84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Volcom's 1984 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volcom's 1984 4Runner Build-Up Thread

I've had quite a few people ask me about my buildup so I thought I'd cut and paste my buildup thread here on YT.

7/7/2005
My 84 4Runner I bought for $400

These are what it looks like right now. I have gotten the back window to open and close which is a great thing. These 1st Gen 4Runner's tend to have back window problems.

The tires it has on it now are 32's. One is completely flat in a day or two. The wheels are kinda ugly. But, I've got the stock set of 5 chrome wheels 15*6's with tires as well. I'm going to try and sell both sets of wheels and tires to buy some black steel wheels and weld on bead locks in the future.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:42 PM

7/16/05
Anybody know how to check to see if a motor is hydro'ed? I pulled the dipstick and the oil was black but no signs of water. My dad and I pulled the first spark plug and it looked great as well, no signs of hydro. The coolant looks fine, nice and green, in the raditor. We haven't tried to turn the motor over yet since the guy I bought it from said it runs barely and really rough. I didn't really want to ruin anything like the crank if it was hydro'ed. Any ideas???
Old 01-13-2009, 06:42 PM

7/24/05

Well, my dad and I got it started yesterday. The starter is bad in it. I took the started off of my truck and my dad put it in the 4Runner. She sounds like a trainwreck! This thing sounds like 100,000 ball bearings dumped inside and then started. It clanks really loud on every revolution. Were guessing a bend rod. Anybody ever deal with a bend rod? Looks like we're rebuilding the 22R. I'm going to try and get a spare block from a friend of mine and have it machined and ready to go before I'm ready to work on it.

On the positive note, my dad was impressed that it even ran! Gotta love the bombproof 22R and 22RE engines from Toyota!
Old 01-13-2009, 06:43 PM

9/6/05

Well, I'm picking up a supercharger for a 22R today A family friend has one sitting at his shop in a box for 4-5 years, just collection dust. I told him about me building up a rockcrawler and told him what and he said he's got just the thing for it. I'm back to thinking about running propane with the supercharger. They just seem to go hand in hand. Pics will be coming soon
Old 01-13-2009, 06:44 PM

9/7/05

Old 01-13-2009, 06:45 PM

9/22/05
Thanks to my brother picking them up for me, I've got me some steel wheels for the 4Runner. 15x10's with 2.5 inches of backspacing. They should kick the wheels and tires out quite a bit.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:45 PM

10/5/05

WoooooHoooooooooo, my parents for my brithday bought me some Marlin Crawler rocksliders I'll need to weld them on and get them painted. Pics to come soon!
Old 01-13-2009, 06:46 PM

12/1/05

[wu tang]The saga continues......[/wu tang]

I just bought ANOTHER Toyota at lunch today It's an 85 4Runner with a solid front axle and the 22RE EFI engine. Granted it has 250K on it and the engine needs rebuilt, I got it for $375!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can totally part it out after I take what I need from it (engine, harness, gas tank, fuel lines, interior pieces) and probably sell everything for more than $375

Yes, I now have three Toyota with only one of them running
Old 01-13-2009, 06:47 PM

12/12/05

Nice and Ugly
Old 01-13-2009, 06:48 PM

12/13/05

Everybody's been asking why I don't just buildup this 85, that way I wouldn't have to swap engines and stuff. I bought this 4Runner with a salvage title. It was hit in the back on the corner pretty good. You can see the rust and nasty bondo work in the 2nd picture right behind the rear wheel. I don't know how much of that impact went into the frame and possibly tweaked the frame a bit. Also, the guy ran into somebody on the street flipping a U'e right in front of him. If you look behind the front fenders before they meet the doors, they are both pushed back. I don't really trust this one to drive down the road straight. It would be a perfect trailer queen though (after my current project)
Old 01-13-2009, 06:49 PM

1/16/06

Update: I am going to order up a short block for the 85 22RE. The plan is to yank both motors out of the 4Runners and swap parts. Basically, everything from the 85 engine wise is going into the 84 and everything from the 84 is going into the 85. The short block will run me $650. I will need to have the head checked out and then I can start building up the short block. Should be fun
Old 01-13-2009, 06:49 PM

12/25/06

Here's the parts truck, 85 4Runner

Here's the nasty interior. I plan on using this dash since it's better than the one in the 84. I've got to remove the dashes anyways to get to the wiring harness, I might as well use what looks better

Notice the nice seat with part of the metal frame sticking out. Imagine getting in an accident with that piece of metal in your back :cry:

Factory cruise??? The unit looks aftermarket but the control inside looks factory.

