Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4Runner question, please help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2002, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4Runner question, please help.

What exactly is it that makes the 4Runner stand out amongst its competition? (Besides the fact that it is more reliable with less maintenance problems, and a better resale amount). I mean, why do some think it is better than the Pathfinder, Blazer, Explorer, Trooper, Passport, Grand Ckerokee, etc., etc. when it comes to off roading? Aren't they all on just about the same style chassis? All are 4-wheel drive! All have certain features that make each one worthy. So what is it that makes the 4Runner beefier, and better (supposedly) off road than the other SUV's out there?

By the way, this is a cool site ya have here.
Old 08-18-2002, 08:37 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Thanks Whitey...Glad you like the forums here.

What makes the 4Runner and the trucks stand out from the rest is that is has a higher ground clearance than the other makes out there.
And as you mentioned, reliability.

Some makes such as the Explorer have a weird 4WD setup. I'm not familiar with it, but on a trip we made last January, we had one Explorer with us and he was all over the snowy road and putting on a good show for Todd who was behind him.
Something to do with the way his 4WD system works.

A 4Runner is also built on a truck chassis, where as the Pathfinder is a unibody rig, same as a car.

The Grand Cherokee is a nice rig with a solid axle up front for good articulation, but a lot of them spend time in the shop, so I hear.
Mines only been in the shop for very dirty fuel injectors that needed to be pulled, other than that it's been a trouble free rig.

There are many more reasons why folk's feel Toyotas make a better off road rig, and I'm sure you will get more answers.
Also the 4WD system in my '91 is very simple, and not complicated like a lot of the other makes out there.

Oh, also some makes such as the Jeeps you have to do a 3 to 4" lift just to put on 31 to 32" tires.
I am running 31" tires now, and it can run them at stock height.
I can go up to a 32" tire if I wanted to with probably no problems other than a little sluggishness from to high of gearing.

Toy's also hold a higher resale value to than any other make.
Old 08-18-2002, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're right Corey!

It"s resale value, and it's reliability.........RELIABILITY!!!!

Hi Whitey! All of us here at this wonderful forum are here to help others understand why a Toyota isn't a perfect vehicle.

All make's & models have their problems & break downs. And none of them are engineered perfect. Just ask every mechanic in your town which make & model vehicle they would rather service or repair? They'll tell you.

There are questions that are really difficult to answer. And some are easy.

But one thing's for sure.

You really have to own a Toyota for a long, long time to appreciate it's remarkable reliability!

71 Chevy Blazer 4x4 (died if rust, parts truck afterward)
78 Jeep Wagoneer 4x4 (kids got big & sold the damn gas hog)
? Datsun p/u (crashed it in a ditch, damn I miss that truck!)