Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4" body lift on 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4" body lift on 4runner

This is my friends 96 or 97 4runner with a 4" body lift. His also go 2.5" coilspacers. I plan to get the same thing on my 99 4runner but with 3" revtek coilspacers. Then find some Gap Gaurds

Here's the pics of his 4runner and the Blocks he has were the body lift is... check it out for ur self.

once you click on the link then click on "Sheot"..(the album it self)

http://photos.yahoo.com/slickstu26
Old 03-22-2004, 02:19 PM
Away

I don't mean to offend, but I'm sure I will. Anyway, your friend's 4Runner is some Scary stuff...

I wouldn't touch it if you paid me. And I wouldn't recommend you doing the same, either.

My .02
G
Old 03-22-2004, 02:20 PM
Contributing Member

Not to offend...but those lift "blocks" are pretty sketchy. Looks cool from teh outside, but that is one sketchy body lift.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:32 PM
Contributing Member

same here, not to offend, but there is a reason there is no "production" 4" body lift. i mean it would be different if the blocks were actually solid, but i dont know how safe that setup is. sure its big, and it looks alright, but i wouldnt want to off road it...

-Casey
Old 03-22-2004, 02:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Looks great. I cannot believe I did not think of doing things that cheap and easy.

No flaming guys, that is a nice truck and we should all be proud to take a look at it.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:18 PM
Contributing Member

I'll have to jump on the bandwagon and agree with everyone here.

Too sketchy looking. Looks nice from the outside though.

For the record, the word 'flaming' is being used left and right around here lately and comments that start with "I don't want to offend anyone" cannot be considered flames. For the record.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:34 PM

Well he does take it off roading i know that for a fact... iv never riddin in it and i hear i will probly have the crapest riding runner around... dont wanna put that much money into 2wd... the only thing about this lift is i can take it up to the same shop and have it done for 400$ even... if i buy from Roger i have no clue who can put it on.. im sure cant cuz i have no clue what im doing.. and if i did have it installed it would probly be a tone. So everyone DOESNT think i should use these blocks? You think they will break on him? i mean i dont think theve bent any on him since he has been going offroading.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:47 PM
Contributing Member

Some people get lucky and "the worst" never happens to them. Do you really want to skimp on something as important as this?

EDIT:
I hear Roger is a very helpful guy. If you research it enough I'm sure you'll get comfortable doing it yourself
I don't know too much about body lifts but I got to agree with the other guys, that does look sketch.

Last edited by Tacoma Dude; 03-22-2004 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:55 PM
Contributing Member

As I said in the other thread...YOU CAN DO THE BODY LIFT YOURSELF! It really is easy! It's a great beginners project! Everyone says the same thing before they try it...and they have all been successful!
\
Old 03-22-2004, 04:01 PM
Contributing Member

I'd stay at stock height than do that...that looks a little too scary for me.

I'm gonna be doin either the 1 or 2" Roger Brown lift...if I do the 1" I will probably do it myself but if I do the 2" I may get some help as it requires a little more knowledge than I have...

Fink
Old 03-22-2004, 04:09 PM
Contributing Member

WOW. if corey hadnt posted the flaming regulations today i would have taken this guy to school.

first off, that body is just waiting to slide off the frame. i hope he never gets into a collision.

WAIT, just noticed he has GEORGIA tags!!! ahh where are you guys? what shop did this for him??????

lastly, he takes it off-road? its 2WD!!!

ok i just remembered youre the GA guy who PMed me. DO NOT TAKE RECOMENDATIONS from this 2wd clown with a 4" ghetto body lift.

the shop that installed this 4" body lift should be shut down!!!

Old 03-22-2004, 04:09 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
I'm gonna be doin either the 1 or 2" Roger Brown lift...if I do the 1" I will probably do it myself but if I do the 2" I may get some help as it requires a little more knowledge than I have...
WHO KEEPS SPREADING THIS RUMOR!??!!! There is VERY LITTLE difference between a 1" and a 2" installation! I was one of the first to do a 2" install and I used AdamF's writeup for a 1" install. Instructions worked perfectly. The only difference was the bottom part fan shroud...you can drop the radiator if you want...I didnt, I just took the bottom peice of the shroud off.

