Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2ng gen stereo removal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2ng gen stereo removal?

Hi. I searched and searched but was unable to find an article that I saw on here before on how to remove the dash in a 2nd gen 4runner. I've seen the one on installdr.com but this site seemed to show it in less steps. If someone could locate it for me that would be great.

Also, for those of you with aftermarket stereos, did you use a mounting kit or ISO mount the new receiver to the existing bracket and use a pocket below it?

Thanks
Old 02-18-2003, 01:23 PM
Contributing Member

i coped out and just had hifi buys install mine. the dash is pretty easy to get undone though. if you look around im sure you can figure out how to disassemble.
Old 02-18-2003, 01:33 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Look in our Tech section.
Look for the Indiglo write-up by Jason for his 2nd gen 4Runner.

He has a ton of pics showing you how to remove the dash.

Also on our main page here look for the link to our Portal Page called YotaTech on the Web.
There is a link in there to a page showing how to do stereo remove/installs.

Since I have a few spare minute here, I'll post the links.
https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech/techpage1.htm

And look at the very bottom here.
https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/portal/portal.htm
Old 02-18-2003, 01:36 PM

I had the same question a few months ago and got some good responses here:

http://www.4x4wire.com/cgi-bin/ultim...;f=13;t=011932

Let me know if you have any questions!
Old 02-18-2003, 02:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No kit

I used the existing brackets off the stock radio. I did modify the brackets a little to make the face of my Alpine sit flush with the face of the pocket. Mine is a removable face unit, so I removed the trim ring and moved it back in the stock brackets about 1/2". I put a Toyota pocket below. The pocket will get ditched in the spring to make way for a CB.

Here's a couple of pics.

When removing the dash, be careful with the clock. The knuckleheads that installed my alarm screwed mine up. (the mount).
Old 02-18-2003, 02:20 PM

Thanks for the links guys, I'm gonna try and find a dealership that will sell me a pocket and get started.
Old 02-18-2003, 02:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pocket

I got my pocket from a local Toyota dealer for $6.45.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:09 PM

i just swapped out my oem headunit (am/fm only) for a older radio/cassette that i pulled from a junked 87 celica. it fit perfectly, and even looks pretty good, the main issue i have with it is the buzz i'm getting when i mash the gas. i know that it's a function of increased electrical output by the engine but are there other reasons for it?

i just got my truck (a '94 2x4 4cyl reg cab riding on black steel) for pretty cheap and i'm not excited about spending lots of money on it. MAYBE i'll shell out for new wheels, but all the yota OEM wheels i like are 6lugs. and my sad 2x4 is 5. anyway. any thoughts on the radio whizz? and/or newer OEM radio's you might have lying around that you wouldn't mind parting with for cheap

i ordered some 3.5's to replace the stock speakers cuz i think they blew a long long time ago.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by 22r200,000mi+
i just swapped out my oem headunit (am/fm only) for a older radio/cassette that i pulled from a junked 87 celica. it fit perfectly, and even looks pretty good, the main issue i have with it is the buzz i'm getting when i mash the gas. i know that it's a function of increased electrical output by the engine but are there other reasons for it?

i just got my truck (a '94 2x4 4cyl reg cab riding on black steel) for pretty cheap and i'm not excited about spending lots of money on it. MAYBE i'll shell out for new wheels, but all the yota OEM wheels i like are 6lugs. and my sad 2x4 is 5. anyway. any thoughts on the radio whizz? and/or newer OEM radio's you might have lying around that you wouldn't mind parting with for cheap

i ordered some 3.5's to replace the stock speakers cuz i think they blew a long long time ago.
Wow the lug pattern is REALLY odd, I have never seen one with a 5 lug pattern. My 90 4R has the typical 6...

Now to your system buzz, that is typically induced by running rca's too close to power wires, but you dont have any rca's.....sooo I think you may have a bad ground. Before doing anything nutzo, just try regrounding the OEM radio, while you are at it double check all connections for security and insulation. Then check your battery's fluid level. (while you are at it check the battery's grounds and make sure both grounds (one to the block and one to the frame) are making solid contact....also check the + lines too) If everything checks out, go get a new OEM...
Old 02-21-2003, 12:46 PM

thanks for the reply.

yeah the lug pattern on my black steelies is 5x4.5.

i've found some simple looking oem jeep wheels that will look ok (minus caps) and so long as that fooker on EBAY doesn't outbid me, i should have em in a couple weeks. 15x7's...

i took it into the shop the other day just to get it checked seeing as i just bought it for cheap off of my company and had a lot of stuff replaced. radiator hoses, all manner of fluids, all 3 belts, and she's running beautiful with odo @ 200,019. but i think changing the alternator belt has made the sound go away so i am thankful. just waiting for the new 3.5"s to show up and throw em in...

i was also thinking about doing an instrument cluster swap but all the OEM clusters i see are too much $ for my budget...
Old 02-21-2003, 12:51 PM

Re: Pocket

Originally posted by Cebby
I got my pocket from a local Toyota dealer for $6.45.

My local dealer wanted $15 for the pocket, so I foolishly ordered one. I made sure it was the single-din sized one. It came in about 3 weeks, they said it would take 1. It was the double-din "radio delete" pocket. To be fair, they did say they'd try to reorder the single din and get it in a week, but I gave up and made my one little plastic thing, it's not a pocket but it didn't cost anything.
Old 02-21-2003, 04:32 PM

Yea I had to special order it from my local dealer, so I'm hoping it wont cost too much... I'm gonna head out to pick it up tomorrow possibly. 15 bucks is a lot for a plastic pocket.