Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

1999 toyota s.c, 7injected 4runner: throwing code/hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 06:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 toyota s.c, 7injected 4runner: throwing code/hesitation

hows it going guys? a buddy and i have recently supercharged with the 2.1inch URD pulley and URD 7th injected his 99 toyota 4runner and we have a few issues.

-First thing that has popped up is a CEL code p1135 which i have read and seems to quite possibly be a front O2 sensor?

-second, is a large and aggravating hesitation at low rpm's mostly in first gear off idle. you can hold the throttle pedal to the floor and the vehicle just boggs down and barely goes anywhere.

-third problem is that the clutch is slipping horribly!!! just looking for a light weight flywheel and a clutch that can handle what is now going on underneath the hood.

thank you guys for any suggestions because for some reason the hesitation seams to be getting worse...
Old 01-15-2012, 05:32 AM

there is no way that no one knows, come on toyota geniuses!
Old 01-15-2012, 05:46 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Give it time for a response
Old 01-15-2012, 07:32 AM
Contributing Member

The CEL could easily cause the power loss. Do you have a wideband on it?

Sure it is tuned properly? Without meth injection a 2.1 pulley is a lot for plain pump gas and it could have high EGT's which would burn up the O2 sensor.

Start out by fixing the CEL.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:44 PM

unfortunatelly we do not have a wideband but have been told that the preloaded tune should be just fine. maybe soon we will bring it to a dyno place in town and see exactly how much we can get out of this beast.

replaced the front O2 sensor which was suppose to be the reason for the 1135 and then got a 1133 code. in midst of changing the 02 sensor we found out that the 4runner is a cali emissions runner which ment that i did the 7th injector wiring slightly wrong, only by one wire. so earlier i fixed the mix up and cleared the code and now we are waiting to see if it will re appear.

i do have a buddy that is a toyota tech that may be able to hook this thing up to the machine at work.

as far as meth injection goes, about how much does it cost, how is it done and how much of a gain is there? i mean we already have the 7th injector which is suppose to take care of any problems caused by the supercharger and even the 7th injector.

another question is can the rev limiter be lifted a little on these vehicle's safely and if so how? we don't want to raise it much it just seems like the charger is in need of maybe another 500rpms to really get the most out of it.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:45 PM

I'm sorry for so much stuff at once... i just do not get a chance to check the forum often so i try to get as much in at once as i can.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:06 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by toyotanick
unfortunatelly we do not have a wideband but have been told that the preloaded tune should be just fine. maybe soon we will bring it to a dyno place in town and see exactly how much we can get out of this beast.

replaced the front O2 sensor which was suppose to be the reason for the 1135 and then got a 1133 code. in midst of changing the 02 sensor we found out that the 4runner is a cali emissions runner which ment that i did the 7th injector wiring slightly wrong, only by one wire. so earlier i fixed the mix up and cleared the code and now we are waiting to see if it will re appear.

i do have a buddy that is a toyota tech that may be able to hook this thing up to the machine at work.

as far as meth injection goes, about how much does it cost, how is it done and how much of a gain is there? i mean we already have the 7th injector which is suppose to take care of any problems caused by the supercharger and even the 7th injector.

another question is can the rev limiter be lifted a little on these vehicle's safely and if so how? we don't want to raise it much it just seems like the charger is in need of maybe another 500rpms to really get the most out of it.
I would try to get a wideband on it, with a 2.2 pulley it is not as big of a deal but smaller then that it is a smart idea to have one. The tune that came with my 7th injector was WAY off and I had to start over from scratch to get it right. Others have much better luck though.

Not sure what to tell you about the code since I don't know the codes by heart, what does the code stand for?

You are on 93oct right? How much boost is it making right now? The 7th is good but far from perfect. I replaced mine with a meth injection kit over a year ago and would never go back but I also have easy access to cheap methanol.

Properly tuned the 7th should keep the motor safe as long as you don't have one of those knock prone trucks.

When I added meth injection I gained at least 15-30whp. Very noticeable difference in power and it was a lot safer for the motor. I am a meth injection fanboy though so it was a no brainier for me to do it.

Meth injection can be done for anything from $150 - $600. I personally have a $600 kit that completely replaced my 7th injector setup since it does the same thing, only better.

Sadly, no easy way to raise the rev limiter. Would not do an auto truck any good anyways since the shift points would not change. It could use another 500 rpm's although it is debating how safe that is due to the weak rods/rod bolts.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:56 PM

ok good to know. i think we have figured out the codes issue. the truck is indeed a cali emissions truck and i had originally done the non cali emissions wiring for the 7th injector. the wiring has been fixed and we haven't seen a code yet, he drove that thing a lllll over the place today. my biggest problem is i don't have a wide band anywhere to use, and i don't think we can afford it or would even have a clue on how to use it. we still have to do the headers, exhaust, electric cutout, and a clutch so that we can really test and tune it at the local dyne place. its pushin about 10lbs right now according to the gauge we have in it. not sure how accurate this is but it pulls pretty hard, until the clutch starts slipping and even then the runner just keeps pulling.

