86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

svdude's 87 4 Runner build up

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I got the runner all prepped, inside and out. The use of a 4" flapper disc on the inside and some 80 grit on a palm sander on the outside made really light work of everything.

The next part is where I get to show off a cool little trick I learned a while ago. If you have a hole in sheet metal that you need to fill, do the following: Get a small piece of copper plate and secure it to the inside of the hole:

Sand down to bare metal to attach the ground for the welder and clean the area around the holes:

Then just fill in the holes with a little bit of weld. The filler metal does not stick to the copper and it will sand down nice and smooth.

The brown truck of goodness showed up just as it was getting dark so I will have to wait until tomorrow to apply the liner. Hopefully my masking tape will stay on over night and not get all messed up due to condensation.

More tomorrow
Old 02-16-2012, 04:36 PM

Holy crap.. nice work dude are you going to put any sound proofing stuff on the sides?
Old 02-16-2012, 04:39 PM

I have about 40sq/ft of a roll left from a previous stereo project. I was thinking about putting it in there. When I do my carpet I will get some 3/8" or 1/4" sound dampening material and glue it to the bottom of the carpet. The idea is to be able to pull the carpet and pressure wash it after wheeling then hose out the inside of the runner.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:02 PM

are you putting in new carpet or reusing your old carpet?
Old 02-16-2012, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by lemons17771
are you putting in new carpet or reusing your old carpet?
For now I'm going to reuse the old crappy carpet. Eventually I will get new carpet but it's low on the list. Right now I'm making sure that this runner stays rust free.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:19 AM

The first coat of the monstaliner is done Unfortunately they say to wait a few hours before applying the second coat. For me to do the inside of the runner with a second coat I will have to get up inside of the runner. I don't think it will be dry enough for me to get in it till tomorrow. So, the second coat gets applied tomorrow. Hopefully the masking tape will still come off decently tomorrow.

I'm loving how well the gray liner matches the top

Old 02-17-2012, 11:27 AM

Nice, should paint the whole truck, color looks great, thanks
Old 02-17-2012, 03:42 PM

that looks awesome..
Old 02-17-2012, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by RMP8080
Nice, should paint the whole truck, color looks great, thanks
Originally Posted by B-yodaful
that looks awesome..
Thanks! I should be done with the liner tomorrow and have the interior put back together on Sunday.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:21 AM

Done!

Side view:

Inside:

And a close up of the texture:
Old 02-18-2012, 03:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks great, I hope it cuts some if the noise down
Old 02-18-2012, 06:05 PM

They say that this liner dries up to 40 mils thick per coat. I used two coats. There's 1000 mils per inch, so this liner is just under a 10th of an inch. I doubt it will cut any noise to be honest.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:16 PM

Man, that looks good, my f350 bed was done by linex and yours looks better.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Fantastic work on the engine and on the interior!!

I've been looking for a turbo t stat housing with 2 sensor/sender bungs forEVER.....I have the SR5 with the OEM temp guage and some autometer gauges. I want to run the autometer sender in the same T stat housing with the OEM sender (right now it's in the top radiator hose....not the best location).

If you're interested in trading yours for mine (non turbo 22RE t stat housing), lemme know via PM. Mine isn't pretty blue like yours though

Looking forward to seeing your continued progress!
Old 02-19-2012, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by RMP8080
Man, that looks good, my f350 bed was done by linex and yours looks better.
Thanks. I chose the monstaliner for a few reasons. I wanted gray. Monstaliner and herculiner were the only ones that had a gray diy kit. Herculiner wasn't uv permanent and I didn't want a bunch of rubber particles in it. I'm glad I went with monstaliner, it looks great and came at a great price!

Originally Posted by Philbert
Fantastic work on the engine and on the interior!!

I've been looking for a turbo t stat housing with 2 sensor/sender bungs forEVER.....I have the SR5 with the OEM temp guage and some autometer gauges. I want to run the autometer sender in the same T stat housing with the OEM sender (right now it's in the top radiator hose....not the best location).

If you're interested in trading yours for mine (non turbo 22RE t stat housing), lemme know via PM. Mine isn't pretty blue like yours though

Looking forward to seeing your continued progress!
Thanks!! I would trade you in a second if I still had that two sensor t-stat housing. I found a non turbo housing and painted it pretty blue. Then I sold my two sensor housing already. If you want to find one, go to 22rte-trucks.com and post in the classifieds. There are people there that can help you find that t-stat housing.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by svdude
Thanks. I chose the monstaliner for a few reasons. I wanted gray. Monstaliner and herculiner were the only ones that had a gray diy kit. Herculiner wasn't uv permanent and I didn't want a bunch of rubber particles in it. I'm glad I went with monstaliner, it looks great and came at a great price!

Thanks!! I would trade you in a second if I still had that two sensor t-stat housing. I found a non turbo housing and painted it pretty blue. Then I sold my two sensor housing already. If you want to find one, go to 22rte-trucks.com and post in the classifieds. There are people there that can help you find that t-stat housing.
Thanks I wil check out that site!
Old 03-19-2012, 04:57 AM
Dee

Hey! I saw your truck this morning at a gas station and stopped to check it out. I'm really sorry for ambushing you that early in the morning, but man this is a nice vehicle! Keep up the great work!
Old 03-19-2012, 09:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Awesome build! I like your attention to detail! I was just wondering what type of upholstery dye you used, and also how is it holding up so far? I would like to re-do my dash pad eventually, thanks & keep up the good work!
Old 03-19-2012, 04:09 PM

Thanks guys! I try to do my best and take my time. This is my first time building something like this so I get a lot of my ideas and education from here, tr4.org and pirate. I'll have more to post soon!
Old 03-19-2012, 04:13 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Looks good buddy!

Quick Reply: svdude's 87 4 Runner build up