Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
View Poll Results: Which body lift do you recommend??
Go with the 1" Roger Brown body lift!
47.24%
Go with the 2" Roger Brown body lift!
37.19%
Don't do it (no body lift at all!)
15.58%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

1" or 2" Roger Brown body lift??

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 05:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 1" or 2" Roger Brown body lift??

OK... I need some feedback. Should I go with the 1" or 2" Roger Brown body lift??

A 1" RB BL seems like it would be almost un-noticeable and hardly worth the effort (until a suspension lift was completed anyway). But then again, the down side of the 2" RB BL is that it creates a pretty noticeable gap between the rear bumper and the hitch. Plus, when I finally get around to installing a 1½"- 2" suspension lift (not likely till the current OEM shocks wear out), the 2" RG BL may but my rig to high to get into the garage (with my Wilderness on top).

Wha'doya think?? I need feedback!

Thanks.

Last edited by hillbilly; 09-11-2003 at 06:01 PM.
Old 09-11-2003, 06:11 PM

I voted 2 inch, but if you add 1 more inch of body to that & 4 more inches of suspension lift you will be as happy as I am. Good luck, so many guys complain likes 's that body lifts suck but I beg to differ.
Old 09-11-2003, 06:22 PM

well it depends what you want the BL for. Most people get the BL for the extra clearance for bigger tires. And the one inch is very helpful with that. However if you ever plan on installing a steel bumper, there will be a big gap up front with a 2". I would go for a 1" if I were to do a body lift for bigger tires.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:21 PM

In my opinion a body lift higher than 1" is too much. It looks dumb in my opinion with all the fender gaps and hitch gap, and possible bumper gaps depending on the model of vehicle. Plus there's more to do during the install of a higher than 1" body lift.

Chris
Old 09-11-2003, 10:03 PM

Talking Different strokes 4 different folks!

I like body lifts for one. I find that it is all in how it will look as to whether you should do one or not. My 4runner is a good choice for going sky high at 3 inches. My hitch is already hidden above the bumper so when I do my BL it will nearly be inline with the bumper. With the fender gaps you just need to purchase lift lips to cover the uglyness. The space below the front bumper is all in how creative you can get. Paint it up nicely or another idea that a buddy of mine is in the owrks on is diamond plating across that area and then installing fog lamps to make it look proper. I agree that lifts can look crappy. That is only if you just lift it and leave it without cosmetic mods.
Old 09-11-2003, 11:53 PM

I'm doing the 2 inch because at least on 3rd gens, the rear bumper comes up with it, and front bumper relocation brackets fix the front as well. Then, all that is left is the hitch, which looks like can easily be modified to bolt to the top of the frame rails instead of the bottom, thus lining up perfect again. I almost have to agree, the 1 inch isn't really noticeable cosmetically, and would only be needed if you were trying to clear larger tires. IMHO.
Old 09-12-2003, 03:18 AM
Contributing Member

I am not a big fan of body lifts. But I voted for a 1" over a 2" because of the gap issues. The bumpers will go up with the body (with the brackets) but the hitch skid plates will all be more noticable.
Old 09-12-2003, 04:42 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
GO FOR IT!

Originally posted by ravencr
In my opinion a body lift higher than 1" is too much. It looks dumb in my opinion with all the fender gaps and hitch gap, and possible bumper gaps depending on the model of vehicle. Plus there's more to do during the install of a higher than 1" body lift.

Chris
Don't be afraid of heights! Go with a 2" Roger Brown body lift like I did, get the front bumper brakcets and take off the freakin hitch and sell it on ebay! Then buy/build a custom rear bumper like you want and put a hitch in it, wala, no gap! You can get a drop hitch anywhere from 2-8 inches so no problem there.

Yes, there are concerns about gettin the rig in the garage, I have those too, but if it comes to lift or rack, I'll take the lift and put the rack on when I need it and the rest of the time park in the garage.

My 0.04

Brian
Old 09-12-2003, 07:21 AM

Roger can make a body lift a custom size. Anything above 2" you'll need to extend your steering shaft and do something about your shifters. Roger has tons of info at his site. I say go 1" or 1.5" at most.
Old 09-12-2003, 11:15 AM
Contributing Member

Can't get rid of the hitch...

Hey.... I like the 1½" idea. Thanks Victor. Didn't realize I could get one that splits the difference.

As far as the hitch goes, I'll never take it off. I specifically looked for a 4Runner with a hitch and man am I glad I did. The hitch has paid off numerous times in the short 1½ years I've owned it. I use it fairly frequently. I've hauled tons (no kidding) of firewood, lumber supplies, and a ton (literally) of porcelain tile flooring that I pulled out of my kitchen to the transfer station (a.k.a. dump). Plus, I have a bike carrier for the hitch and an aluminium fold up cargo carrier (rectangular basket) I use all fall/winter to cart deer carcasses home after successful hunts.

