Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

1991 v6 a340 Overdrive Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 v6 a340 Overdrive Question

Hi:

I have an interesting problem I've searched high and low to solve. Picked this truck up from my dad over a year ago and love it. New motor, and this week a rebuild on the original a340 overdrive tranny pretty nice and new underneath now.

Long story short as possible, tranny started slipping intermittently (rarely) like three months ago. I changed the fluid once and it was really dirty and burned...Getting the car with 180k on it (body and interior in great shape but that's a different story) I figured maybe it hadn't been changed in awhile. A week later (two thursdays ago), it started slipping again, only this time the overdrive light started flashing and I couldn't really release it from slipping by manually shifting into first like I had done before.

So I took it to three shops each of which said the fluid was burned and I needed a rebuild. Took it to my known mech and he said the same thing. Knowing they were a good shop I said well rebuild it. Got it back friday and it ran like a champ....But today, right after I started up and drove like three blocks (not long enough to warm up the gear oil I think) , hit a stoplight...you guessed it, when i went to take off the overdrive light was flashing again. Put it in first and played the way too old routine all over again.

Funny thing is is after you stop for awhile the problem just goes away. Then it'll start again sometime else when I least expect it.

Can anyone give me an answer as to why this is before Monday June 14 when I have to call the mechanic and let him know. I'd really love to go in prepared.

Thing is...The transmission probably needed the $3000 rebuild anyways but sheesh. After that soaking I really don't need another if they should have and could have checked something else!

Thanks for the help!!!

Last edited by ctcost; 06-12-2004 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-12-2004, 08:04 PM

K guys should have done a better search. Thanks anyways but I think I got it:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...verdrive+light
Originally Posted by ctcost
Hi:

I have an interesting problem I've searched high and low to solve. Picked this truck up from my dad over a year ago and love it. New motor, and this week a rebuild on the original a340 overdrive tranny pretty nice and new underneath now.

Long story short as possible, tranny started slipping intermittently (rarely) like three months ago. I changed the fluid once and it was really dirty and burned...Getting the car with 180k on it (body and interior in great shape but that's a different story) I figured maybe it hadn't been changed in awhile. A week later (two thursdays ago), it started slipping again, only this time the overdrive light started flashing and I couldn't really release it from slipping by manually shifting into first like I had done before.

So I took it to three shops each of which said the fluid was burned and I needed a rebuild. Took it to my known mech and he said the same thing. Knowing they were a good shop I said well rebuild it. Got it back friday and it ran like a champ....But today, right after I started up and drove like three blocks (not long enough to warm up the gear oil I think) , hit a stoplight...you guessed it, when i went to take off the overdrive light was flashing again. Put it in first and played the way too old routine all over again.

Funny thing is is after you stop for awhile the problem just goes away. Then it'll start again sometime else when I least expect it.

Can anyone give me an answer as to why this is before Monday June 14 when I have to call the mechanic and let him know. I'd really love to go in prepared.

Thing is...The transmission probably needed the $3000 rebuild anyways but sheesh. After that soaking I really don't need another if they should have and could have checked something else!

Thanks for the help!!!
Old 06-26-2004, 08:42 AM

Update:

Due to the threads I printed out from here (link in last post) and articles from Transtec that said the shop should replace both the number 1 and 2 shift solenoids in any rebuild of the A340E or H, the shop replaced them both at their cost. tranny runs like NEW!

Thanks to all you guys just for being here!

Here's links to the transtec and tranny code numbers for the next guy down the line:

This is a pdf file on the history of the a340 tranny with instructions to the rebuilder to replace those pesky solenoids:

http://www.transtec.com/rebuilder_news/3rd_q93r-n.pdf

And here's a list of the codes:

http://www.lextreme.com/Lex%20Autodx.pdf