Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4th gen growing on me??!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 11:12 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4th gen growing on me??!?

I can't believe what is happening to me, the 4th gen is growing on me!!

I've wanted a 4Runner since I was 16. Too much $$ so I got a Jeep (it was fun in college). 10 years later I was all set to get a 3rd gen 4Runner, but then I heard the 4th gen would be awesome. I waited and waited, and man when it came out I was diappointed. That cladding...sheesh. Now I looked at the 2004 and with the now standard "appearance package" it is again in my consideration list.

My list consists of the 2004 4Runner and the 2004 Ford Expedition. I know the Seoquia would be closer to the Expy, but those are just the SUVs I like.

I have a family memeber who works for Toyota, so I would get his price. I am thinking about a black 2004 SR5 4x4 V6. The only options I want are leather & moonroof, it comes with everything else I would want. So I believe my price will be right under $30,000. My beat up Jeep should wash with taxes and tag, and I'm hoping my discount will help out. I also work for a bank, so I can finace for 66 months at 4.54% putting my payment at $400-$500 mo.

Here is my pro 4 Runner logic:
My current jeep doesn't have AC and I live in FL.
Both SUVs have ~2" Daystar lifts available.
I don't need/want anything on the Sport/Limited models.
The cheaper 4.0 V6 has more hp, is lighter, better mpg and still has a respectable 245 hp @ 5,200 rpm/282 lb.-ft. @ 3,800 rpm .
I don't have a boat yet, but this thing can tow 5000 punds.
Toyotas have a 5 year powertrain warranty vs. Ford's 3 yr.
The 4Runner will retain more of its value longer.
I tend to keep my cars around 10 years and the 'runner will hold up better.
Fords 5.4 liter Triton (the only one to get) eats gas and going from a 4 cylinder Jeep I might have a heart attack.

What do you guys think? Am I leaving anything out? Should I consider any other options? Wait for the new Toyota FJ?? Anything else I need on my 4Runner?

Let's see some more 4th gen pics, preferably ones that have been lifted!!
Old 09-15-2003, 01:41 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
4th gen

I just don't like the looks of the 4th genners, something about the square fender wells and the odd-shaped side cargo windows. It is getting to where you can't tell one SUV from another and for 4Runners and Toyota, that is a shame!

Brian
Old 09-15-2003, 01:56 PM
Contributing Member

Try and resist, the 4th gen is 4Runners future.

This happened to me before - and why I bought the last of the Jeep YJ Wrangler, a Dec '95 model. The new TJ Wrangler was due out...we saw some preview pics and almost everyone made fun of the circle headlights and Geo Tracker dash. Now everyone knows its better than its previous iterations. Of course there will always be those Willys flatfender people, those CJ people, and those Square Headlight people.

Just like the 1st, 2nd, 3rd gen loyal people here. I thought about finding a used 3rd gen. But then I have to deal with finding a low mile, good condition, black 4x4 with leather and a moonroof that someone else has abused and tried to conceal, no warranty, no more new after market developments, etc.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:09 PM

Originally posted by jgs9455
Try and resist, the 4th gen is 4Runners future.

This happened to me before - and why I bought the last of the Jeep YJ Wrangler, a Dec '95 model. The new TJ Wrangler was due out...we saw some preview pics and almost everyone made fun of the circle headlights and Geo Tracker dash. Now everyone knows its better than its previous iterations. Of course there will always be those Willys flatfender people, those CJ people, and those Square Headlight people.

Just like the 1st, 2nd, 3rd gen loyal people here. I thought about finding a used 3rd gen. But then I have to deal with finding a low mile, good condition, black 4x4 with leather and a moonroof that someone else has abused and tried to conceal, no warranty, no more new after market developments, etc.
I love the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Gens. I don't think I will ever dig the 4th Gen. They are even more expensive and less off-road capable. That's the trend, pay more for less. But perhaps some justify the price with all the outrageously useless (to me anyways) doo-dads on it. Besides that, they are FUGLY. There is not one atractive part of the whole thing. Looks like a cute-ute on steriods, which in my book is about half a step up from a minivan...

