Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

01 w/HID's and DRL disable (FYI)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 w/HID's and DRL disable (FYI)

I wanted to post this thread because of the problem that I had after installing my H4 Bi-Xenon HID kit.

After the purchase of my 01 4Runner, the first thing I did was to disable the factory daytime running lights. I read on the internet and everyone basically said, "cut the white with black stripe" to get rid of the daytime running lights. So I did. DRL were gone but the high beam indicator was faintly illuminated. Wasnt a big deal to me.

Then I desided to install a H4 HID kit. This kit is a high/low kit and is the 6000k color. One problem. Every now and then when the truck was started the HID ballast would turn off/on--off/on--off/on. Kinda like the HID relay was searching for a ground or had a low voltage problem. HUMMMM????? I was stumped.

I started reading on the Yotatech.com website and ran across a thread about the white/black wire was the WRONG wire to cut. It said to cut the Black/yellow wire instead and you would not have the High beam indicator faintly illuminated and you wouldnt have any side effects.

I connected the white/black back together and then cut the black/yellow.
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!! The black/yellow is the CORRECT wire to cut to disable your day time running lights. And if you have a bi-xenon kit this is a must. I wanted to post this so others might learn from what I figured out this weekend.

BTW---If you havent installed a HID kit into your 4runnner, YOU SHOULD. Simply amazing. If you have never driven a car or truck with HID's you should. Then install a HID kit into your 4 Runner. HAPPY 4RUNNING!!
Old 11-02-2008, 10:32 AM

3 years and going. BiXenon too. Must disable DRL or burn your ballasts..
Old 11-02-2008, 04:00 PM

Nice. I just installed my HIDs today, but I don't have any high beams. Is that common?

I have DRLs also but once I turn on my engine and take off the parking breaks, the headlights flicker like a strobe light.

How do I fix this on a 2002 4runner Sport Edition? Is it the same as 01? Also, I heard I had to get a Non-DRL relay thing and swap it out.

Also, where did you guys get your HIDs and do you have high beams and what's the price?

Any advice would be useful. Thanks.

Last edited by TheloniousMonk; 11-02-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by TheloniousMonk
Nice. I just installed my HIDs today, but I don't have any high beams. Is that common?

I have DRLs also but once I turn on my engine and take off the parking breaks, the headlights flicker like a strobe light.

How do I fix this on a 2002 4runner Sport Edition? Is it the same as 01? Also, I heard I had to get a Non-DRL relay thing and swap it out.

Also, where did you guys get your HIDs and do you have high beams and what's the price?

Any advice would be useful. Thanks.
Go to the daytime running light relay under the dash, out in front of the gas pedal. unplug the harness, cut the BLACK WITH YELLOW TRACE WIRE. Problem solved. Did you buy a H4 Bi-xenon kit or just a low beam only kit?? We sell the kits where I work. $169 shipped 6000k or 8000k works best.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:27 PM

u can disconnect the drl's behind the battery, by the fender over the wheel. pull the plug out of the silver little box with vents. no cutting required.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by michalik_piotr
u can disconnect the drl's behind the battery, by the fender over the wheel. pull the plug out of the silver little box with vents. no cutting required.
This can only be done on '00s with drls.

On '01 & '02s, the only way to disconnect the drls is by cutting the wire under the dash at the drl module. There is no box by the battery on '01 and '02 4Runners.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by redneckj
I wanted to post this thread because of the problem that I had after installing my H4 Bi-Xenon HID kit.

After the purchase of my 01 4Runner, the first thing I did was to disable the factory daytime running lights. I read on the internet and everyone basically said, "cut the white with black stripe" to get rid of the daytime running lights. So I did. DRL were gone but the high beam indicator was faintly illuminated. Wasnt a big deal to me.
Redneck, sucks to hear you cut the wrong wire to begin with. Having done so, you may have blown your drl module in the process...which if you're like me and never plan to have drls again, then it doesn't really matter.

