86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

rustED's 87' 4Runner Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 12:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sweet!!! Can't wait to see what you do with it.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rustED
Those are some good looking tires, I like the wheels painted black, I may go that route too, depending on how well these wheels clean up.
Yeah, I like them better than BFG's for road driving. They come with stud pockets as well in case you live in an area that gets a lot of ice.
Old 01-08-2016, 11:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackStone
looking good! cant wait to see more.
Originally Posted by bootscootboogie
Sweet!!! Can't wait to see what you do with it.
Thanks fellas, it's nice to be able to make a little progress, I can't wait to get the new tires and wheels on it next week, it should really improve the drivability and appearance!

Originally Posted by mad_sb
Yeah, I like them better than BFG's for road driving. They come with stud pockets as well in case you live in an area that gets a lot of ice.
I'm curious to see how these new BFG KO2's perform in the snow and ice. I had a set of the older style BFG AT's years ago...at this point any tire will be a great improvement over what I'm currently running, lol!

Last edited by rustED; 01-08-2016 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:34 PM

Today I pulled the rear coils back out and cut an additional half of a coil off them lowering the rear by 1 inch, and leveling it out, I didn't care for the rake that it had.

Name:  20160111_125328_zpskz8mntx5.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  242.7 KB

^^^Here's how much I cut off the first time, and then today an addictional 1/2 coil.

I also wanted to say thanks to arlindsay1992. He sold me some factory center caps and lugnuts for my SR5 wheels. The shipping was super fast, everything arrived in great shape and was wrapped in bubble wrap. Thanks to him I was able to get my tires and wheels mounted on the 4runner today. It was too dark to get any pics, but I'll post up some tomorrow.

Last edited by rustED; 01-11-2016 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Nice work on the Zuk mod Can't wait to see those Sr5 rims on the truck
Old 01-12-2016, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by junk4u
Nice work on the Zuk mod Can't wait to see those Sr5 rims on the truck
Thanks, I'm happy with the way it's riding now,and love the looks of the new tires and wheels on there. I need to take it out and test out these tires and see how they perform in the snow!

Name:  20160111_125351_zpsr3k20pxq.jpg
Views: 1016
Size:  203.1 KB
^^^Here it is after cutting another 1/2 coil off the springs...sits pretty level now.

Name:  20160112_100032_zpsbh00amii.jpg
Views: 978
Size:  197.3 KB

^^^Here it is with the SR5 wheels and KO2'S and the center caps and lugnuts I got from arlindsay1992.

Time to cross some things off the list!

◆ Fix intermittent start issue, (click, no start)....(DONE!)
◆ Replace the muffler, the current one is completely rotted and half missing.... (DONE!)
◆ Get some better tires mounted.... (DONE!)
◆Fix passenger side front seat. I flipped it forward, and now I can't recline it back into regular sitting position.(I got the seat flipped back, but the lever and cable are trashed, need to fix, will eventually replace front seats.)
◆Clean the inside really good, I think a cat or dog was living in there!
◆ Replace the heater controls. It blows hot, but all the selector switches and faceplate toast, need new knobs too.
◆Zuk mod, I'll probably use Jeep tj front coils again..... (DONE!)
◆ Replace the front bumperand end caps and remove the valance. Probably go with black.
◆ Remove all the chrome trim paint the grille black or replace with black one.

Last edited by rustED; 01-13-2016 at 12:40 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:55 PM

I stuffed some minivan coils up under the back of my last yota pickup
they helped a lot when hauling really heavy loads.
but it did ride a bit stiff LOL
Old 01-12-2016, 06:57 PM

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
Looks killer!!
Old 01-13-2016, 04:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Those SR5 Rims look great on the Truck gives a cleaner sharper look I think.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by piglett
I stuffed some minivan coils up under the back of my last yota pickup
they helped a lot when hauling really heavy loads.
but it did ride a bit stiff LOL
I've heard of people using mini van coils, what year and make/model did you use?

