86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Delete roll-up window and replace with flip-up type on first-gen 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2020, 02:52 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 Fists
Update: I'm sorry to say my weather stripping is not fully sealing with the amount of rain we've been getting around here. Not a tonne of water getting in, but a little bit for sure. Will be looking into some other types of gasket, and I'm also toying with the idea of building some flashing to attach to the top of the canopy and overhang that top area that isn't quite sealing. Something similar to what the newer 4Runners come with, like in the pic. The sides seem to be fine, it's just the top where the water sits right on top of my gasket, it eventually seeps through.

I am looking at some of your previous pictures and I see some improvement you might want to consider.

The flat style foam you have used can be replaced with the same D channel stuff. The flat stuf doesn't make corners, which leaves that butt joint at the top for water to seep into also I think the flat stuff maybe open cell on the side (cut edges). If you can get the D shaped stuff to match up with the placement on the window you should get a better seal.

I'd also trim the window shape down some more. So it's profile matches the shape of the top better. You can see it bowing where it overlaps the fiberglass top on the top edge, which means you have a really good seal near the hinge but less so at the corners. This will also make the bottom edge easier to seal to the tailgate, but you'll have to find a new latching mechanism.

The cam style hold downs used in the old leer camper/tops would be my recommendation. They shouldn't be too hard to find we use them on everything practically .

.. Background I haven't found a donor top and glass for my rollover damage and had to revisit this idea of plexiglass window.. I'd really prefer glass even if it's a flip up just for scratch resistant and wiper wear.
Old 02-02-2020, 04:51 PM

Received 168 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Did you or do you have enough room to use double seal like I have in mind on post above?
That will likely be my next route once I get some more D shaped gasket.
Old 02-02-2020, 04:56 PM

Received 168 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
I am looking at some of your previous pictures and I see some improvement you might want to consider.

The flat style foam you have used can be replaced with the same D channel stuff. The flat stuf doesn't make corners, which leaves that butt joint at the top for water to seep into also I think the flat stuff maybe open cell on the side (cut edges). If you can get the D shaped stuff to match up with the placement on the window you should get a better seal.

I'd also trim the window shape down some more. So it's profile matches the shape of the top better. You can see it bowing where it overlaps the fiberglass top on the top edge, which means you have a really good seal near the hinge but less so at the corners. This will also make the bottom edge easier to seal to the tailgate, but you'll have to find a new latching mechanism.

The cam style hold downs used in the old leer camper/tops would be my recommendation. They shouldn't be too hard to find we use them on everything practically .

.. Background I haven't found a donor top and glass for my rollover damage and had to revisit this idea of plexiglass window.. I'd really prefer glass even if it's a flip up just for scratch resistant and wiper wear.
I did end up eliminating the flat foam gasket in favor of the 'D' shaped style, which definitely helped, but the size I originally used was slightly too thick, which created a rolling effect along the top edge when I closed the window, which comprised the seal. I have since replaced with a thinner 'D' shaped and that has helped for sure.

I will try to get a couple pictures of the compression of the gasket and the seal I'm getting now.

I do agree having the window shaped a little better to the opening would help.