Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3rd Gen Drawer system

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd Gen Drawer system

Cool new product. I have been bugging Oleg http://www.irbisoffroad.com/4r-stor.asp for a while that no one makes drawers for a 3rd gen 4runner. That's what daughterofromer wanted for her present and he made some up for her. He told me he ordered enough parts to make 4 sets.

These things are stout and don't rattle. Yuri pulled it all the way out and then showed me the drawers would support his weight without moving while they are fully extended.

Old 12-14-2006, 04:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
n'k, I'm listening.. is there a price associated with said drawer system? Will he ship it flat for field assembly (and cheaper shipping?))

ooo.. I see the price now on the lower right of that page. $600? Umm... n/m
Old 12-14-2006, 05:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
600 is a good price for a drawer system, you should see what the ones for the 80's series landcruisers get up to.

Very nice indeed
Old 12-14-2006, 05:46 PM

The Outback system in my 80 was $1300. I was pleased with the price and the quality. You want something that won't rattle when you are off road. You want something that can be fully open and have a couple hundred pounds of gear without any worries

My outback system in my 80 series Land Cruiser
Attached Thumbnails 3rd Gen Drawer system-untitled-1.jpg  

Last edited by Romer; 12-14-2006 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:52 PM
Contributing Member

EDIT: Removed due to arrogance.

Last edited by 91_4x4runner; 12-14-2006 at 08:15 PM.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:56 PM
Banned

shipping and the material most likely, all id need is carpt for the top and to stain the wood below.. no need for that fur stuff or velvet whatever they are using... a little tall too. Plus I need a place to build a sub box to the right.. and it needs to extend over the back seats to the front for a sleeper platform, doesnt look like this one does
Old 12-14-2006, 06:06 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

What does it cost to make one of these? I can't imagine anywhere more than 200-250 bucks.
I have looked into making something real simular, I was going to follow SkyRats design, looked into all the parts was about $100-150 not counting the carpet.
but here you are paying for them to make it for you, saving you a whole weekend, and with Oleg, you will never worry about it failing or breaking.
you just pay them and drive away with it
Oleg and Yuri make stuff to last, period
Old 12-14-2006, 07:34 PM
Contributing Member

Its like paying for a kit from Marlin or TG, vs building your own SAS parts from scratch, and doing the swap. You buy the kit to make it easier.

Oh, and for the quotes around 200 dollars...Have you actually looked at drawer slides? Not the ones you get at home depot, but rather Ball bearing, 500+ lb motion slides? ie, you can load the drawers with 500 lbs of junk, and then drive with the drawers extended bumping around. Those, especially ones in the 36" long range, can run upwards of 200 bucks alone. Its all about quality.

That being said, i'm building a gear storage system for the back of my 1st gen, and i'm using the cheap home depot slides. I don't need to haul that much weight, and i don't want to spend that much money. But Oleg builds top of the line stuff, always, and he has a great reputation to prove it. But, all that quality costs money.

I want to make one final point. Its long, but bear with me. I have spoken with a lot of small time vendors and people who make truly unique stuff. They often times quit making stuff after one to five products, becasue of threads like this.

Why are there no other 3rd gen drawer systems, and why is Oleg likely not going to mass produce these units to lower cost? Because people get on and say they can make stuff for cheaper, and trash the product before they even get a good customer base. They get on the net, see the lack of interest and say "forget it, im done". Then, a month later, a guy who doesn't have mechanical or fab skills wants to get just that product, but call the vendor, and get quoted for a one off, custom fab piece, rather than a lower cost, in-production piece.

If you have a legitimate concern about a product, for example: if you, or a friend in the vicinity, purchase a product, and it has a major flaw or failing, then post up about it.

However, if you don't like the price, or feel you can do it cheaper, then just do it. Don't trash someone for thinking outside the box and trying to build something new and exciting. If you want to build your own, you might ask about the components, inquire as to how the unit was put together, and then use that knowledge to develop your own.

I understand that a lot of people on here don't have money growing out of their ears. Trust me, i'm one of them. I decided to build things on my own. It has given me an appreciation of just how much work is involved in building something new. It takes many many hours to design, develop, and produce a custom fab piece. It takes even more to produce something nice. If you run a business, you want to make a profit, even if it is just a small one.

Your products materials may only be 200 bucks, but if you spend just 8 hours (a typical work day) building that one piece, at 50 bucks an hour (pretty cheap for shop labor) you are up to 600 bucks. Thats just to break even. Then you still have overhead to pay, like rent, insurance, heating, electricity, etc... It isn't unreasonable to want your business to expand, so you'll want a tiny bit more for profit.

Anyway, just keep in mind how you'd feel if you spent a ton of time and effort and energy into producing a nice thing, and then no one wanted it because they could do it cheaper and better. In fact, i think a lot of people in America have that same complaint as their jobs are being shipped overseas...
Old 12-14-2006, 07:41 PM

They did a lot of research to get the right drawer sliders. Ones that would stand up to the punishment and weight. These are not cheap sliders and these are built to last.

The used carpet, no velvet or fur (or killing of animals) was used in the assembly of these drawers.

I just thought I'd share. I searched for a while for some for her 4runner. I found some for my 80, the wife's 4th gen, but nothing out there for the 3rd gen unless you want to make them yourself.

The important thing is my daughter is real happy. This is a great site for 4runners. I have two and come here to search a lot. I spend most of my time on Mud though where I am the moderator for the 80's section. Mud is real weak relative to 4runner's.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AxleIke
Its like paying for a kit from Marlin or TG, vs building your own SAS parts from scratch, and doing the swap. You buy the kit to make it easier.

Oh, and for the quotes around 200 dollars...Have you actually looked at drawer slides? Not the ones you get at home depot, but rather Ball bearing, 500+ lb motion slides? ie, you can load the drawers with 500 lbs of junk, and then drive with the drawers extended bumping around. Those, especially ones in the 36" long range, can run upwards of 200 bucks alone. Its all about quality.

That being said, i'm building a gear storage system for the back of my 1st gen, and i'm using the cheap home depot slides. I don't need to haul that much weight, and i don't want to spend that much money. But Oleg builds top of the line stuff, always, and he has a great reputation to prove it. But, all that quality costs money.

I want to make one final point. Its long, but bear with me. I have spoken with a lot of small time vendors and people who make truly unique stuff. They often times quit making stuff after one to five products, becasue of threads like this.

Why are there no other 3rd gen drawer systems, and why is Oleg likely not going to mass produce these units to lower cost? Because people get on and say they can make stuff for cheaper, and trash the product before they even get a good customer base. They get on the net, see the lack of interest and say "forget it, im done". Then, a month later, a guy who doesn't have mechanical or fab skills wants to get just that product, but call the vendor, and get quoted for a one off, custom fab piece, rather than a lower cost, in-production piece.

If you have a legitimate concern about a product, for example: if you, or a friend in the vicinity, purchase a product, and it has a major flaw or failing, then post up about it.

However, if you don't like the price, or feel you can do it cheaper, then just do it. Don't trash someone for thinking outside the box and trying to build something new and exciting. If you want to build your own, you might ask about the components, inquire as to how the unit was put together, and then use that knowledge to develop your own.

I understand that a lot of people on here don't have money growing out of their ears. Trust me, i'm one of them. I decided to build things on my own. It has given me an appreciation of just how much work is involved in building something new. It takes many many hours to design, develop, and produce a custom fab piece. It takes even more to produce something nice. If you run a business, you want to make a profit, even if it is just a small one.

Your products materials may only be 200 bucks, but if you spend just 8 hours (a typical work day) building that one piece, at 50 bucks an hour (pretty cheap for shop labor) you are up to 600 bucks. Thats just to break even. Then you still have overhead to pay, like rent, insurance, heating, electricity, etc... It isn't unreasonable to want your business to expand, so you'll want a tiny bit more for profit.

Anyway, just keep in mind how you'd feel if you spent a ton of time and effort and energy into producing a nice thing, and then no one wanted it because they could do it cheaper and better. In fact, i think a lot of people in America have that same complaint as their jobs are being shipped overseas...
You're completely right, the people designing/building these are probably honest people trying to make a decent living. My remarks were a bit hasty and I apologize.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 91_4x4runner
You're completely right, the people designing/building these are probably honest people trying to make a decent living. My remarks were a bit hasty and I apologize.
No need to apologize, I'm not attacking you or anyone. I just want people to think about what they are saying. I know that you aren't saying that this is a bad product, and that it is just money. I just want vendors to keep experimenting and making cool new products, and i have spoken to a few who've felt that they weren't appreciated and quit making the product. I hate to see that happen.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:36 PM
Banned

It really looks like a great system!! It looks stout as hell and I think it's worth the $$ !!! TJ