Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3VZ intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UNI filter

Originally Posted by Maddog
still wondering what you guys think about this.
Hey Maddog, I looked all through the UNI website and I could'nt find an application that matches my intake. The one pic of the RamPod looks cool but it does'nt look like it would match up to the air flow meter of a U.S. vehicle. I saw that picture of your intake, do you have another pic of your intake, maybe one not so close up, so we can get a better look at it.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My only issue is my resignator box I dug out of my parts box of various engine parts and stuff. To my surprize it's got a nice dime sized hole in the top of it now.
Guess I'll have to find another one.. For now I'll plumb it back into the intake at the filter.

Last edited by 934rnr; 06-30-2004 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by rbmc
Hey Maddog, I looked all through the UNI website and I could'nt find an application that matches my intake. The one pic of the RamPod looks cool but it does'nt look like it would match up to the air flow meter of a U.S. vehicle. I saw that picture of your intake, do you have another pic of your intake, maybe one not so close up, so we can get a better look at it.
Ok here are some more.
You can see that the short line going to the resonator is coming off two others that are enclosed together in a sleeve.this goes down to the bottom of the engine bay.im not sure what it is.
http://img40.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img40...atortubes1.jpg
http://img7.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img7&i...atortubes2.jpg
http://img30.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img30...atortubes3.jpg

here is one of my intake pipe that ive had bent.im still having trouble finding some good fittings to put into it.
http://img30.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img30...intakepipe.jpg
Old 07-01-2004, 08:35 AM

Ok here are some more.
You can see that the short line going to the resonator is coming off two others that are enclosed together in a sleeve.this goes down to the bottom of the engine bay.im not sure what it is.
http://img40.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img40...atortubes1.jpg
http://img7.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img7&i...atortubes2.jpg
http://img30.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img30...atortubes3.jpg

here is one of my intake pipe that ive had bent.im still having trouble finding some good fittings to put into it.
http://img30.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img30...intakepipe.jpg
I couldn't tell you what all hooks up to the intake right now whith my engine being out of the truck. Doesn't really matter though as long as you hook them back up to your new intake or cap it off with one of those small filters.

I will comment on your intake tube that you're planning on using. It is mandrel bent and not crush tubing so that's good, but it's not a good quality bend. I'm not sure if that will effect the performance of it or not really, but I'd look at Summit or some other source to get a good bend that is the diameter the entire length.

I think that I'm going to forgo the silencer. I did on my Celica and yes it does make some intake noise, but mostly only when it's cold. After it warms up it's usually pretty quiet. I'm also going to look at using an Amsoil filter. I have no idea is they make cone filter or if I'll have to fab up a less restrict air box, but I'm going to use their filters. Check out Gadgets site, it helped me out alot as far as the Amsoil products.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:20 PM

Yeah my pipe isnt perfect,they couldnt bend 3" at the shop so i went for 2 1/2" Flared at each end.i know its going to be a little less flow but i figure its still got to be better than stock or using some pvc pipe from a hardware store.Plus I just want to wack something on & see how i like it.
The other good part of it is at least i will get a good seal,as my stock fittings are a bit dodgy,& are more than likely leaking a little bit.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:53 PM

Yeah my pipe isnt perfect,they couldnt bend 3" at the shop so i went for 2 1/2" Flared at each end.i know its going to be a little less flow but i figure its still got to be better than stock or using some pvc pipe from a hardware store.Plus I just want to wack something on & see how i like it.
The other good part of it is at least i will get a good seal,as my stock fittings are a bit dodgy,& are more than likely leaking a little bit.
Well, that will be good to make your intake with and if you ever decide to change it later, look in a Summit catalog or maybe JCWhitney might have 3" pipe. And although I've vever used PVC, I have seen a good PCV pipe to use, but I have no idea what kind it is to tell anyone on here. I've heard goo things about PCV also in that it doesn't let the heat through.....no idea how true that is though. Just thought I'd mention it.

I'm also thinking about doing something different with my intake as far as the filter end of it. I read some negative stuff on Gadgets site about the K&N filters (though I use one on my car) and might custom fab an air box that looks better, takes up less space and flows more air using an Amosoil filter. They don't make cone filters and this is the reason for all of that.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:46 PM

Mod it how you want to

Dude, I don't think anyone on this board should be baggin' on anybody about their mods, I've seen some pretty hokie ones and I've seen some really nice stuff too, it's all about what you have access to and it's all about do what you want and if it works for ya bro then go with it. I just have one comment though(and I'm not baggin') and I don't know that you ever saw the show anyway, but the pic of your Runner in the side caption looks like its parked in the Brady Bunch's back yard. Stay cool and remember the Golden Rule "If a man can make it another man can modify it" So keep on Modifying. And also, dude if you can't find stuff way down under, ask someone way up north here if they can access for ya and ship it to ya.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by rbmc
Dude, I don't think anyone on this board should be baggin' on anybody about their mods, I've seen some pretty hokie ones and I've seen some really nice stuff too, it's all about what you have access to and it's all about do what you want and if it works for ya bro then go with it. I just have one comment though(and I'm not baggin') and I don't know that you ever saw the show anyway, but the pic of your Runner in the side caption looks like its parked in the Brady Bunch's back yard. Stay cool and remember the Golden Rule "If a man can make it another man can modify it" So keep on Modifying. And also, dude if you can't find stuff way down under, ask someone way up north here if they can access for ya and ship it to ya.
Thanks man ,i may need to do that one day,I actualy have an uncle in Denver & hes got some nice 4wd from memory.
As fars as the Brady bunch goes,i cant comment as i dont have a clue what the back yard look's like.
Old 07-03-2004, 03:39 AM

Installed my New pipe today, minus any vac lines,Its running a little better,due to the fact that i suspected the stock set up was leaking somewhere.
It is certainly alot louder.but i will get used to it i guess.
But the good old fan still drowns it out at first.Lol
I havent noticed any problems or fumes with having the breather etc not connected.
In fact im surprised just how little blow comes out of my breather.