86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

1991 Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 Toyota SR5 4x4 Xtra Cab

I just purchased a 1991 Toyota V6 4x4 Xtra Cab SR5 with 166,000 miles on it and am wondering if there are any changes that need to be made when it has barely been touched mechnixally. There is a little leaking coming from the back of the engine which needs a looking at. Also any cosmetic changes that could be done to make te truck look better or approve upon the peeling of clearcoat on the hood and doors, there is also little to no noticeable rust

Last edited by Robojd1; 07-17-2015 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:28 AM

Here are a few more pictures

Sorry for the low quality pictures

Location of the mysterious Leak

Front view with the skid plate removed
Old 07-17-2015, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Robojd1
Here are a few more pictures

Sorry for the low quality pictures

Location of the mysterious Leak

Front view with the skid plate removed
Hey Robojd, welcome to the forms. Nice truck you have there as well, I have a 1990 4runner, same engine, tires & style.

Regarding the oil leak you posted, that is most likely the Rear Main Seal where the transmission connects to the engine. You have to pull the transmission to fix that. Otherwise if its just dripping and if you check your oil regularly, you dont need to worry. I had the same thing on mine and it just dripped.

As for parts to change, are there any issues currently like play in the steering, rough idle?
Old 07-17-2015, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Janos01
Hey Robojd, welcome to the forms. Nice truck you have there as well, I have a 1990 4runner, same engine, tires & style.

Regarding the oil leak you posted, that is most likely the Rear Main Seal where the transmission connects to the engine. You have to pull the transmission to fix that. Otherwise if its just dripping and if you check your oil regularly, you dont need to worry. I had the same thing on mine and it just dripped.

As for parts to change, are there any issues currently like play in the steering, rough idle?
Steering has been quiet good to me other than squeking a lot when I turn or bounce, but the idle has been confusing as it has been up to 1500 at point and sounding rough and been down to 3-500 and constantly dying before I can pull it out of my driveway so I need to continually start it till I get up to a good speed.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:29 PM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
Looks to me like that oil might well be coming from higher up on the engine.

Look to the valve covers and rear cam plugs.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by millball
Looks to me like that oil might well be coming from higher up on the engine.

Look to the valve covers and rear cam plugs.
Thanks for the input, i do need new valve covers/gasket i noticed and the cam plugs seem to be leaking a little but not the main leak.
Old 07-17-2015, 09:19 PM

What would you guys in the forums recommend for shocks/struts(whichever) as i still have the originals installed and they are shot. Also any other exterior things i should do, looking for good spotlights/offroad lights aswell as a bullbar or roll cage to mount them on. Please add input as to any upgrades
Old 07-18-2015, 05:09 AM

Awesome truck and what looks to be in great condition! I have a reg cab dlx and sometimes wish I had an extended cab for some extra room.

What would you guys in the forums recommend for shocks/struts(whichever) as i still have the originals installed and they are shot.
I can't give alot of advice here but alot of people put on bilstein 5100's. When I first got my 91 in 2003, they had trailmaster shocks as well as what I assumed were stock leafs with blocks for the lift. One of the leafs snapped in the bundle so I bought skyjacker 3" lifted springs to get rid of the blocks as well as a set of procomp es3000 shocks. 4wheelparts had a sale going on and I was an E2 in the military at the time so I didn't have alot of disposable income.

I don't know if it was the shocks or the springs but I regretted swapping them out as soon as I started driving around. Rode like a dang horse buggy afterward. Needless to say I'm throwing away my ES3000 shocks and won't ever buy them again. I decided to try Rancho and went with their RS9000XL. I also canned my skyjacker lifted springs and bought some OME CS019R springs.

Keep in mind this is *my* experience. I can't tell you anything on ride quality yet because I'm currently in the process of rebuilding mine... Not sure if this helps but good luck!
Old 07-18-2015, 06:21 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
3.0 V6 are known for head gasket issues, might wanna check your compression and take the VIN to the dealer to see if the recall was done
150k'ish is about when they like to pop
Old 07-18-2015, 09:04 AM

What would you guys think would be cause to all the noise, when im turning sharply or bouncing on bumps or any slight bounce, it bothers me almost as much as my loud screeching breaks.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:05 AM

Nice looking truck. I've got a 1993 3.slow 4x4 dlx reg-cab and I'm envious of the room on yours.

It's funny because the underside of yours looks like a pic of the underside of mine EXACTLY. Same wetness and leaks. It's likely a bit of the rear main, cam and the valve covers. If it's just a drip here and there, leave it. If you're a stud, you can rip it apart to do the rear main and you may as well do the clutch while you're in there and the head gasket with QUALITY parts. Mine is at 124,000 miles and I've done the head gasket twice! Once on recall at 37k and again at 74k because they used crap gaskets. Make sure you have Toyota red coolant in the rad. Drain, flush and replace any green as it is chemically different than red and these motors don't like it.

I second the Rancho shocks. I've got rancho 500 pros. They're over 10 years old and tight as can be for 70 MPH on the freeway and soft enough for light off-roading, camping and pissing off my wife driving over curbs.

