Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2000 4Runner no start

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2000 4Runner no start

Hey guys so hers my problem, hopefully someone has had a similar issue and can help. So I have 2000 4Runner SR5 3.4 V6 PreRunner. I was driving along perfectly fine one day when the truck just died on me. I had no phone so I was forced to leave my truck abandoned along side the road overnight. Upon returning my truck was broken into as i found the passenger side front window forced down and off of its tracks. Amazingly nothing was stolen. Having thought i ran out of fuel the day before I returned with 5 gallons of fuel and filled it into the truck. When I went to start the truck, all the dash lights, turn on but the engine dose not crank. More details of the problem and what i've tried...

Problem:
Truck dash lights, head lights, radio, basically all interior stuff turns on fine and works, but when i try to start there is nothing but a clicking sound coming from the starter relay, nothing from the starter itself. When i try to start, all the dash lights stays on constantly and does not become dim like when the battery is low or a typical start up. CEL is off.

What I've tried so far:
I had the battery load tested which it failed, so i have a brand new battery. Same issue continues..
I have a jump pack which I've connected to the new battery just to give it a try. Same issue...
I went under the truck with a wire and jumped the starter to see if it would crank, which it did so the starter does work and the battery is strong enough to crank it. Both starter wires are connected.
I tried jumping the starter with the key on, it started for about 3 minutes and then died, with the same issue continuing.
A friend has 96 4Runner so we tried switching the starter relay. Mines worked in his truck, but my issue continues.
Switched out the starter switch from the same 96. Mines worked in his truck, but my issue STILL continues....

Any other suggestions before a shop is considered? ANY help or suggestions is greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!
Old 09-29-2017, 01:57 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Have you pulled the codes if so what are they ??

For the no crank look at the neutral safety switch if Auto or the clutch safety if a 5 speed
Old 09-29-2017, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry yes forgot to mention it’s an auto. I did try starting it in neutral just to try without luck. How do I check the neutral safety switch? I’ve suggested to a friend to try and pull the codes but since the check engine light doesn’t come on he said there wouldn’t be any?
Old 10-01-2017, 09:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is the starting circuit diagram 2000 4Runner 5VZ-FE.

Forget pulling codes on this.

The first thing to do is check the 7.5A STA fuse and verify there is power at both ends of the fuse when the key is turned to START.

The second thing I would do is jump 12V+ to the starter relay coil at Pin 2. That should cause a drank and confirm that the relay, starter and battery are all working.

If so, that pretty much indicts the Park/neutral switch so open it up and check it for continuity.
Attached Files

Last edited by TheDurk; 10-01-2017 at 09:24 AM.