I've thought about the custom bumper, but the Rockware I want is pretty spicey ($650+). With that kind of tag, I won't be seeing one anytime soon....

Anyone have any idea how easy/difficult it would be to modify an '01 OEM hitch to move it up 1½"???

Last edited by hillbilly; 09-12-2003 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-12-2003, 11:28 AM
Banned

Re: Can't get rid of the hitch...

Originally posted by hillbilly
Hey.... I like the 1½" idea. Thanks Victor. Didn't realize I could get one that splits the difference.

As far as the hitch goes, I'll never take it off. I specifically looked for a 4Runner with a hitch and man am I glad I did. The hitch has paid off numerous times in the short 1½ years I've owned it. I use it fairly frequently. I've hauled tons (no kidding) of firewood, lumber supplies, and a ton (literally) of porcelain tile flooring that I pulled out of my kitchen to the transfer station (a.k.a. dump). Plus, I have a bike carrier for the hitch and an aluminium fold up cargo carrier (rectangular basket) I use all fall/winter to cart deer carcasses home after successful hunts.

I've thought about the custom bumper, but the Rockware I want is pretty spicey ($650+). With that kind of tag, I won't be seeing one anytime soon....

Anyone have any idea how easy/difficult it would be to modify an '01 OEM hitch to move it up 1½"???
Just make some brackets. If I recall that thing doesn't mount with more than 6-8 bolts. It can't be that much of a big deal to fab some brackets out of some c/s and rattle can'em.

Brian
Old 09-12-2003, 12:31 PM

I believe it would be harder than you expect because if it mounts like mine, it mounts to the bottom of the frame rails, which no bracket could fix, at least not on mine anyway.

Chris
Old 09-12-2003, 12:35 PM
Banned

I believe it would be harder than you expect because if it mounts like mine, it mounts to the bottom of the frame rails, which no bracket could fix, at least not on mine anyway.

Chris
eh...you might be right doc. For that much trouble I'd just fab me a new bumper and be done with it!

Brian
Old 09-12-2003, 12:37 PM

That's what I'm hoping to do soon. I'm going to start with the rear first, and then the front. How's your plans coming for your rear bumper?

Chris
Old 09-12-2003, 12:45 PM
Banned

In the rough...

That's what I'm hoping to do soon. I'm going to start with the rear first, and then the front. How's your plans coming for your rear bumper?

Chris
Very in the rough. Just sketches and ideas, no measurements or anything concrete. I have other fist to fry before we get there. I figure at the earliest, next Jan or Feb. I can only push through so much personal stuff at the shop and this one would be a BIG one, so I have to wait until it gets slow in the winter.

I have shackles, sliders, already done the panhard and e-brake bracket, and a custom rack fairing to do.

Brian

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 09-12-2003 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:17 PM
Banned

i voted 2" because 3" wasnt an option... think of it this way... you will always be kicking yourself later when you realize that extra litte 1" could make soooo much difference
Old 02-16-2005, 08:00 PM

I have the RB 2 inch and it is great. Email him he can put everything you need in the kit and at a good price. for the side gap you can get a generic side gap kit that will hide is with some highgrade rubberized plastic I thing the RB site has some info on that as well...the gap back on the hitch will not even be noticed in a month you wont even know it is there....
Old 02-16-2005, 09:59 PM

I got the RB 2 inch on my 88 4runner. I was gona go for the 1 inch, but on a 1st gen a 2" gives you a option of doing a drivetrain lift and also lifting the gas tank. The gaps on the fenders were barely noticeable, but I got some rubber flaps from “liftlips” because the original rubber flaps were shot anyway. I DID have to extend my steering shaft and I had to bend my shifter a little bit. Another advantage of the 2 inch is that easily allows you to install rock sliders to protect the body.
Old 02-17-2005, 03:25 AM

Why are you doing the lift? Looks? Function - to fit bigger tires?

If it's for looks, do the 1" - the gab caused by the 2" will probably drive you nuts

If it's for function, do the 2" and squeeze in the biggest tires you can fit. If you know what sized tires you want to run, find someone running them on the same generation rig you have and ask about clearance and their setup. Then do whatever they did to make the tires fit.

Seems pretty cut and dry to me.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:00 AM

Whats the difference?

Personnally I would get the 2" lift just for the functionality of it. What is the difference betwen the "Roger Brown" BL and 4Crawler . When you click on Roger Browns link it brings you to the 4 Crawler site. Is this the same BL or did Roger Brown change it? Just wondering.

Quick Reply: 1" or 2" Roger Brown body lift??