Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

1st gen rear axle removal....

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 08:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st gen rear axle removal....

Got my rear springs installed Friday. Put the 4runner up and ran her up to 45mph.
The wheel has a .014" wobble and i can hear it growling at me . So i'm going to go ahead and replace the rear axle.
Anyone have the procedure to do this?
Thanks.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:37 AM
Banned

Sorry to hear that Toddski.... If the housing is fabar'd then you'll need to get a straight one from the yard. It's really pretty simple. Jack the truck up and support it on the frame. Drop the driveshaft from the transfer case and the third, set it aside (good time to check for ujoint wear). Remove tires and set them under the truck stacked for safety, then disconnect brake lines (8 or 10mm) from the drums and, have some rags and a catch handy for the brake fluid. Disconnect the e brake pins off the arms and set the pins aside. Unbolt the e brake cable from the housing. Drain the housing of all gear oil by removing the plug. Remove (4) 14mm nuts from behind brake backing plates/ the flange... and pull out the shafts/ drum brake assembly all in one shot(no need o tear the rear brakes apart, unless you want to inspect them). Do both sides, making sure to keep the o-ring seals. Then remove all nuts from the third (12mm) and drop that heavy ˟˟˟˟er out and put it aside somewhere clean (good time to examine the gears or add a locker). Now you'll need to remove the brake soft line from the housing (8 or 10mm), and the prortioning valve arm. That's everything you need to remove from the housing for now. put a juck under the housing and unbolt the ubolts holding it to the springs on both sides... drop it down w/ the jack and roll it off out of the way.
Paint the new housing and make sure all surfaces to be sealed are nice and clean, free of any old gasket material around the third member flange. Transfer the brake lines over if needed. Reassembly is the reverse, just be sure to follow all torque settings in the fsm or a decent haynes or chilton manual. Refill and bleed the brakes, refill w/ gear oil. You can either use a new diff gasket or just use some fipk/ or good black silicone to seal up the third... either way works fine. Really theres not a whole lot to it and can be done easily in a half to full day.
Anyone see anything I missed? Or not very thorough on? Hope this helps you Toddski and good luck!

Edit! Just saw your other post Toddski... My bet is the housing is bent somewhat. If it is just the axle shaft just go to the jyard and get the whole assembly off another runner and swap it in. Just remove the the ebrake pin and unscrew the brake line (rags and a catch). Unbolt the 4 flange nuts (14mm) and swap in the other one. Reuse the o-ring for the seal and your done.

Last edited by flecker; 05-03-2004 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-04-2004, 04:46 AM
Contributing Member

Update....

Thank you flecker. That was fairly simple procedure.
I replaced only the drivers side axle. Kinda surpised how easy it came out with just (4) bolts.

Here you can see my collection of parts i have removed.

Installed my new shackles to give me a bit more lift in the rear.

Had to wash her up a bit.

Drove the 4runner in this morning. I think i need an alignment as the front end wanders a bit.
Gonna see about maybe getting rid of the 30" tires and going with something larger.

The gal that hit me, her boyfriend called me last night. He was real apologetic. He works for a nice body shop and he told me that he will cut me a good deal to fix my rear quarter panel. So i might see what he can do.
Old 05-04-2004, 07:49 AM
Banned

Glad it worked for ya Toddski... did you happen to try driving it a little on the jacks? Just to see if the rear wobbled a bit before/ after? And yeah.. you could squeeze 32's under there, or at least 31.5's So everything else looked ok? ie: ujoints, driveshaft wasn't bent... etc? Looking good
Old 05-04-2004, 07:56 AM

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!

I swear, the first gen could still be Playmate of the Year!

^_^
Old 05-04-2004, 07:56 AM
Contributing Member

I did run it up on jacks up to 50mph. Had a small vibration.
Seems the vibration lasts up till 30mph. I may have the driveline balanced later to see.
Everything else looked good. Guess time will tell.
Thanks again .
Old 05-04-2004, 08:17 AM
Banned

I know this sounds dumb... did you maybe lose a wheel weight, like they use for balancing? That would cause the vibe... so would a munched ujoint for that matter but then the vibe gets worse the fater you go.
Yeah... playmate of the year!
" Well boys, this one likes mud and some rough stuff... her measurements are 32"s x 15 x 8", her favorate color is grey and she really likes to be pampered and polished occasionally. Her favorate past times are going straight up and down, and at times rocking side to side." Gets my vote!
Old 05-04-2004, 08:21 AM

probably one of the cleanest / rustless 1st gens I have ever seen!! crazy.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:33 PM

Thumbs up

Hey Todd. Glad to see your Runner up and about again.
Like I said before you have nicest stock 1st gen I've seen.
Hope to see you on some runs soon.
Mike

Originally Posted by Toyo_Runner96
probably one of the cleanest / rustless 1st gens I have ever seen!! crazy.
The inside is just as clean.
Old 05-06-2004, 06:12 AM
Contributing Member

Hey Mike....
Its been a long time since i have seen any dirt. My two sons keep buggin' me to go up.
Hope to start again once i finish building my house.