86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

chukarhunt's 1992 "Jake" Pickup Build-up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rustEDyota83
Nice work on the bed/light bar, it turned out really good! I like the Glow Shift gauges too, I was just looking at those yesterday, thinking about getting some for my 4 runner, nice work so far!
Thanks rustEDyota83, I appreciate the feedback! I hope to redo the welds on the bars so they don't look as bad, then I can just do a hammered spray paint job to keep it cheap.

The other reason I love the glowshift gauges is when you turn the ignition on, they do the sweeping motion to calibrate themselves like the cadillacs and high end cars do as well, so it is fun to watch lol (I am easily entertained).

Now, question... because this is a build thread, and there are many different topics that go on, should I post the light bar build in the fab shop section as well, just like an engine swap would go in the engine swap section, or are there rules to cross-threading on here? I know not everyone reads build threads, just wondering about posting the same thing in different sections.

Thanks guys!
Old 04-08-2014, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by chukarhunt
I hope I covered everything. Mounting the Air filter/AFM is up to you, but I suggest protecting the filter from water using a covering of sorts, but to each its own. I used the stock air box locations to mount to.

Hope this helps.
yes you covered every thing i wanted to know. when you say more power is it a lot and where is it? will it help with playing on rocks (i like to stall alot or ride the clutch)
Old 04-08-2014, 04:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks rustEDyota83, I appreciate the feedback! I hope to redo the welds on the bars so they don't look as bad, then I can just do a hammered spray paint job to keep it cheap.

The other reason I love the glowshift gauges is when you turn the ignition on, they do the sweeping motion to calibrate themselves like the cadillacs and high end cars do as well, so it is fun to watch lol (I am easily entertained).

Now, question... because this is a build thread, and there are many different topics that go on, should I post the light bar build in the fab shop section as well, just like an engine swap would go in the engine swap section, or are there rules to cross-threading on here? I know not everyone reads build threads, just wondering about posting the same thing in different sections.

Thanks guys!
That's sounds cool, about the Glow Shift gauges, I'm easily entertained as well, lol. I was wanting to do the SR5 gauge cluster swap so I could upgrade from the idiot lights and get a tach all in one, but they want so much for them, I figured I might go this route instead with the oil pressure, water temp, and volts guges and mount them in one of those A-pillar gauge pods.

Your question on posting up your light bar on the Fab Shop forum, I don't see why not, like you mentioned, not everyone looks at the buildup forums, I don't think there are any rules about cross-threading. I know Redeth posted on both forums with his front bumper build, and I did with my lock box/storage console ....which reminds me I need to update that, lol.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jakesr5
yes you covered every thing i wanted to know. when you say more power is it a lot and where is it? will it help with playing on rocks (i like to stall alot or ride the clutch)
Well, any little bit helps, but down low, like right off the bat, I would almost consider it negligible. This helps anywhere from 1800 to 3000 rpm in my opinion, from what I have noticed the past couple days. I will post a video soon of some take offs and highway merging and you and everyone can judge for yourself what it is like.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by rustEDyota83
That's sounds cool, about the Glow Shift gauges, I'm easily entertained as well, lol. I was wanting to do the SR5 gauge cluster swap so I could upgrade from the idiot lights and get a tach all in one, but they want so much for them, I figured I might go this route instead with the oil pressure, water temp, and volts guges and mount them in one of those A-pillar gauge pods.

Your question on posting up your light bar on the Fab Shop forum, I don't see why not, like you mentioned, not everyone looks at the buildup forums, I don't think there are any rules about cross-threading. I know Redeth posted on both forums with his front bumper build, and I did with my lock box/storage console ....which reminds me I need to update that, lol.
Thanks for the feedback! I suppose I will post it over there and see if anyone there with real fab skills can give any input on design and future mods/additions to it.

Also, the A-pillar is the way to go. I bought one of glowshifts cheap dashmount pods, and it is ridiculously bulky, I can't fit it anywhere. Gonna have to return it.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:05 PM

Well, any little bit helps, but down low, like right off the bat, I would almost consider it negligible. This helps anywhere from 1800 to 3000 rpm in my opinion, from what I have noticed the past couple days. I will post a video soon of some take offs and highway merging and you and everyone can judge for yourself what it is like.

all right that sounds great, thank you.

and when you say light bar are you talking about one for the bed rack roll bar?
if so any idea how you are mounting it?
Old 04-14-2014, 08:25 AM

Jake, Not sure yet what I will do, but ya it will be for the bed roll bar. I will most likely weld on some flat bar for the light to mount on, since I don't want to drill into the pipe and create openings for water to get into.

A quick update. Last week the wife and I spotted a pretty nice rig for sale. We have been needing another reliable rig since my fleet of vehicles are fairly old. Own 7, only which now 4 are operational, soon to get rid of a couple.

Name:  20140410_172521_zpsc3153572.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  42.1 KB
Picked up this 96 suburban for $3750. 118,000 miles, new engine put in 10,000 miles ago. Very clean, and very straight. We couldn't pass it up, especially since we need a family rig that can tow. Now that I have this, my Yota can do down for longer times for cooler upgrades.

Name:  IMG_20130428_152409_365_zps71025175.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  42.5 KB
And I also have this guy I want to get running. 1953 Chevy truck. Given to me by my Great Uncle, been in the family for 90% of its life, so it was truly an honored gift to receive. I can't believe how solid it is for sitting in California for 30 years.