when we get it running right we are planning on taking a track day. we also have several supermoto's in out little group and really want to know what they run, so that ought to be fun!
Old 01-18-2012, 04:51 AM
Contributing Member

Well, I would just say be careful with it till you get it on the dyno (make sure the dyno has a working wideband before going) or you get a wideband. Also got the colder spark plugs in it?
Old 01-21-2012, 05:09 AM

yeah it has the colder plugs but, gapping them was very odd. there was not way to gap them without screwing up that crappy little wire tip.

quick question, will exhaust help the truck quite a bit? i have ted headers that we will be puttingg on the truck soon and we will also be putting an electric exhaust cutout. i was wondering if the headers and exhaust are going to give a noticeable difference?
Gadget at urd said that the cutout should do no harm and that the 7th injector etc. should be able to handle the change from back pressure to basically none.

interested to hear you take on this ace.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:16 AM
Contributing Member

yeah it has the colder plugs but, gapping them was very odd. there was not way to gap them without screwing up that crappy little wire tip.

quick question, will exhaust help the truck quite a bit? i have ted headers that we will be puttingg on the truck soon and we will also be putting an electric exhaust cutout. i was wondering if the headers and exhaust are going to give a noticeable difference?
Gadget at urd said that the cutout should do no harm and that the 7th injector etc. should be able to handle the change from back pressure to basically none.

interested to hear you take on this ace.
You gapped the iridium plugs? Ouch, only supposed to gap copper plugs, that could be your problem. The tips can break off super easy. I would pull the plugs and check them out.

The headers will help quite a bit, the exhaust I have not seen super gains from but it will help. I did run open headers for a short time though (aka, open cutout) and it was WAY too loud for my tastes. I am talking setting off car alarms while driving by parking lots loud. Great to show off but I would not drive around like that, hurt your hearing if nothing else.

If you put the cutout past the O2 sensors it won't effect the way the truck runs much. If you have a decent exhaust installed it won't help performance much either. I still run the stock exhaust personally and have no issues. I am sure I could pick up ~10hp if I changed it out though.

Basically, headers = Good move if you can stay sane though the install.

Exhaust = Good if you have the money to spend on it and want a louder truck.

Cutout, I think it would be a waste of money unless it is dirt cheap and you want to be able to scare people. It is more of a toy then anything really having to do with performance once you have an exhaust system on it. On a stock exhaust system it would help performance.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:26 AM

my buddy owns a 02 trans am with true duals and single chamber flowmasters that dump over the rear axle... its loud and sounds amazing. he wants to stay with his stock exhaust because he has a baby, and is trying to seem like a responsible parent, when around another parents of course, and the open it up when he wants to have fun.

would you happen to have dyne results on the tuned 7thinjector and whatever urd pulley you ran with that? i know you are now running a 2.0 but am not sure what you were running before. maybe even some quarter mile times?
Old 01-21-2012, 05:29 AM
Contributing Member

Here is a dyno of my truck with the headers, 7th kit and stock pulley. Everything else was stock too.

Lots of videos here: http://www.youtube.com/user/TexasAce.../3/lLnFf0_H8bI

If he is installing the cutout with the stock exhaust then he should see some minor gains, be warned though, it is LOUD. REALLY loud.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:33 AM

lol yeah he heard mine with no exhaust, just collector and we both loved it. not for everyday use obviously but it was awesome for a day... haha

so you never ran an aftermarket pulley with the 7thinjector kit?
Old 01-21-2012, 05:35 AM
Contributing Member

lol yeah he heard mine with no exhaust, just collector and we both loved it. not for everyday use obviously but it was awesome for a day... haha

so you never ran an aftermarket pulley with the 7thinjector kit?
It gets a lot louder with the headers.

I did run a pulley later just not for the dyno which was a few years ago. I added the pulley when I added the meth injection.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:38 AM

darn... I'm sure you felt a huge difference with that change? i know you were also running meth but I'm sure there was a huge diff.

well, when he can afford to change the clutch in this beast we will also be doing the headers that way we will have the transmission out of the way, i think it will go quite well!

any suggestions on clutch and flywheel combo? i was think lightweight flywheel and urd's stage 4 clutch?
Old 01-21-2012, 05:41 AM
Contributing Member

darn... I'm sure you felt a huge difference with that change? i know you were also running meth but I'm sure there was a huge diff.

well, when he can afford to change the clutch in this beast we will also be doing the headers that way we will have the transmission out of the way, i think it will go quite well!

any suggestions on clutch and flywheel combo? i was think lightweight flywheel and urd's stage 4 clutch?
Yeah, it was a BIG difference going from the 7th kit and stock pulley to a meth kit and 2.0 pulley.

I estimate I am around 250whp now.

I am an auto so not much help with clutch choices.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:11 PM

lol yeah thats true... cool. well thanks for the help. ill keep the thread updated with and quarter mile times or anything like that!