86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Stew's paycheck to paycheck build (91 4runner)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 07:16 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeahhhhhhhh, Booooooooeeeeeeeey! HAHAHA. .... YEP, those Studs can be a BEAR!

Congratz, man.... getting close! Still on track for DEADLINE! "COUNTDOWN, T-MINUS 15 HOURS/45 MINUTES....MARK!" hahaha.

PS> Seriously, Stew... good job, man!
Old 10-18-2012, 10:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First off your title makes me laugh on your build paycheck to paycheck you my friend are a soldier, second I hate you because you have an ARB bumper but it looks good I can't wait to get mine and third good job on the your rebuild keep it up!
Old 10-19-2012, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey hopefully someone can give me a quick answer here!!!!!

I was tightening down my upper ball joint and I noticed that the thread beam that goes through the upper steering knuckle is spinning with the castle nut!!! None of the other ones did that and I checked my old uppers and one does spin and one doesn't spin. I just called Toyota and they said "Oh well something is wrong with your truck, there's not enough wait on there then" I call B.S

Luckily I have an old upper that does not spin so i'm going to through that back in there but has anyone ever had this on a new ball joint?
Old 10-19-2012, 09:00 AM

From what I've seen around the shop, new ball joint should be shift. Not freely turning like that. Maybe a defected part?
Old 10-19-2012, 10:03 AM

You're saying, The entire shaft and ball are turning around inside the ball joint journal???? Hmmmm... yeah, that doesn't seem right at all. Are you saying you're trying to tighten it down, and like any stripped exhaust stud or something, the stud and ball are turning with the nut while you're trying to tighten it.... and you can't get it to tighten past 10#(as an example)????

Far as that Counter KNOB? lol...>>> THAT WAS A FLUFF ANSWER! Seems like you've had more than one problem with this particular dealer, no? That sucks, cuz mine, DCH Toyota, in Torrance? "What can we do for you?.... OH no, that's no good, ..... bring it on back".... They don't try to run it past their shop foreman to get a "reason" to deny exchange. Obviously, with MAF's, AFM's and such... they have a "make sure you need it, cuz there's no refund on electrical components unless defective"(and even then, you'd have to have had an 'ASE CERTIFIED' mechanic install it and HIM verify for them, "Yeah, this thing is toast from the unwrapping".... Ya know?

Personally, I would return it, FOR CASH BACK(make sure they will over the phone... In fact, call any local respectable shop and tell them that the shaft and ball are turning while you're trying to torque it down... and then when they say, "WHAT?" lol... tell Toyota, "I have a mechanic that will call your bluff... I WANT MY MONEY BACK").... Once you know they'll take it back, order from www.toyotapartszone.com , and you'll have it in a couple days, man, for 40$ or so, IIRC. Order it before 2 or so and it might ship today, ya know?... They have like 100 Outlets they ship from... Mine came from Santa Ana... like 30 miles away! lol. In the meantime, yep, just slap your old one back in and call it susie until the replacement comes in the mail.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:24 AM

Hey guys thanks for the replies!! I'll just put the old one in, hopefully it doesn't fail The dealer did in fact say, "bring it in and we'll check it out" I was just bummed that he said my truck is an offset southern girl with one leg bigger than the other. However if I do put the old one in and get the new one next week sometime, should I hold off on the alignment? IMO, disconnecting the steering arm wont through it off however i'm probably wrong.

Chef I cannot tell you how grateful I am that you scared me staright about those bearings!! I went and bought a tool and I feel soooooo much better knowing that they are all greased up and it only took 10 min!!!! I think cleaning my bench will take longer however. Thanks man!

Well my drivers side is done! All I need to do is put the old ball joint in, connect the caliper and torque the CV to Diff studs and then it's time for a test drive! That is the definitely the moment of truth right there, i'm a little nervous haha.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:25 AM

PS> I will try to do a test today.... Put an old OEM BJoint with 289K Miles on it, in a Vice, then double nut and try to turn that threaded ball shaft(ok, I know, I know... but I can't think of another way to phrase it ).... Just to see if it turns. Other than 'TOWARD DRIVER WHEEL AND TOWARD PASSENGER WHEEL', I just can't remember how much the ball should move side to side....(front end to rear end directionally)....Just doesn't seem to me that there's anything to stop it from turning that way... to some degree, .... On MOST exploded 'cutaway' views.....

Old 10-19-2012, 10:27 AM

Hey thanks Chef! Since you were writing a reply I don't think you saw my previous post ^^^
Old 10-19-2012, 10:32 AM

Just saw your last post.. 'MY PLEASURE, STEW!'
Old 10-19-2012, 10:40 AM

Hahaha, that's funny... happened again! lol.

Yeah, those can freeze up and .... well, like Brakes or Fuel leaks that people let go.... I always put it in this perspective.... "uhmmm, yeah, hey, you, yeah, you....... THAT CAN CAUSE DEATH!", ..... hahaha... I mean, SERIOUSLY, right? I guess I 'MAKE SURE ON THE INFO' and probably overdo it at times on the explanatory side... Because, for one, I DON'T WANNA DIE, nor anyone else to die or be injured because of something SO EASY to do right but also so easily missed, ya know?>>>> And I've been in 2 near fatal wrecks(as I'm sure you've seen pics of, etc.).... Once, because of brakes... Could have been prevented... Know what I mean? Also, .... cuz my brother in law was on the 405 FRWY doing 60 when his wheel FLEW OFF! lol. Bad preload on the bearings and FORGOT TO GREASE THAT SIDE! lol....