Sure, the 4th gen is the 4Runner's future. That is why my 3rd Gen will probably be the last new 4Runner I will ever buy...

Last edited by 44Runner; 09-15-2003 at 02:10 PM.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:17 PM

Take a look at mine..maybe it will grow somemore..
http://home.nycap.rr.com/baje/lizzy.htm
Old 09-15-2003, 02:29 PM
Contributing Member

Sil23, I checked yours out last night. 02Runner's too. And a couple of other guys that have 4th gens with pictures. That's when I knew the '04 was growing on me. I like the bar you got in the front.

I'm waiting to see the 4th gen lift pics reposted.

So is the 4.0 L V6 enough? That's what I am considering.

Last edited by jgs9455; 09-15-2003 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:29 PM
Contributing Member

Hey 44Runner,

Why don't you go a little easier on the 4th Gen. Thats likely to piss a few people off on this board.

In fact, my 4th will do what your 3rd will with ease.

Tow my 700 gallon, 6500 lb fuel trailer at work through 16" of sugar sand and let me know how you make out.

I'm not trying to pick a fight, but the 4th may be uglier in many peoples eyes including yours, but don't discount its ability.

Mods will happen as more of them hit the market, just be patient. If you want monster mods, buy a friggin' Ford or Chevy.

Doug
Old 09-15-2003, 02:32 PM
Contributing Member

I totally dig the 4th gen's with the hood scoop and that little emblem on the front that reads "V8"
Old 09-15-2003, 02:33 PM
Contributing Member

By the way, if you really want a true hard a$$ SUV, you'd sell that plastic piece and buy an FJ40.

Thats my change anyways $.02!

Sorry if I'm being a butthole, but I just got home from work (13hrs) and don't feel like hearing about how much of a P*$$y my 4th is.

Doug
Old 09-15-2003, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by Sil23
AHH, wish you had warned me about the music. I'm sure my roommate is wondering what the hell I am looking at. So how far is Troy from Blacksburg. I'm thinking you should bring it down this way, left me hack the front suspension off and then go from there. Figure out how cool these things really are...

Old 09-15-2003, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by Sil23
Sil23,
Not sure what is more annoying, the beep of my door locks or your webpage music
Well, at least you can turn your website music off!

Oh yeah, the 4th gen sucks. What a pos.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by 02Runner
Hey 44Runner,

Why don't you go a little easier on the 4th Gen. Thats likely to piss a few people off on this board.

In fact, my 4th will do what your 3rd will with ease.

Tow my 700 gallon, 6500 lb fuel trailer at work through 16" of sugar sand and let me know how you make out.

I'm not trying to pick a fight, but the 4th may be uglier in many peoples eyes including yours, but don't discount its ability.

Mods will happen as more of them hit the market, just be patient. If you want monster mods, buy a friggin' Ford or Chevy.

Doug
I also do not want to fight, but I would be willing to put a lot of money that my runner would spank yours in the "trailer challenge" you put up
Old 09-15-2003, 02:38 PM
Contributing Member

I'd have to agree with Dave. I don't think he was trying to start a flame war.

I think Toyota had a slightly different market segment in mind with the 4th gen. The stock ground clearance being less than that of earlier gens is a bad thing IMO. For me, at first glance, I'd have to say that it at least LOOKs less capable. But that all goes back to thinking Toyota was after a different market segment.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:38 PM

Troy is upstate New York - Albany area. You have to be West Indian - ya know - crystal clear blue sea and sunshine - pina coladas etc. to enjoy the music..Peace out.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by 02Runner
By the way, if you really want a true hard a$$ SUV, you'd sell that plastic piece and buy an FJ40.

Thats my change anyways $.02!

Sorry if I'm being a butthole, but I just got home from work (13hrs) and don't feel like hearing about how much of a P*$$y my 4th is.

