86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Swimmerboy2112's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 08:31 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Ooooooooooh, exciting! hhahaha.

Not great with painting the entire rig, just accessories, Swimmer. Sorry. MFW sounds like he knows his stuff! ^^ Just ask around, Swimmer, it's always best to triple check on stuff, ya know?

Good luck!
Old 06-05-2010, 10:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mfwimg82
You can get paint cheaper not as good but better than rolling it on . if you use an acrylic enamel with hardner no need for clear coat check out this site http://www.paintforcars.com/kits_sunshineyellow.html

At this price it is ok to learn I would also order an extra quart of reducer mix it 2 parts paint 1 part reducer
220 or 320, clean surface, paint not that hard
Thanks man, i got your PM, i'll be taking it into consideration.

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Ooooooooooh, exciting! hhahaha.

Not great with painting the entire rig, just accessories, Swimmer. Sorry. MFW sounds like he knows his stuff! ^^ Just ask around, Swimmer, it's always best to triple check on stuff, ya know?

Good luck!

Yeah i can paint little stuff good as well but im not sure about big things such as the whole truck…

And I did post a thread about paint but no comments yet...
Old 06-05-2010, 10:21 AM

Yeah, just remember, Swimmer.....once again, IT'S THE WEEKEND! Lol. I've learned that response on the weekends can either pick up like a banshee or DIE! LOL. Either way, you've had some pretty good response all in all, eh?

Paint is a very specific gift.....might not be TONS of people that are good at it, and if there is, they are few and far between, ....so there might not be a ratio of too many of them on at a time, ya know? lol.

Start googling "DIY PAINT MY TRUCK" and "what paint is best for the price for painting vehicle" and 'taping off before paint job on toyota', ....etc., lol.

good luck, man!
Old 06-05-2010, 10:33 AM

Yeah, just remember, Swimmer.....once again, IT'S THE WEEKEND! Lol. I've learned that response on the weekends can either pick up like a banshee or DIE! LOL. Either way, you've had some pretty good response all in all, eh?

Paint is a very specific gift.....might not be TONS of people that are good at it, and if there is, they are few and far between, ....so there might not be a ratio of too many of them on at a time, ya know? lol.

Start googling "DIY PAINT MY TRUCK" and "what paint is best for the price for painting vehicle" and 'taping off before paint job on toyota', ....etc., lol.

good luck, man!

Helpful as always! I know the basic idea of the stuff i need from searching around here but i guess i'm really looking for a little confidence lol as stupid as that sounds, i HATE messing stuff up on my vehicles.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:44 AM

Well, it's nothing shameful to trust that SEMI-PERMANENT application, PAINTING A VEHICLE, to a professional. DO NOT get me wrong. I have no idea whether or not you'll do a good job. Neither can I know it wont turn out fine. Just saying.....the one thing you have to remember(being a professional, I have much experience with this...) is that, while you can get paint cheap, save on the labor.....sometimes, it's cheaper to go with the actual professional, because they deal in so much volume, that same paint costs them 1/4TH WHAT IS COSTS YOU, and they want the biz, ....so they even, often, drop the price for a basic paint job.

Just a thought.....start surfing, lol.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:49 AM

Well, it's nothing shameful to trust that SEMI-PERMANENT application, PAINTING A VEHICLE, to a professional. DO NOT get me wrong. I have no idea whether or not you'll do a good job. Neither can I know it wont turn out fine. Just saying.....the one thing you have to remember(being a professional, I have much experience with this...) is that, while you can get paint cheap, save on the labor.....sometimes, it's cheaper to go with the actual professional, because they deal in so much volume, that same paint costs them 1/4TH WHAT IS COSTS YOU, and they want the biz, ....so they even, often, drop the price for a basic paint job.

Just a thought.....start surfing, lol.
But you have to remember that it is just a beater and getting it done professionally would be a little ridiculous in my opinion.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just go for it! I have been painting for 30 plus years and you can still mess up but you can fix it if not it was you not someone else that did it . That site has some different paint primers at decent prices you could paint it mess it up and paint it again for under $200 DO IT !
Old 06-05-2010, 11:53 AM

just go for it! I have been painting for 30 plus years and you can still mess up but you can fix it if not it was you not someone else that did it . That site has some different paint primers at decent prices you could paint it mess it up and paint it again for under $200 DO IT !
X2, now that I see you're not really concerned with it coming out "MINT".....I'm sure you'll do fine, Swimmer, ....don't learn if you don't practice though, right? Make sure you READ UP, BIG TIME, k? AND GET A MASK! lol
Old 06-05-2010, 12:26 PM

haha yeah ill have to look at some other paint tips and such, and yes i will be painting outside so there will be plenty of ventilation and i will still wear a mask.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:40 PM

