Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3.4 swapped 2nd Gen 4runner *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 02:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice swap. Can't wait till you can try it out and see how much better the 3.4 is then the 3.0.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:22 AM

You used the stock 3.4 exhaust manifolds without the crossover right? Doing this might seem easier then using headers.

I am currently in the middle of this swap myself using Downey headers but the header is hitting the frame on the R side. Any clues on how to remedy this?
Old 11-29-2005, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Pozi
You used the stock 3.4 exhaust manifolds without the crossover right? Doing this might seem easier then using headers.

I am currently in the middle of this swap myself using Downey headers but the header is hitting the frame on the R side. Any clues on how to remedy this?
I think tragicdive and some others used headers. You may want to ask them and see what they did. I just went with the stock manifolds cause it seemed easier and cheaper, I'm just a poor man in a rich man's world! Plus I don't need super-duper power, just super power.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:55 AM

Ok I drove it this morning. Very nice. The guys at the exhaust shop hooked me up. The total for the exhaust plus towing and getting my shifters extended only came to $162!!!!! He did a crossover behind the engine and routed it to a y pipe and then out to the regular components. He also welded in an o2 bung. The piping is mostly 3.4 stock size but I may go bigger with headers when I get the money. I did have to get my shifter reposition on Saturday cause it was hitting my radio.

I was able to actually pass cars today, I accelerated (not decelerated) up a long hill and had to take my foot of the gas so I wouldn't be speeding. So far I've only got 1 issue but I think it's tranny related. I have a squealing when I give it gas or if it idles high. It could be the pilot bearing cause I had to tap it a little to get it in. Also I have to start off in 2nd most of the time cause 1st will kick me out and by the time I hit the gas it's time to shift anyway. It comes out of 2nd just like it would come out of 1st. I just have to repostion my steering wheel cause it's crooked from the extension but other than that everything else seems to work fine. Oh, I haven't checked the A/C yet cause it's not recharged and I prob won't for a few months. I didn't get a stock airbox so I bought a high flow filter with adapter and that fits perfect,it's a short one and it looks a little weird where it sits but it doesn't hit my fusebox. That's all I can think of now.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hektikwon
Also I have to start off in 2nd most of the time cause 1st will kick me out and by the time I hit the gas it's time to shift anyway. It comes out of 2nd just like it would come out of 1st.
Same thing here this motor climbs the RPM's really fast. I'm now looking for a short throw shifter for this truck. In my case I think its because of the 4.59's in the axels.
Dude hektikwon, you have some kinda world record on the lowest cost for this swap mucho props to you for that. Now we need some damn pics of Completed motor and exhaust with sound bytes. You can also change your sig to read 3.4 swap completed now instead of in motion.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Tragic Drive
Same thing here this motor climbs the RPM's really fast. I'm now looking for a short throw shifter for this truck. In my case I think its because of the 4.59's in the axels.
Dude hektikwon, you have some kinda world record on the lowest cost for this swap mucho props to you for that. Now we need some damn pics of Completed motor and exhaust with sound bytes. You can also change your sig to read 3.4 swap completed now instead of in motion.
Just check out 4crawler, he has short throw shifters. I may get a couple eventually. As for the record cost, I think a guy on here swapped a 3.4 in a small pickup and came out about even. It helps to be resourceful when you're poor Now i'm thinking about getting some nerfs/sliders and some 32" Revos
Old 09-18-2006, 04:08 PM

I'm next;possibly cheaper!