86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

bm87runner's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 12:55 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-11-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:00 PM

There ya go.... it's the "IMG Thumb" link.... then click on the lil mountain (Insert Image) icon, above the text box, here, and paste it into that, then click ok, voila, done.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:01 PM

Great video.... so what's 5 and 11? Don't have my book in front of me.. Think 11 is AFM, 5 is maybe Coolant Temp Sensor? Probably totally misremembering! hahaha. It's in the Haynes... If you don't have it before too long, I'll find it for ya. Just really busy catching up here, back at work! Meh! lol.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sweet thanks chef. only youtube makes it to where you can watch the videos on a thread? and its in the hanes book? ill grab it out of the garage and see what i can find
Old 08-11-2011, 02:11 PM

No, I went to your link, copied the code to the right that I told you, then pasted it how I said. It's a Photobucket video, above^^^. It shows up like a pic, though.... I prefer Youtube as it's unlimited space and it shows a 'PLAY >' arrow so it's not mistaken as a photo.

Far as the Haynes... yes, in the "Emissions" section, for some reason, is where all the codes/year specific/ are located. Ours are 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... on through 14 I think.... The years after us, 88 and up I believe, are 22, 54, etc., like so. Yours is like mine, exactly, ....so it will be 85 or 86-87 I believe. You'll see it, .... then track it down and post up what it says. Then, clear the codes like I told you, start it up again and run it as long as you can, see if the light shows up, and then read the codes again, k? The ones you have stored might be from disconnecting said items after the battery was hooked up when you installed, understand?

Best wishes, bbl8r 2nit!
Old 08-11-2011, 03:39 PM

tell your lady I says hai :p
Old 08-11-2011, 06:01 PM

haha dam your hilarious....
so i checked my manual for the codes this is what it says

5 blinks............oxygen sensor signal .........1)sensor circuit
2)sensor
3)computer
.................................................. ................
.................................................. ....................
.................................................. .....................
11 blinks........ switch signal ................. 1)ac switch
2)throttle position sensor circuit
3)throttle position sensor
4)computer
Old 08-11-2011, 06:05 PM

you mean you didn't say hi??

Man I wish i could contribute to your codes but my truck hasn't thrown any yet...

And all the cars i work on have OBII and toyota/lexus laptops... can you find the spot where i plug that in? If so I'll be right over :p
Old 08-11-2011, 08:32 PM

Hey Brandon.....

..............I remember someone guessing TPS right off the bat.... OH YEAH! lol.

JK, .... 02 issues can wreak havoc as well!

So, .... NOW, .... you gonna do what I suggested? Clear the codes, then try again?

PS> On a side note..... I believe that the 02 and TPS are tied together in a few ways by the way the 02 signal/readings get the TPS to crank it up or down. Could just be the 02 biting the bullet. There is a test for that 02 sensor, also through the diagnostic port.... You basically hook it up with a dial type multi meter on the OX and E1(?) .... it's in the book as well.... and if it fluctuates between a certain reading 8 times every 10 seconds, ....the 02 is working properly. If it doesn't, ....well, ...yeah, lol.

The TPS is also fairly simple to 'test'.... (lil more work to remove the throttle body and 'adjust' the TPS on the bench... but well worth it if it's reading really wonky)

Question;

*** Did you clean the throttle body out with the TPS still attached? (spraying all kinds of cleaner in there).

*** Did you remove the TPS during your rebuild process?( if you did, did you adjust it properly after re-installation?)
Old 08-11-2011, 08:36 PM

OH, btw, .....she's freakin cute as heck..... What'd you expect? lol. In all seriousness.... Happy you found a good lady! (one that loves the wheels, nonetheless, eh? )
Old 08-12-2011, 12:26 PM

okay so i just took out that fuse in the kick panel and drove it about 14 miles or so, no engine light.... but my battery was taken out of my truck long before i even started tearing my old engine out. as far as the throttle body, my memory is a little bad... i seperated the tb and intake and just cleaned the intake, the only thing i might have done to the tb is clean the gold circle thing. i didnt spray anyy cleaner in there or remove the tps. but i did notice the clip to the tps is gone, i unhooked it while the truck was running and it didnt idle up any more. (because its broken??? it should idle up more from disconnecting the tps right?)

and yeah i know haha she wants her own 4 door tacoma short bed , but no one wants to sell theirs.... i guess i just got to peice one together