I know this isn't Toyota, but it does slow down my build. Not totally, mind you. I have a fun part coming in the mail, hopefully soon, that will take the truck to the next level. Was able to purchase it before funds went to the burb!

I also have a few fun projects in mind that are relatively cheap, so we will see it all comes along. Hope everyone had a great weekend!
Old 04-14-2014, 06:43 PM

I like the truck Chuckarhunt. I had a great weekend, you.

Oh and what is it what is it. Is it engine swap time haha
And you can never have enough vehicles. Ever

Jake,
Old 04-14-2014, 09:42 PM

Thanks Jake! It was a good weekend, got to spend some time at a baby shower, getting ready for a second nephew.

I hear ya on the vehicles. The other car to get running is my wife's 1987 Gran Fury. Needs a trans and steering work done, other than that a good running car.

Well, an engine swap... lol... I am thinking the burb would be sitting pretty nice with a Cummins and 4l80e trans... If only I can convince the wife.

one of the fun projects for Jake (oddly enough, jakesr5, the name I gave my truck when I bought it) I have in mind may need me to learn to weld aluminum, still looking at the details though.

Question... do mufflers, like this thrush, have a break in period? Every time I drive the yota it just sounds better and better. Not quite throaty like a v8, but it is getting there it seems. Maybe it is my imagination. ..

Last edited by chukarhunt; 04-14-2014 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:23 AM

Thanks Jake! It was a good weekend, got to spend some time at a baby shower, getting ready for a second nephew.

I hear ya on the vehicles. The other car to get running is my wife's 1987 Gran Fury. Needs a trans and steering work done, other than that a good running car.

Well, an engine swap... lol... I am thinking the burb would be sitting pretty nice with a Cummins and 4l80e trans... If only I can convince the wife. ..
Good to hear your weekend was good. Yah a cummins sounds really good once you finish yours we can trade and you can do it to mine
Old 04-15-2014, 08:08 AM

Haha, I charge labor, six pack a day... It is supposed to basically be a drop in for these chevys. Given the new 350 in it, I am sure I could turn around and sell it to make up the cost of the diesel. Oh well, someday hopefully when the wife gets sick of the fuel mileage.

Anyway, I am going to hopefully start on fabbing the bed rails for the hi lift this weekend, only if I can find cheap square tubing. Going to be A LOT of grinding...

I also picked up some free FJ80 rear coils, if I can get heims and DOM tubing for a good price, going to 3 link the rear and bag it, cause this zuk mod ruins my off road ride.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:40 AM

That's not fair linking the back then that will make me want to change it all over again. Oh any yay my buddy the angle grinder I will be fabing mounts to this weekend if I find time so we need to see who has the most fun less amount of scars
Old 04-15-2014, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jakesr5
Oh any yay my buddy the angle grinder I will be fabing mounts to this weekend if I find time so we need to see who has the most fun less amount of scars
You are on.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:02 PM

You are on.
All right when do we start
Old 04-16-2014, 04:27 PM

Haha, well, I don't know about you, but my weekend starts every Friday ( I love my 4-10s)
Old 04-16-2014, 06:14 PM

well i got started tonight one because i had nothing better to do and two friday is senior ditch day and we are going to take advantage of that and go wheeling so i whould like to have a mount for the high lift. ill post on mine as to not hi-jack yours.

jake,
Old 04-18-2014, 05:26 AM

Roll bar/light bar is rockin. Looks great. Motivating me to get started on my modified ranch hand for the 4 runner...
Old 04-18-2014, 04:52 PM

Electric Locker

Thanks rjfortuna! I still have a few things to do to it, but it is coming along. I want to see this bumper! Sounds awesome!

Well I didn't get around to working on the bed rack, but!!!

Something came in the mail today...
What could this be? The camo duck tape is a nice touch
Name:  2014-04-18-17-41-18_zpsnwlt26v5.png
Views: 219
Size:  1.04 MB

Good packaging by my standards
Name:  20140418_160424_zpsxvkn6zj5.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  87.6 KB

MUAHAHAHAHA!!! An Elocker!! I am ready to own the trails!
Name:  20140418_160528_zps7mo9q0am.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  75.7 KB

Thanks goes out to KillerB!! You are da man! I couldn't pass this deal up. Factory switch and harness are on their way too. out of a 200something tacoma with only 50,000 miles.

This will go in soon... real soon.... just not this weekend.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I like seeing your 53. I had a 49 GMC. They put some metal in those trucks back then. Didn't have to worry about hail damage on those. Simple little motors as well. That has in it what I believe they call the Stove bolt motor. At 50 mph they sound like a jet engine going down the road as back then the roads weren't straight enough to get up to speeds like we have now a days.

Does any gear head ever have enough projects to work on? It is a never ending cycle. Beats sitting on the couch though.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:22 AM

Thanks Terry! I am glad someone else on here can relate to the Chevy. Stove bolt? First time I have heard that lol, but it sounds like those were good times. I got it fired once, but it wouldn't run on its own, has a really bad intake leak somewhere. My uncle had swapped the 215 for the 235, so at least it is oil pressured. I just bought an engine stand so hopefully I can work on it here soon, it the Toyota doesn't end up taking all my time. Fortunately the wife is urging me to finish the Chevy due to worsening rust. Priorities I tell ya.

And ya, the couch just makes the beer belly worse. That on top of the desk job, I don't mind being out in the garage.

Quick Reply: chukarhunt's 1992 "Jake" Pickup Build-up Thread