Originally Posted by 84 yota dude
Looks killer!!
Thanks man, I'm liking it.

Originally Posted by junk4u
Those SR5 Rims look great on the Truck gives a cleaner sharper look I think.
Thanks, I agree. This is probably the most stock looking toyota I've ever owned, lol, I was pretty stoked to get the 31's on there!
Old 01-13-2016, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Wheel and tires look great on it. I always thought the BFG did great on snow. To get the passenger side seat flipped back with a broken cable, lift the lever and then on the inner track, closest to the center of the truck, you can operate the release. When you have the release levers free from the notches that they are in, you can slide the seat back and then tilt the seat into the correct position. Done that a few times.

I have been wanting to go to a bike shop and get the cable and rebuild my own but never got around to it. Finding one in the boneyard is not easily done.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:11 PM

you ever meet that person in the parking lot that walks up to you with a giant stupid smile on his face and says "HEY SAME CAR!!!!"..... well today that is me

Old 01-14-2016, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Wheel and tires look great on it. I always thought the BFG did great on snow. To get the passenger side seat flipped back with a broken cable, lift the lever and then on the inner track, closest to the center of the truck, you can operate the release. When you have the release levers free from the notches that they are in, you can slide the seat back and then tilt the seat into the correct position. Done that a few times.

I have been wanting to go to a bike shop and get the cable and rebuild my own but never got around to it. Finding one in the boneyard is not easily done.
Thanks Terry. I'm liking the BFG's, so far the seem to be doing great in the snow, I get around in 2wd most of the time. Thanks for the tip on working the seat. I found a cable in the rear side compartment, I'll have to check it's condition, but I'm pretty sure it goes to the seat. That's a good idea trying the bicycle hand brake cable.

Originally Posted by 92ehatch
you ever meet that person in the parking lot that walks up to you with a giant stupid smile on his face and says "HEY SAME CAR!!!!"..... well today that is me
That's funny, "twins"! I don't think I'd ever seen that color combo before getting mine, wish mine was in as good as shape as yours!

Last edited by rustED; 01-14-2016 at 11:45 PM.
Old 01-15-2016, 03:01 AM

That picture does mine alot of justice.

My build thread is coming soon. I have the pics, just don't have the thread started
Old 01-26-2016, 08:45 PM

Recommendations 4 Replacement Radiator?

The 87' has been running great for me, no problems...until last Saturday. I was driving home from work at night, truck was running fine, I was almost home, coming up the driveway (our driveway is 2 miles long) when I had to stop because of a fallen tree across the road. When I got out to move some of the broken up tree, I could smell antifreeze, like my engine was running hot. I immediately went back around to check the temperature gauge, which is an aftermarket one that the PO had installed, and it doesn't illuminate with the rest of my gauges which is part of the reason I didn't notice it was running hot. The temp gauge was running really hot so I shut off the motor, and let it cool down. After it had cooled off I started it and drove the rest of the way home, about a half mile. I noticed the heater was blowing cold when as i started driving. It was starting to heat up again as I pulled up to the house.

I didn't have time to look at it till today. I was thinking maybe I had a bad thermostat. I went to check the coolant level in the radiator and I couldn't see any coolant, so I went to add some and a few seconds later it was pouring out the bottom of the radiator. The PO had replaced the radiator with an aluminum one with the plastic tanks. Tomorrow I will pull it, not sure if it's cracked, has a hole, or if the plastic is starting to delaminate from the aluminum. So that's where I'm at, I have no idea how far or how long I drove it like that. It's 24 miles from work to my house, I can't imagine that I drove it that far without coolant. The truck ran fine the entire time, no hesitations, or stumbles. I'm hoping the head isn't warped. I checked the oil, no signs of coolant in the oil....probably because there wasn't any coolant left.
I guess my next course of action is to replace the radiator, then determine if the head is warped/ blown headgasket. Anybody have a recommendation for a replacement radiator? I looked at one from Lowrange Offroad, LCE Performance, and one on E-bay:

**EDIT** This one from lowrange off-road is on back order
http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/1984-...l20aAhfD8P8HAQ

http://www.lceperformance.com/Heavy-...-p/1093066.htm

Here's an aluminum one from Koyo
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KOYO-ALUMINU...-/161541653165

Last edited by rustED; 01-27-2016 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:02 AM

We were working on an accord once that had a bad radiator. Replaced it and bleed the coolant. After we capped the system the new radiator burst.