PS> Can you grease those upper BJ's, Stew? (The originals?)... I would do that until you get the replacement.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 10-19-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:55 AM

Well now i'm screwed My old upper that was not spinning, is now spinning!! I guess my best bet is too try to hold that shaft is place and screw the castle nut on, i'm just worried that with the shaft spinning, the whole ball joint is useless now. Here is a video of what I mean. .

http://s1227.photobucket.com/albums/...=IMG_06411.mp4
Old 10-19-2012, 12:57 PM

Yaaaay! I'm done haha. I managed to get the new upper ball joint in the there, I just turned the whole assembly to put some pressure on it. Got everything torqued, greased and I took it for a drive. 2wd feels and sounds great, a lot quieter, 4wd feels good as well. No binding or odd sounds. I definitely need an alignment though haha. Thanks for all the help Yotatech, Chef especially!

Now onto my next issues, haha oh boy. I've got what I think is a vacuum leak. Every time I sit in drive for about 15 sec it boggs down and sometimes stalls. I thrn put it in neutral and it starts right up. Now if I come up too a stop light and put it in neutral the idle is a bit funky but it is yet too stall. I'm gonna go take an unlit propane torch to the hoses and check them out.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:00 PM

RIGHT ON, MAN! Great feeling, isn't it? Sure, it needs aligning.. BUT, .... it'll hold that alignment SOOOO MUCH better now? And it'll steer better too, buddy WHEEL BETTER TOO!
Old 10-19-2012, 06:20 PM

Well I took it too get an alignment but ended up just making an appointment for Monday. 6 miles from my house to town and that was by far the sketchiest drive ever! The wheel is turned about 90 degrees, speed wobbles at 55+, wheels are all off cambered. My heart dropped like no other when what I think and pray to the Toyoda Gods was my Tire Iron fell, it made a pretty loud thump, I thought I was gonna die. Once I get my alignment, i'm heading to the gas station then heading to the trails for the first snow drive of the year! Oh yeah!
Old 10-19-2012, 10:59 PM

"wheel is turned about 90*..........." >..................... WHAT? hahaha. I hope I'm correct in assuming that was an exaggeration for the purpose of dramatically making your point? .... "WATCH OUT, THIS GUY'S WHEEL IS TURNED COMPLETELY SIDEWAYS ON ONE SIDE! " hahaha. Wait, ... you are joking, RIGHT?

PS> You did everything to torque/recommended values, right? including the steering rod? And, ... you did mark the pitman EXACTLY how it came off, ...then tried to get the new one on the same teeth, right?
Old 10-29-2012, 02:43 PM

Haha oops :)

Lesson of the day? TORQUE!! TORQUE TORQUE TORKITY TORQUE!!!

So when putting everything back together I made sure I left myself time to properly torque everything. It was totally worth buying the torque wrench, definitely makes you feel better about the job, more professional than "quick get 'er dun" work. I had to replace two wheel studs which involved pulling apart my rotor and hub. There are 6 bolts and silly me, I forgot to torque those 6! Well it came back and bit me in arse today when one of those bolts fell out and started rolling around in the rotor, no room for it to just fall out so yay for me, I got to take everything apart again its a lot easier now that I know how but such a PITA. It's also chewed up the ring around the steering knucle plate? I think is what it's called?

Anywho I could not find the torque specs in my Haynes, i'm gonna check out the FSM here in a minutes but of the top of your head, does anyone know the proper torque for these bolts? Once again it's the 6 that you need to unbolt to separate the hub from the rotor.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:35 PM

'Hub/Disc Backing plate'.........

AND HOLY TUMBLING DESTRUCTO-BOLT!
Old 10-29-2012, 08:39 PM

Don't have time to look it up.... But, ....... I'd bet it's in the front of the "Brakes" section of the Haynes.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:56 AM

HOORAY FOR WINTER!! I picked up more hours with one job and my winter job starts this Sat so time to bust out all the gear haha. I put my boots on and hopped around my living room for a bit and holy cow am i'm tired, shins feel like crap haha.

Paychecks should be flowing a bit smoother so the money pit continues . Not too many items are in my sight as of now. I would like to get a pair of Aisins, sliders and a CB. As far as I know, that's pretty much all I will be able to afford this winter and I hope I can get the Aisins and a CB in before Jan. I also need to buy some snowboard gear so that draws from the Yoda fund.

Last edited by StewsRunner; 11-08-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:47 AM

Well it's been pretty slow here. I was hoping to have Aisin hubs and a CB by this time but I'm pretty sure i've spent upwards of $400 on college stuff so that was a large draw. I've already got a CB that I set on my pass. seat and a little magnetic antenna I slap on the roof, only works up to about 100ft so pretty useless but bearable. Anyways I'm getting ready for a wheeling trip next weekend so I thought i'd get a couple small but pretty expensive items. I think every off-roader should keep these in their rigs. . .
Name:  IMG_07141_zpsa5c935f8.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  115.0 KB

I guess my phone was upside down?

Name:  IMG_07151_zpsc402e76b.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  129.3 KB

Quick Reply: Stew's paycheck to paycheck build (91 4runner)