86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

GreenYoda's 1995 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea, im getting better, but I have been doing an assload of it lately. always a learning process
Old 06-10-2011, 11:07 PM

Still coming along nice man. I got alot more lift than that on my leafs maybe an inch or two, but definitely a good look man. I wanna see the pics of the front done....
Old 06-11-2011, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by 9164RUNNER
Still coming along nice man. I got alot more lift than that on my leafs maybe an inch or two, but definitely a good look man. I wanna see the pics of the front done....
getting close, Money has been kinda tight lately, ordering my knuckle service kit from marlin crawler today, should be here by wednesday. hopefully by then my control arms will all be on, and I'll have a rough idea of what im doing with steering and track bar. hopefully by thursday it will be on its own in the front (minus brakes cause I gotta do a little research on using IFS hubs/fj40 rotors.

also got to find some manually locking hubs.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:28 PM

My buddy has this setup on his truck and is awesome cuz you dont need to use bolt on spacers to make the width the same

http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/new...uct.php?id=127
Old 06-11-2011, 10:14 PM

My buddy has this setup on his truck and is awesome cuz you dont need to use bolt on spacers to make the width the same

http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/new...uct.php?id=127
yep, I will be using IFS hubs, although there is a way to do it without spending $200+

there is a post floating around here somewhere

Got my control arm brackets tacked up, need to finish welding them up, and get it some what aligned, then onto uppers

Old 06-12-2011, 11:17 PM

my idea for placement of the upper links failed once I got this truss welded up, then the springs compressed, with the brackets on top, it would only leave maybe 3" between the oil pan and the brackets... that wouldnt be good if I took the truck airborne.

I think I got it figured out, going to try to get them in place tomorrow, just concerned with drive line clearance

Old 06-14-2011, 09:07 AM

alright, finally took some better pics.

need to move the axle back a little

one of the uppers tacked in place, just trying to figure out placement

still a little extra stuff I need to cut out of there

Old 06-14-2011, 04:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks so complicated with all those links
Old 06-14-2011, 10:42 PM

Definitely alot more work and alot more confusing than just doing a leaf setup. Just out of curiosity why did you decide to do coils?
Old 06-15-2011, 06:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dont you get a better ride and more travel
Old 06-17-2011, 08:10 PM

Definitely alot more work and alot more confusing than just doing a leaf setup. Just out of curiosity why did you decide to do coils?
part of the fun is the project, its easy to slap on some leafs and call it a day, I wanted to learn about suspension design, best way to learn is to do it.

coils do ride a little better (although a proper leaf setup rides ok too) but there is more adjustability in a link setup.

I had to make my upper control arms longer, they were to short, and ended up putting to much stress on the brackets, and would make the axle roll to much when traveling up and down

its really hard to try to align the axle right now, as the axle moves side to side then changes the length of the links. But I cant make a track bar until I get my steering/drag links done (ordering high steer arms tonight, and need to go pick up a fj80 pitman arm tuesday)

and got my shackles for my front bumper in, I had a local 4x4 shop order them, cant remember where they got them, but WLL is 6.5 tons, tested breaking strength is 85,000 lbs, I will rip my frame in half before I break these bad boys

Last edited by GreenYoda; 06-17-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:31 PM

here we go, this is where they got them

http://www.masterpull.com/item.cfm?itemid=47146
Old 06-17-2011, 08:52 PM

I like the direction of this build!! Lookin good. The idea of using coils on the SAS is different. I can't wait to see the final product. Keep up the good work
Old 06-18-2011, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Z's Confederate Toy
I like the direction of this build!! Lookin good. The idea of using coils on the SAS is different. I can't wait to see the final product. Keep up the good work
thanks, Im getting close, hopefully by the end of the week I'll have it finished, I really cant do anything major till I get my hi-steer arms.

tomorrow im just going to get everything cleaned up, re-inforce my brackets on the frame side.

Im having a hard time visualizing where im going to fit my shocks in, going to be close once I get the knuckles on.

I did get it aligned a bit better today, and tested out flex, probably going to have to have limit straps or maybe a bracket that comes down with a bump stop that limits my lower control arm from dropping to low, I'll have to play around with that once I get the shocks on.

I think the spring rate will probably be about perfect once I do the exo cage

Still dont have a track bar in yet to limit side to side movement of the axle, need to set up the drag link first

Old 06-18-2011, 07:12 PM

I jus noticed that you were over in Evergreen. Once you getter done and I get mine done we should wheel. Im over in Bailey.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Z's Confederate Toy
I jus noticed that you were over in Evergreen. Once you getter done and I get mine done we should wheel. Im over in Bailey.
werd

I will need to find some good trails close by, im sure it will break a few times and I will need a tow home (I work for a towing company)

although I do have a generator/welding setup I can put in the back, and im contemplating some extra heims/inserts and making an extra upper and lower control arm (all 4 will be the same length) although im starting to run low on funds, need to get rid of some of these good IFS parts and the extra set of wheels/tires I have
Old 06-18-2011, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by GreenYoda
werd

I will need to find some good trails close by, im sure it will break a few times and I will need a tow home (I work for a towing company)

although I do have a generator/welding setup I can put in the back, and im contemplating some extra heims/inserts and making an extra upper and lower control arm (all 4 will be the same length) although im starting to run low on funds, need to get rid of some of these good IFS parts and the extra set of wheels/tires I have
For sure. There are some good trails up near Idaho Spgs and Empire. I was suppoda go up there this weekend but Im still havin trouble figurin out whats up with my motor. But as soon as I getter all figured out I want to run some trails over there with of my buddies. Ya are welcome to tag along whenever.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:28 PM

yea, was just reading about your head gasket troubles, did you magnaflux the head/block to check for cracks?

http://www.magnaflux.com/ProductOver...6/Default.aspx
Old 06-18-2011, 07:38 PM

I might have to give that a try. Thx
Old 06-20-2011, 08:11 PM

Alright, got this IFS hubs on a solid axle thing figured out

pretty easy, used some vented rotors off a 81-90 FJ, tapped the caliper with a 9/16" tap, drilled out the threads on the knuckle

hopefully this thing will have wheels on it by the end of the week, then time to hack up the rear

Quick Reply: GreenYoda's 1995 4Runner Build-Up Thread