Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

160A Alternator and Optima Yellow Top in :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 03:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by WATRD
I shopped around and the only source I found for a chuck that locks on is NAPA.
My GF actually suggested NAPA last night, and ... I FOUND IT!

It sounds like we will have no shortage of folks who can act as mixologist in camp...
And... I'm actually a licensed mixologist in WA. Yeup, I'm a grad-i-ate of The Bartending College (the GF as well).
Old 06-26-2003, 04:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I'm currently putting together a home-grown CO2 set-up, but I don't think they sell air driven impact blenders...
Old 06-26-2003, 07:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Mad Chemist
Well, I'm currently putting together a home-grown CO2 set-up, but I don't think they sell air driven impact blenders...
I'd venture a guess that if you run an air hammer into a vat of ice that someone happened to dump a bunch of Tequila into, that you'd get a pretty good mixer going.
Old 06-26-2003, 07:46 PM
Contributing Member

Ok guys, who is going to be the first with a supercharged blender? Perhaps some custom impellers or whatever they're called to get more speed and better blending action! If you can't supercharge it, perhaps some stickers (ala the ricers) or a spoiler to get some more hp.

On a more technical note....

The current capacity of wire is going to vary a lot depending on the conditions. If you have an uninsulated wire with good ventilation, it can safely carry quite a bit more than an insulated wire that could be in the middle of a bundle of other wires all generating heat. That wire in the middle could carry a lot more for a short time too than continuously.

The national electrical code, for example, has their ratings that most are probably familiar with such as 12ga solid copper for a 20A circuit. They have taken into account the fact that the wire is going to be inside walls surrounded by insulation, etc. with serious consequences if it overheats. If I remember right, there are factors they use to derate the current carrying capacity of cables if they are to be put into conduits or metal raceways with other circuits.

Unless you know the exact conditions (like load currents, duty cycle, how its mounted, etc.) about all you can do is try to be conservative, especially if you're trying to publish a table for people to use who can't or won't go through a bunch of calculations to come up with a better number. Of course, some times one is concerned about the voltage drop across a length of cable, so you might go with heavy wire just to keep that low. At 12volts, it doesn't take much voltage drop to affect the power a motor can develop.

I checked one table I found and the solid wire of a given gauge seems to have slightly higher resistance than stranded, but not enough to cause a drastic change in carrying capacity.

Alan
Old 06-26-2003, 10:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by mpulver
My GF actually suggested NAPA last night, and ... I FOUND IT!

And... I'm actually a licensed mixologist in WA. Yeup, I'm a grad-i-ate of The Bartending College (the GF as well).

I spotted similar locking chucks today in Ace Hardware in Northbend. Something like $8.50.

I guess we know what YOU will be doing in camp... Muhahhahhaha

"Hey Barkeep! Just ONE more round..."