drive my '94 PU and doesn't know how to drive stick. Needless to say after the first lesson I'm not thrilled about teaching her on my old girl.

So on the hunt for something cheap for her, not too much of a pos, but a little bit of pos. And I have found wifey a cheap pos, that's not such a pos that we can't make it great.

It's a '97 4runner Limited. Body is clean and rust free, frame is straight and rust free, interior isn't too bad. Engine is leaking like a sieve AND it has 250,000 miles on it. I think I can get it for $3k, maybe $3.5k if I can't wrangle the dealer down more.

Tomorrow I'll do a compression test.

It needs driver and passenger seats recovered and new foam. Now.

It needs top end gaskets, though probably not head gaskets. How bad is working on the 3.4? Pretty much like working on the 3VZE? Timing belt too I guess while I"m there.

Auto trans, what do I need to look for? Is there any hopups for this trans to make it better?

Desperately needs shocks, but I'm thinking a 3" lift. Can y'all recommend a brand that's better than all the others? Anyone got a good used one for sale?

Gonna do tube bumpers like I did on my truck (PFA)

Tires are decent, but are stock 31", they'll do for a while anyway.

Needs a paintjob, but it's white now so we can paint it any color. Wifey wants periwinkle blue w/ flames.

What do you all think? Should I go for it and make a classic out of it? Or run away?

Old 01-22-2017, 12:02 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I guess it depends just how much work the wife can do!!

She will be the one doing the work correct

Find someone else to teach her to drive a manual Transmission Husbands and wives make for a very bad teacher student relationship at least in this case

As to the 4Runner who can say it might be a money pit it might only need a little work

My first thing is a auxiliary trans cooler get the trans fluid out of the radiator

Aircabinman on Ebay has great deals on timing belt kits

I have never bought a used Toyota 4X4 that did not take $1000.00 in parts
Old 01-22-2017, 03:56 AM

How's this lift?
https://bilsteinlifts.com/shop/toyot...oyota-4runner/
Old 01-22-2017, 04:51 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
$$

Just how wrecked is that ford you couldn't get it fixed for the kind of money your listing to replace it.

runner 3.5k, lift 1.4, reupholster .5+, tube .6+, paint .1-1k, graphics .1-.5+.

That is upwards of 7k and that's just to make it look the way you want, zero spend on maintenance or repairs.

Buy a sub 1k anything off Craigslist with a manual transmission, park her on a hill get out and say I'll see you at home.. cheaper than replacing your clutch..
Old 01-22-2017, 11:05 AM

Well, we bought it. $4k out the door. 251kmi. I gotta b nutz. Good compression 175-185.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:41 PM

Ok then, i guess this project is starting
Old 01-22-2017, 04:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
It looks like a good start.

People have already mentioned the pink milkshake (coolant/trans fluid mix via the radiator) and also look into lower ball joint failures because of the way they fail. If that hasn't been taken care of or you don't know definitely put it on the to-do now list. Use oe for those.

Another lift kit option is Sonoran Steel. I've got the 1.2 on my daily driver since '09, decent street manners, been very happy with it and with Steve.

There's a terrific valve cover how-to video out there. I thought it was pretty easy to do. Pics in my build thread with some links and here's one link to start 4runner valve cover how-to http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...-s-n-pics.html

Last edited by habanero; 01-22-2017 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:13 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
2012 F350, seems like your insurance would fix it or did you owe more than it was worth?

4Runner looks like a good base. the missus looks happy but with the engine leaking like crazy I would fix that before thinking of the cosmetic crap
Old 01-23-2017, 04:03 AM

I had a front tire off the ground and gave it a good shake. Nothing moved. Will check the ball joints closer, thanks.

On the hotlist is
Phase 1
fix the leaks
change all it's fluids
shocks (and lift since I don't want to do that twice.)
Bumpers. I used to make these for a living and still have all the equip (except a set of bottles) so this will not be expensive except in my time. See pic of my Yota for reference.
1-1.5" body lift. Because the bumpers are all custom and fit to the body is important, it's either do it before or don't do it and a body lift is not only cheap lift, but gives more clearance for working on things.
Figure out what's failing in the LH passenger window. Is this a regulator? Can it be fixed or does it have to be replaced?
Rear window bottom trim
brakes, at least the front, couldn't get the drums off to see about the rear.
trans cooler

Phase 2
tires and wheels
paint
shift kit

Phase 3
supercharger
stereo/nav

All in all my calculations show we'll have $14k invested in a pretty kick azz vehicle that she can be proud of.

The F350 is not totaled and it's paid off next year, BUT I have had crashed vehicles before and they are always a nightmare. It'll be stripped of all the goodies and sold. I met Silver II over the weekend. With any luck it'll still be on the dealer's lot a month from now when I've sold mine and I'll get a new one. No need to tell me I'm crazy, I already know this.