New doesn't mean good necessarily.

I have also seen bad headgasket blow out radiators from extra pressure in the system. You should check for exhaust gasses in coolant or even do a leak down test and see if coolant bubbles during the test.

You can also start the truck with the cap off. If coolant shoots over the hood you have a bad head gasket or cracked something causing combustion pressure into the cooling system.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:11 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I doubt you drove it to far and caused any damage. I think the truck would of started acting up if it had of gotten to hot. I ran a car out of oil one time and it started bucking and I shut it off immediately and no damage on it. I think you would of had some engine issues if it had gotten to hot.

It is nearly impossible to find an original radiator new. I still prefer the old brass style. I buy salvage yard ones and take them to a professional radiator shop and have them cleaned and repaired. I still think they are the best. I just dont like plastic as I feel it can just crack out in bitter cold weather.

You can get a radiator out of an automatic truck and it will still fit in with no problems. As far as suggestion on a good replacement, I dont have any suggestions as I have never bought one. I have seen you post in the past that you dont have a salvage close to you. Might see if a salvage would ship you one. If you want a salvage one, I could post some salvage yard numbers for you that might ship one from my area.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by 92ehatch
We were working on an accord once that had a bad radiator. Replaced it and bleed the coolant. After we capped the system the new radiator burst.

New doesn't mean good necessarily.

I have also seen bad headgasket blow out radiators from extra pressure in the system. You should check for exhaust gasses in coolant or even do a leak down test and see if coolant bubbles during the test.

You can also start the truck with the cap off. If coolant shoots over the hood you have a bad head gasket or cracked something causing combustion pressure into the cooling system.
I didn't have time to pull the radiator today, but I pulled the old thermostat out and tested yesterday. It was rated at 195* and I checked the water temperature with the wife's meat thermometer (no she didn't know, lol) it read 212* before I placed the thermostat in there, and it never did open. Im sure that contributed to the radiator failure.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I doubt you drove it to far and caused any damage. I think the truck would of started acting up if it had of gotten to hot. I ran a car out of oil one time and it started bucking and I shut it off immediately and no damage on it. I think you would of had some engine issues if it had gotten to hot.

It is nearly impossible to find an original radiator new. I still prefer the old brass style. I buy salvage yard ones and take them to a professional radiator shop and have them cleaned and repaired. I still think they are the best. I just dont like plastic as I feel it can just crack out in bitter cold weather.

You can get a radiator out of an automatic truck and it will still fit in with no problems. As far as suggestion on a good replacement, I dont have any suggestions as I have never bought one. I have seen you post in the past that you dont have a salvage close to you. Might see if a salvage would ship you one. If you want a salvage one, I could post some salvage yard numbers for you that might ship one from my area.
That was my thought also Terry, the engine never did act up, that leads me to beleive, or at least has me hoping that it didn't do any damage.

I will not go with another aluminum/plastic tank style radiator. Some people swear that they are fine, and all the newer cars have them, but I personally would trust an original style brass or new aluminum one better. I wish I hadn't sold my old 3.0 radiator that was in my 86' for several years, a guy at work needed it, so I sold it for $20, lol, didn't think I'd be needing it again!

Last edited by rustED; 01-27-2016 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 03:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think the CSF three row all metal copper brass radiator is one of the better aftermarket choices.

I've had mine over three years with no issue.