GOOD, I learned the hard way at your age by painting my friends Fiero GT, and even with the mask, being in the garage on a NO WIND summer night caused me to have blue nostrils for 2 DAYS! lol hahaha. One for my grandchild to hear, no doubt, eh? lol.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:05 PM

GOOD, I learned the hard way at your age by painting my friends Fiero GT, and even with the mask, being in the garage on a NO WIND summer night caused me to have blue nostrils for 2 DAYS! lol hahaha. One for my grandchild to hear, no doubt, eh? lol.
haha yeah man and no telling what lung damage that could have done...
Old 06-05-2010, 06:47 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
You might check Craigslist or put a "wanted" ad in there. Where I live someone is promising paint jobs for $350. It's an independeant body shop. I sure would want to see some finished jobs first. Also , If you have a Maaco they do cheap jobs when they have a special. You should do all the body work and masking and final dewaxing yourself though. I got a dirt cheap job from them years ago on a Honda and then sold it to a neighbor. It still looked good when he wrecked it six years later. I also had a faded red Nissan pickup painted by Earl Sheib for $99! I brought them the paint, the original color a freind got me from NAPA. I did all the sanding cleaning and removed body stripes myself. It looked decent. I'm not saying that any of these ideas will rise to the professional level of the body man who responded above. You do get what you pay for. It's just that alot of shops only want to do insurance jobs. Another idea would be to go to a "cruise in" of car enthusiasts and ask if they know anyone. Maybe some old retired guy is out there doing jobs in his back yard. But if it's a beater that just needs color check the implement paint at Tractor Supply plus a hardener for it for about $50.00 a gallon. Or get a whole bunch of spray cans of "Safety Yellow" Rustoleum. My son used that on a Pinewood Derby car. He warmed the paint in hot water and clearcoated it after it dried. It came out awesome and he is only 10.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:17 PM

Nervo19, those are some real good ideas, i'll have to give them a try! Thanks!
Old 06-05-2010, 10:50 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
hahaha... painted the interior on a Scion tC blue... in the garage in 40* weather and howling wind... for 4 nights straight...

needless to say i ended up blowing blue boogers out my nose for a month and even puked a pretty cerulean color one morning on the way to work...

NEVER AGAIN!!!
Old 06-06-2010, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by space-junk
hahaha... painted the interior on a Scion tC blue... in the garage in 40* weather and howling wind... for 4 nights straight...

needless to say i ended up blowing blue boogers out my nose for a month and even puked a pretty cerulean color one morning on the way to work...

NEVER AGAIN!!!
That's gross lol i'll wear a mask!!
Old 06-07-2010, 01:16 PM

I finished all the bondo yesterday, now i just need to take a few and prep for paint.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like you are not messing around. You mentioned you went to penn state where are you from? I am in southeastern pa
Old 06-07-2010, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112
I finished all the bondo yesterday, now i just need to take a few and prep for paint.
Remember the unwritten rule around here, brudda, ....."PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!" hahaha. Just saying, lol....

Jk, but that's what many around here will say,...just for fun. ...Just trying to prepare ya. lol. Sounds great, good job man! Can't wait to see it done, did you finally figure out the paint(where, what # is Viper Yellow, who's mixing it, how much, ....do you have a mask for your GF? hahahaha, jk)

Wishing you well, Swimmer,

Mark
Old 06-07-2010, 01:59 PM

sounds like you are not messing around. You mentioned you went to penn state where are you from? I am in southeastern pa
I'm from Easton PA, near Allentown.

Remember the unwritten rule around here, brudda, ....."PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!" hahaha. Just saying, lol....

Jk, but that's what many around here will say,...just for fun. ...Just trying to prepare ya. lol. Sounds great, good job man! Can't wait to see it done, did you finally figure out the paint(where, what # is Viper Yellow, who's mixing it, how much, ....do you have a mask for your GF? hahahaha, jk)

Wishing you well, Swimmer,

Mark
I attached a pic just for you! lol And about the paint i'm just going to go with boat paint so i can roll it on, the guys wanted $400 for the viper yellow paint (too much considering i picked up the truck for only $91 more). Haha and my GF lives about an hour and a half away so she unfortunately will not be helping in the painting process.

Bondo'd with a coat of primer! The other fender looks the same.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:00 PM

Ok, so the pic looks like it's real rough but i can assure you it's smoooooooth

Quick Reply: Swimmerboy2112's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread