Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3rd gen 4runner auto trans replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd gen 4runner auto trans replacement

Hey guys, I'm hoping someone could give me some guidance:

I recently bought a 2000 limited 4runner with 125k mile, a solid rust free frame, but a trans leak at the bell housing (verified by cleaning everything off and watching it leak). Figuring it was the torque converter seal, I tore into the truck and got to the front of the trans. When taking out the seal, I damaged the bearing on the front pump, and bought a new one. I had trouble installing the new front pump and it seems like I bent a few of the clutch fingers on the disks that the planetary unit goes into, and the basket itself from the planetary gear unit now looks distorted.

At this point, I'm wondering what my best options are. The basket and torque converter seem to have a little "heat bluing" on them. I'd hate to throw a questionable trans back in the truck. I'm working on a dirt floor and I'd rather do the job right the first time to avoid doing in twice.

Do I get this trans rebuilt?

Do I get a reman?

Any recommended sources?

And finally, since my truck had the multimode, do I need a particular trans model, or will any 3rd get auto trans fit? I know the transfer case is what controls the drive mode, but is the trans different in any way with the multimode system?

Thanks for any help or guidance you can provide!
Old 01-24-2017, 06:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got a transmission and TC out of a 2000 SR5 without multi-mode. Post your transmission part number and I"ll go look and see if it matches.

Without really being able to look it over, I can't really tell you whether or not you need to rebuild / replace it. I would load it up and go show it to a transmission shop.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took it to a trans shop and they replaced some parts and put it back together for $400. I drove it last night and it seemed good. Hopefully it will stay together.

There were some metal shavings in the fluid. The shop said it looked like a jasper trans. Are shaving normal for a newly broken in trans?
Old 02-08-2017, 05:20 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Did the shop offer any sort of warranty?

Last edited by thefishguy77; 02-08-2017 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jforte5650
I took it to a trans shop and they replaced some parts and put it back together for $400. I drove it last night and it seemed good. Hopefully it will stay together.

There were some metal shavings in the fluid. The shop said it looked like a jasper trans. Are shaving normal for a newly broken in trans?
Depends on what you mean by "some metal shavings". There shouldn't be much. You can buy an oil sample kit from a local equipment or big truck dealership for less than $20. I think they are still $16 from a Caterpillar dealership. They include everything you need to send off a sample. Just drop it in the mail and they will contact you with the spectrometer analysis of what all is in the oil and will make recommendations based on what they find. Before you do this. Drain and refill the transmission. Let it out the drain plug and refill it through the dip stick tube. Use the same amount of fluid as what you took out. Then run it a hundred miles or so before you draw you sample fluid.