STOP SPREADING THE RUMOR!!!
Old 03-22-2004, 04:13 PM
Contributing Member

Goodness... That is an example of "ghettofab" engineering at it's finest. First, a 4" body lift is scary and actually illegal here in Washington as well as many other states. Second, that tubing has no lateral support like a solid puck has. It's just a matter of until the unthinkable happens.

Legitimate body lifts are cheap and easy to install. Why make it any more complicated than it has to be or any more dangerous?
Contributing Member

PoBoy - one of my best buddies has a 2" body lift on his 99 and he had to lengthen the t-case shifter and lengthen the fuel lines (under the rear drivers side seat).

maybe every vehicle is different.
Contributing Member

Sidebar

Originally Posted by Scofco
For the record, the word 'flaming' is being used left and right around here lately and comments that start with "I don't want to offend anyone" cannot be considered flames. For the record.
Not quite...

....This list is not all-inclusive and subject to interpretation by the Yotatech staff.
That's the one I'd go by.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:22 PM

Alright well im glad i took pics and found this forum not to long ago... or i woulda had another ghetto 4" body lift just like him... im not sure what shop it is.. he said in lawrencville i think. but now im not gonna worry what shop.. i guess ill try to order the RB 3" and try to get my dad to help me install it. Can anyone please tell me what EXTRA things i will have to do? I know I have to lift the body... and put the special pastic white things(that lifts the body up) under the frame connecter things but after i do that i need to know what ELSE i have to Move around, Take Off, Extend. Someone already told me something about the drive shaft thingy... but could someone just post ALL what i will have to do EXTRA. As you can tell im DEFFENATLY a newb at this stuff and have to get stuff explained to me like a grandma but i wanna be SURE of the things that i have to do because my dad has never done anything like this at all. Do i hold the body up with jackstands and lower the frame after i take off the bolts to do the body lift?

Thanx Every One for there info and support.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RTdawgs
PoBoy - one of my best buddies has a 2" body lift on his 99 and he had to lengthen the t-case shifter and lengthen the fuel lines (under the rear drivers side seat).

maybe every vehicle is different.
Did he reallly NEED to?? Someone with a 2" on a 1999 chime in. Waskilly has a 00 w/ a 2inch and didnt need to. I didnt need to on my 96. Same with a 97 and 98 that I know.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I've not heard of anyone having to extend any lines at 2" and most not even at 3", you may need to relocate a few brackets and readjust hoses, wires, etc. But that's not to say you could extend lines if you wanted to. Notes on lifts of 2"-3":

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/....shtml#Updates

I do now offer a bolt on radiator drop bracket for the 3rd gen 4Runners, offers, 1", 2" or 3" drop on the radiator. Also have screw-on shifter extensions if that is needed as well, screw onto the top of the shift lever (M12-1.25 thread) and the knob screws on the end of the extension, 2" and 3" versions:

Old 03-22-2004, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by PoBoy
Did he reallly NEED to?? Someone with a 2" on a 1999 chime in. Waskilly has a 00 w/ a 2inch and didnt need to. I didnt need to on my 96. Same with a 97 and 98 that I know.

I have a 99 and the 2" was no problem. We just put in the steering spacer and the lift blocks and didnt even use the radiator drop brackets. There was holes already for from the factory that fit the 2" drop of the radiator pertect.

No brake line, fuel line, shifter, or transmision linkage modification. I did loosen the transmision linkage bolt during the lift. But It didnt even move. I could tell by the clean spot on the linkage.

2" lift pretty easy if you have some buddys to help.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:45 PM

I would never ride in anything with that lift on it. A 3" is pushing it for me. 4" your body is so far off your frame that is why you sould run grade a bolts with the 3". I have never heard of anyone crazy enough to run a 4" bl on anything. Much less a runner that is already top heavy. He should just get a 3" solid spacer lift. Hope he never gets hit it will probly rip the cab off the frame.

good luck!

Quick Reply: 4" body lift on 4runner