Last edited by MonsterMaxx; 01-23-2017 at 04:07 AM.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:12 AM

She's already hamming it up in the new car photo, no doubt she's going to love it (anytime you don't have it in pieces, bwahaha)

Might I suggest you move some of your list items?

Seperate "hot fix" and stage one. Putting things such as brakes, fresh fluids, the window as "hot fix", and probably the transmission cooler also. (even if mine is routed into the radiator still, Uh stop reminding me I'm trying to ignore it!)..

The complete reseal could coincide with the shift kit, if these are done in the same stage as the suspension lift you will have the opportunity to seperate the engine/transmission from the chassis giving greater access to both.

And finally, the Sat nav stereo system seems out of place with the forced induction, but maybe you have bigger plans for that than the normal off the shelf kit.. flip down big screen in the boot and a dash mounted projection system?

I either forgot or never noticed the other ones bumber was a custom one off. Looked great from here, good job

Last edited by Co_94_PU; 01-23-2017 at 05:13 AM. Reason: Un quoted
Old 01-23-2017, 05:17 AM

Ps

You still should maybe have someone else walk her through operating a manual transmission and clutch. I'd still get the Craigslist beater also some of your list will have her couped up with out transport, and it's still cheaper than replacing clutch almost free if you can resell the beater for what you payed the seller.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:38 AM

The 'runner is an auto, my '94 is manual and I'm probably not going to bother teaching her.

I figured the supercharger was in the neighborhood of 'when a used one comes avail'. Gonna keep my eye on the classifieds.

Last edited by MonsterMaxx; 01-23-2017 at 07:40 AM.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by MonsterMaxx
The 'runner is an auto, my '94 is manual and I'm probably not going to bother teaching her.

I figured the supercharger was in the neighborhood of 'when a used one comes avail'. Gonna keep my eye on the classifieds.
yep yep got that first bit, what is she to do while your installing lifts kits and suspension ect.. just saying. But if neither of you have interest in that I understand.

Ooh OK now the last stage fits together in my head.. if and when they come along to good to pass up items. Roger!
Old 01-23-2017, 08:02 AM

I'm going to hit it hard and knock out all this stuff while we are still under the rental for the F350. After that, the only item that's more than a weekend is the paint. We will just have to deal with it.

I hear ya though, it'd be nice if she learned to drive stick. Another vehicle just for that isn't going to happen. I wish there was a school I could send her to for this. Maybe I can teach her on my truck in little bites.

Step 1 is deciding on a suspension & shocks. The shocks MUST be done asap and there's just no point in buying shocks twice.

Could probably stretch the budget to this
http://www.sonoransteel.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_2_4&produ cts_id=3&zenid=b1f1e1a2943f033fdf537f9bea82da97
Or
https://bilsteinlifts.com/shop/toyot...oyota-4runner/

I'm a big believer in excellent shocks and really, I like adjustable ones so I can tune them to my preference. W/ my 350 which has King Piggyback adjustable I tune them all the time depending on what I'm doing. Running for groceries is a very different setting than towing the 16klbs toyhauler. The 4runner doesn't have that kind of budget (or Icon), but maybe there's something we can afford which will be good enough.

Also, need a recommendation for trans cooler. as I'll do that in phase 1 too.

My '94 has found that factory pads work best and leave the least dust, this true for the '97 too? I can probably push this out a month or two, or maybe just knock it out now and get it over with. Front needs pads and rotors, not sure about the rear yet.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:24 AM

What's about the upper control arms? I see several of the kits offer them ($400.) Why would I need them?
Old 01-23-2017, 12:16 PM

OK, after a bit of research...only sonoran's is a complete kit. All the others leave out brake lines and track bars and whatnot. Looks like sonoran's is the kit for us.

Looks like I got $550 in mtrl for bumpers etc. Another 120 in lights and $335 in a 1" body lift w/ poly bushings. I have to ask, is the poly bushing body lift really worth it??? Yes, my '94 has this, and IMHO it was worth it, but still,....wifey is going to need more reasons.

My phase 1 summary is $7500 including the purchase, changing all fluids, trans cooler, motor leaks, brakes, LED lights (need them so I can design the bumper right) and building the bumpers.

Phase 2 is $4200 and we get wheels & tires, paint and recovering the seats.

Phase 3 gets a rebuilt motor, trans and stereo/nav.

Phase 4 is lots of fun w/ the supercharger and diffs

Right now, I'm concentrating on phase 1 where the majority of the downtime is as we have a rental paid for the idiots who wrecked my F350 and I have about 2 weeks time to get all this done.