Doug
now I never called it a ˟˟˟˟˟. Its just not my cup of tea dude. don't get too bent out of shape...
Old 09-15-2003, 02:40 PM
Contributing Member

Typical generation debate about almost anything.

Reminds me of a few quotes:

Chesty Puller LTGEN USMC- "Old breed, new breed, as long as it's the Marine breed."

And then, Annonymous: "Opinions are like a$$holes, everyones got one."
Old 09-15-2003, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by mertztr
I'd have to agree with Dave. I don't think he was trying to start a flame war.

I think Toyota had a slightly different market segment in mind with the 4th gen. The stock ground clearance being less than that of earlier gens is a bad thing IMO. For me, at first glance, I'd have to say that it at least LOOKs less capable. But that all goes back to thinking Toyota was after a different market segment.
Not a fan of flame wars...

I mean it when I say I would love to hack one up, not that I thought anyone doubted me. With a 44 up and some 37s I bet they would look a WHOLE lot better and our boy 02Runner wouldn't have to worry about anyone callin his junk a ˟˟˟˟˟ anymore...
Old 09-15-2003, 03:03 PM
Contributing Member

Three things:

1: I'm not your boy

2: The 4th isn't junk

3: This is the first negative comment I've made to another YT member but .... ah never mind.

I'd rather save a little face on this one.

Doug
Old 09-15-2003, 03:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 44Runner
AHH, wish you had warned me about the music. I'm sure my roommate is wondering what the hell I am looking at. So how far is Troy from Blacksburg. I'm thinking you should bring it down this way, left me hack the front suspension off and then go from there. Figure out how cool these things really are...

Do you have any pics of that in action, it has a snorkel lets see some pics of it in deep water.

I must be the only 1 but the 4th Gen looks like a longer, wider and taller version of the 3rd, also I never really cared to much for the look either but the V8/5Speed made me a believer I actually wanted a 2002 with an SC still sorta do but I would be happy with another 4th Gen V8 LTD, now I can say after 7 month the look of the 4th is great in my eyes.

02Runner,
gets some sleep man, you can take the anti 4th gen attacks when your well rested much better they just roll off you, just look at myself and FirstToy

FirstToy,
I could not agree more these trucks suck

I look forward to the 5th Gen 4Runners, at least the 4th Gen members will be included with the 1st 3 Gens when the attacks start towards how ugly it is:pat:

If the square fenders are not liked maybe someone will take some round GX fenders and put them on a 4th Gen
Old 09-15-2003, 03:34 PM
Contributing Member

Thought I'd chime in and add some padding

The 4th gen's might not be the previous 4runner owner's cup of tea but they are still offroad capable.

I will be willing to take my 4th gen (stock.. or while it is) on any trail that a 3rd (stock) is willing to do. You can pretty much mark my words on this one I just love the adventure! Ofcourse there are limitations like safe first though.... I'm not here to prove a point but all I can say is that yes I agree that it did indeed lose abit of height (now looks abit wimpy) but it did gain in other areas where it can still conquer some tricky trail paths. Until you've been in one or seen one in action, it's pretty much garbage to say it's not offroad capable.

I have to agree, at first when I saw the final production of the 4th gen, I was abit disappointed by the specs (height, loss of shifter in exchange for the switch, etc etc) but all I have to say is it just grew on me. I"m sure that eventually when an abundant aftermarket parts start rolling in and everyone starts lifting their 4th gen's, people will praise them. But until then, we're just stuck being stock.

44Runner: now you have one bada$$ 4runner! I give ya much props for the SAS Hopefully, when I can afford to tinker around with my 4th gen I can try that too!!!

02Runner: those rims still look sharp! Hopefully I'll be add some beefier shoes soon...

btw fellas/ladies, no need to flame fellow yota owners now flaming ford/gm owners is another story but it just doesn't make sense to flame eachother! we can keep that on other boards!

Lance

Quick Reply: 4th gen growing on me??!?