I blew my drl mod too by mistake a couple years ago by cutting the wrong wire. Oh well. Went back and cut the correct wire. I've been drl free for about 2yrs now.

You must have missed it, but there's a "how to" guide on disabling your drls for '01 & '02 4Runners in the tech section that tells you which wire to cut and which wire not to cut:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f127...ability-87596/

Originally Posted by TheloniousMonk
Yep, same as '01. Cut the Yellow/Black wire.

Last edited by Rock Slide; 11-02-2008 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
Redneck, sucks to hear you cut the wrong wire to begin with. Having done so, you may have blown your drl module in the process...which if you're like me and never plan to have drls again, then it doesn't really matter.

I blew my drl mod too by mistake a couple years ago by cutting the wrong wire. Oh well. Went back and cut the correct wire. I've been drl free for about 2yrs now.

You must have missed it, but there's a "how to" guide on disabling your drls for '01 & '02 4Runners in the tech section that tells you which wire to cut and which wire not to cut:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f127...ability-87596/

Yep, same as '01. Cut the Yellow/Black wire.
Not blown as far as I know of. But if it is, NO biggie. I never want DRL's anyway.

Pray for snow! Im ready to ride!!!

Old 11-02-2008, 06:40 PM

Pray for snow! Im ready to ride!!!
Im with you man! bring on the snow!

And I cant even tell you how jealous I am of that sled.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:11 PM

My HID's were single beam as well, but I had plenty of light output combined with my Hella Micro DE's which I also converted to HID.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:29 PM

Go to the daytime running light relay under the dash, out in front of the gas pedal. unplug the harness, cut the BLACK WITH YELLOW TRACE WIRE. Problem solved. Did you buy a H4 Bi-xenon kit or just a low beam only kit?? We sell the kits where I work. $169 shipped 6000k or 8000k works best.
Thanks.

I guess it's just the low beam kit. Bought it off ebay. They work well, but I didn't know about the high-beam. Can I just replace the bulbs?

Oh BTW, how do I solve that strobe-light effect when the DRLs are on? The only reason why I want to turn it off is because the DRLs don't seem to support the HIDs.

Last edited by TheloniousMonk; 11-02-2008 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:39 AM
Contributing Member

I think im going to do a 6000k or 8000k HID bi-xenon upgrade soon. i really love the amount of light. i heard that i can get some in the free zone down here, but they're so hard to find it'll take me awhile to find out exactly where.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:31 AM

Why would just cut the wires....I just disconnected the DRL "box" from the system when I installed my H4 conversion kit.

Top quality german made kits --->

http://www.futurevisionhid.com
Old 11-03-2008, 03:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jay204
Why would just cut the wires....I just disconnected the DRL "box" from the system when I installed my H4 conversion kit
Read my Post # 6.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
Read my Post # 6.
oops my bad...thanks Rock Slide
Old 11-04-2008, 03:47 AM

props to rock slide for also helping me find that wire to disable my drl
Old 11-04-2008, 04:03 AM

HID's without projectors = fail.

And the reason is......

Old 11-04-2008, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror

And the reason is......

couldn't have said it better myself...lol
Old 11-04-2008, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror

And the reason is......
Do they sell after market projectors for 2002 4runners?

Has anyone had any complaints or problems with HIDs in their 4runners (2002 or earlier)?

Last edited by TheloniousMonk; 11-04-2008 at 08:37 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:57 PM

BTW---If you havent installed a HID kit into your 4runnner, YOU SHOULD. Simply amazing. If you have never driven a car or truck with HID's you should. Then install a HID kit into your 4 Runner. HAPPY 4RUNNING!!
FALSE. If you have never driven a car with HIDs installed in PROJECTORS, you should. If you've ever been blinded by an HID kit, then you know exactly how much you're blinding other drivers.

Not to start another ranting thread, but please, if you're gonna do it:

DO IT RIGHT.

Case in point-

Last edited by pdyebrasil; 11-04-2008 at 09:00 PM.

Quick Reply: 01 w/HID's and DRL disable (FYI)