Clean your sensors if you dare. Egr valve, EGR modulator, VSV and TVV sensor. Truck will thank you.
You may want to run a complete fuel system and injector clean through it if it's been sitting or neglected.

All in all, nice rig. Dont let the fear mongers tell you the 3VZE is a dog. It's underpowered, takes mods poorly, can't tow for sh¡t, has dreadful mileage, but if cared for can last the same as a 22re.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Colington
Nice looking truck. I've got a 1993 3.slow 4x4 dlx reg-cab and I'm envious of the room on yours.

It's funny because the underside of yours looks like a pic of the underside of mine EXACTLY. Same wetness and leaks. It's likely a bit of the rear main, cam and the valve covers. If it's just a drip here and there, leave it. If you're a stud, you can rip it apart to do the rear main and you may as well do the clutch while you're in there and the head gasket with QUALITY parts. Mine is at 124,000 miles and I've done the head gasket twice! Once on recall at 37k and again at 74k because they used crap gaskets. Make sure you have Toyota red coolant in the rad. Drain, flush and replace any green as it is chemically different than red and these motors don't like it.

I second the Rancho shocks. I've got rancho 500 pros. They're over 10 years old and tight as can be for 70 MPH on the freeway and soft enough for light off-roading, camping and pissing off my wife driving over curbs.

Clean your sensors if you dare. Egr valve, EGR modulator, VSV and TVV sensor. Truck will thank you.
You may want to run a complete fuel system and injector clean through it if it's been sitting or neglected.

All in all, nice rig. Dont let the fear mongers tell you the 3VZE is a dog. It's underpowered, takes mods poorly, can't tow for sh¡t, has dreadful mileage, but if cared for can last the same as a 22re.
Any input on squeking, or shocks that will be used more on country roads. ALSO what was the recall on and know any good bull bars or what size bolts i need for my skid plate. Thanks
Old 07-18-2015, 03:00 PM

Any input on squeking, or shocks that will be used more on country roads. ALSO what was the recall on and know any good bull bars or what size bolts i need for my skid plate. Thanks
Go with a Bilstein setup on the shocks if you're on country roads. As for the bolts, just get a few bulk nuts n bolts from the hardware store and pop them in. Chances are you'll break them anyways
Old 07-18-2015, 04:01 PM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
squeaking when bouncing/ turning can be bad ball joints. If its a loud metal on metal noise its the ball joints. Check into it asap, a broken ball joint is bad.
Old 07-18-2015, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by superex87
squeaking when bouncing/ turning can be bad ball joints. If its a loud metal on metal noise its the ball joints. Check into it asap, a broken ball joint is bad.
How can i check
Old 07-18-2015, 08:11 PM

The squeaking is more than likely your steering stops if the squeak is happening at full lock. If you look at your steering stops you will probably see the rubber cap has worn down to the metal. Throw some grease on it or get some new steering stop caps like these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/86-95-Toyota-Pickup-86-95-4Runner-all-T-100-Steering-Stop-Groan-Stopper-/181764132927?fits=Make%3AToyota&hash=item2a51fc903f&vxp=mtr
I would just grease mine every couple of months.

If its your ball joint you can lift the front end up and check the wheel for play. Try and wiggle it and see if it has any play in it. Sometimes you can visually inspect the boot and see a tear. But I am betting its your steering stops.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by wberry85
The squeaking is more than likely your steering stops if the squeak is happening at full lock. If you look at your steering stops you will probably see the rubber cap has worn down to the metal. Throw some grease on it or get some new steering stop caps like these:

86 95 Toyota Pickup 86 95 4Runner All T 100 Steering Stop Groan Stopper | eBay

I would just grease mine every couple of months.

If its your ball joint you can lift the front end up and check the wheel for play. Try and wiggle it and see if it has any play in it. Sometimes you can visually inspect the boot and see a tear. But I am betting its your steering stops.
The steering stops do make noise when you staraighten out your tired but that not what the sound is.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:30 AM

Installed K&N air filter

New cap because the old one had holes and looked like it went a couple rounds with a hammer

Last edited by Robojd1; 07-20-2015 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:36 PM

Idk what your plans are on it I've got a 87 hilux 22r 4x4 and I love the ride I get with my skyjacker shocks... Only thing is I have BFG mud graps and they make waaaay too much noise 😂😂 don't get those tires whatever you do
Old 07-20-2015, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by D.B.T. 87 4x4
Idk what your plans are on it I've got a 87 hilux 22r 4x4 and I love the ride I get with my skyjacker shocks... Only thing is I have BFG mud graps and they make waaaay too much noise 😂😂 don't get those tires whatever you do
I want to do a complete engine tune up , fix the problems, add nice shocks, new seat covers and steering wheel cover, add a push bar if i can find a good on(mount spot lights and light bar) just want to keep the engine in good shape, it will idle at like 3-500 and go up and down and then die and i dont know how to fix that and sometime it just doesnt sound right.

Quick Reply: 1991 Toyota