Last edited by bm87runner; 08-12-2011 at 12:31 PM. Reason: add to (because its broken???
Old 08-12-2011, 12:32 PM

oh yeah and this was so retarded of me to do...... instead of learning how to take the injectors out and get them serviced i left them in :/ that could effect my loss of power couldnt it. cause it feels like its running on only 2 cylinders and idles at 2 grand i hope the idle problem is just something tiny like that but im really concerned about the massive loss of power
Old 08-12-2011, 12:33 PM

and i guess ill say hi for you...... but thats it :ppp

i wish i had a toyota laptop to tell me everything thats wrong
Old 08-12-2011, 12:46 PM

yessss
and again I'm not helping at all.. but these laptops are epic! They're called Techstreams.. they're kinda slow... We're supposed to get a new generation soon.. but still.. it will do a full health check all the way down to tire pressure... then if theres a code you click it, and it will give you the freeze frame data.. and can use the laptop to look up how to figure out what threw the code...
Old 08-12-2011, 01:02 PM

its all good, any input is nice to have....
but that laptop thing would sound like an awesome little thing to have, they work for all models or what? ill look into one some day..

ughghghghghghghghghg my bumper needs to get here soon ordered it like a month ago
Old 08-12-2011, 01:12 PM

anything with OBDII... it has a generic scanner.. but its made for toyota/scion/lexus

I was gonna ask what kind of bumper but I'm sure it's in this thread somewhere.. gotta do my research.
Old 08-12-2011, 01:14 PM
Contributing Member

Welcome to YotaTech!

Looks like you are already better off mechanically than the majority of newbies that come on here so cheers to you for that.

Good luck with the rig and I look forward to watching the build.

Fink
Old 08-12-2011, 04:02 PM

Hey Brandon,

Hmmmmm, c'mere...... SMACK! lol. Yes, shoulda, coulda, woulda....> hind sight is always 20/20, etc., blah blah... NO WAY will I do that to ya... but yes, woulda been good to have had them cleaned.... you were right there and already spending plenty of cabbage, right? Live and learn....s'all good... But YES, AS WELL, to "that might be an issue". I doubt it though.... Did you get some power back with the TPS disconnected? (and yes, it should idle up a lil when you pull the connector off...... and yes, it's either toast or needs adjusting badly).

I would test the TPS first. READ, CAREFULLY, the 4crawler cheap tricks TPS page. ok? Then See how off it is in the readings.

Far as pulling the fuse, then driving... It wont drive without that fuse, so I wont ask that silly question... But I would just say, for now, drive it without the TPS unhooked until you can order one from dealerdirectparts.com,>>> IF You CAN'T adjust it into specs/within reason, ok? Some people might even have one they can sell ya on the cheap, ya know? But I think at that sight you can get new for like 50$, OEM.

And "No engine light"..... YET! Right? Maybe by the next time you post we'll hear more. Obviously, if your TPS is malfunctioning/out of adjustment that bad, ...you're not going to get a resolution until you get it adjusted/replaced.

As far as the 02 code... if it comes back, go to denso.com or whatever these guys use..you can get it there for like 30$.. rather than 120$ at the dealer, ya know?(of course, you could test it first). Sounds like either something is making things really rich and your 02 didn't like that...(something like a REALLY off or bad TPS could cause major drama with the fuel system).... OR, the ECU is wonky, or the TPS made the O2 wonky, or the Injectors, ..... ya see where I'm going? Rule things out as the FSM lays them out, and you wont chase your tail AS MUCH, ok? lol.

FSM would have something like a family tree. It works on one thing, then if it's ok, move to the right, if that's not ok, move down.... eventually it will lead you, MOST OFTEN, to the problem. Problem with that is, it might say, "At this step you need to noid test the injectors, have them serviced, etc., etc., etc.,>>>" GREAAAAAAT, .... if you have a few hours to yoink them out if need be, right? hahaha. So yes, just follow the troubleshooting portion in the EFI section of the FSM for our rig... and start ruling out/testing stuffs.... you'll find it. Rule a few things out before yoinking the plenum to get the injectors serviced.

PS> do you have a CAT? If so, ..... is it possible that it's REALLY clogged up?

PSS> Seeming like it's running on 2 cyls.... my guess is still, as from the beginning, ...TPS.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:53 PM

thank you fink, i appreciate it
homie

haha ill take that smack..... i know i should have done them... its not like i never read your thread or anything..

the first time, i had the truck running then opened the hood and disconnected the tps.... nothing

second time i disconnected it before starting it, drove around the block. no i didnt get too much power back but it did feel a little better driving...(not so much like i feel like im gonna blow up or something)

and still no engine light, i think no matter what they both need to be replaced being that their 25 years old but i will still check up on that thread... but i need a multimeter right? i dont have one.... my step dad is a landscaper not a mechanic haha but if autozone has one for cheap ill buy one but for now i cant really test anything

and ill have to look for that tree diagnosis you were talking about, but the fsm is like 20,000 pages long haha right?

and no i dont have a cat :p i have to get the home boy to get me a smog every year.... shhhhh! haha
blake

well since my thread is sadly, barely 2 pages, it wont be hard to find

thanks guys
brandon
Old 08-12-2011, 04:58 PM

interesting... looks vaguely familiar :p

Quick Reply: bm87runner's 1987 4Runner Build-Up Thread