Some engine shots. I need to mark each and very one of these vacuum lines.

And last but not least, short block pictures.

The short block is on an engine stand, ready to be built. My buddy Joe is going to swap me heads. He has one that has 140K on it and mine has 260K.

More to come
Old 01-13-2009, 06:50 PM

2/14/06

I got the head taken apart last night and all the valve assembly out and in seperate baggies. My dad and I scraped some old gasket off of the head and put it in the parts washer overnight to soak it.

I need to get on the internet and order me up a new cam, head bolts, and a water pump. That should get me by to get the engine reassembled. Once it's ready, I'll need to buy all new heater hoses, radiator hoses, belts, etc. Should be fun.

Valve spring removal. The clamp presses the valve spring in just enough to remove the valve keeper. One end presses on the top of the valve and the other presses on the spring.

Backside of tool. Notice how dirty the head is in these pictures.

Spring compressed and keeper removed.

Intake valves and valve springs. They just need cleaned up and they are good to go. With 140K on them, they looked great.

Close-up of valve. It's got some build up on it but should clean up nicely.

Rock head gasket. I was afraid it was a fel-pro gasket. I've heard quite a few people having trouble with the fel-pro head gaskets on the 22RE's.

Here's the head after being drown in solvent for 24 hours I'm still working on getting the intake gasket off of the head. It's stuck on there good.

Backside of head and the gasket remover snot, trying to get that gasket off.

Hopefully I can get the head glass-beaded this weekend to get it cleaned up as good as new.

Last edited by Volcom; 01-13-2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:52 PM

2/19/06

I worked on cleaning up the head and valves today. I took them to my granddad's shop. He's got a glass beading machine. I glass beaded all eight valves and started on the head. I didn't get any pics of the valves but boy do they clean up nice after getting hit with some glass

The intake valves look great but the exhaust valves had some pitting around the area where they seal to the head. I plan on running all the valves through a valve grinder (he's got one of those as well. This man has every tool ever made. ) I started on the head but ran outta time. I still have about 1-2 more hours of beading to get it fully cleaned. Here's some pics from today

In the glass beading machine

Looking better, it's amazing how clean you can get parts by glass beading them
Old 01-13-2009, 06:53 PM

2/27/06

I worked on the head and valves again last night with my uncle. I took the head to the car wash and attempted to get all the glass beads out of it as well as the glass dust. Totally got wet in the process trying to spray out all the little water jackets and ports

We wanted to see if the head was warped so we decieded to Plasticgage the top of the camshaft. I've never done that before. Everything measured out fine. One thing that my uncle noticed was 7 out of the 8 valve guides had worked there way out. They were not seated against the little clip. So we are going to have to put it in the oven at @ 200 degrees and pound the valve guides down.

I also got the other 7 valves grinded and cleaned up.

I got my package from engnbldr with my new camshaft and head bolts!
Old 01-13-2009, 06:53 PM

3/6/06

Worked on the head again for 2 hours on Sunday with my uncle. We checked the head for straightness with a straight edge and it checked out. It still might needed milled to clean up the headgasket area, there are some marks and gouges in it. We also did a 3 angle valve job on one exhaust valve seat. We need to place the head into an oven and get it to 200 degrees to pound the valve guides back down into the head. Then we can 3 angle the other 7 seats.

I ordered a water pump two nights ago and plan on ordering an Exedy clutch after work tonight.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:54 PM

3/12/06

OK, it's now an offical buildup! I finally got one of the 4Runner's in an actual garage and actually turned a wrench on it!

Sautrday
We decided to work on the 84. We took the tranny and t-case out of it. We also unhooked and labeled the connectors, hoses, and vacuum lines.

End of the day shot

G-52 tranny and forward shift t-case

Everything is marked and unhooked. We fought with one stupid wiring harness connector for at least 30 minutes. We never got it unhooked until Sunday with a pair of wire cutters

The stuff we took off to pull the motor on Sunday
Old 01-13-2009, 06:55 PM

Sunday 3-12-06

Motor pulling time! We cut one wiring harness connector (I'll have to now have 4 little connectors rather than one) and 4 motor mount bolts.

Motor unhooked and being lifted. We found out later that the hoist wasn't tall enough and I had to take the front tire off, and lower the jack down to get the engine out.

My little spectator and 11 month old daughter

Engine shot

It's out

Anybody want to buy a semi dead 22R? It's a builder

Semi empty engine bay. I plan on degreasing it and maybe painting it black? Or I will just leave it maroon brown.

That's it for now.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:55 PM

3/19/06

I worked on it again Saturday. My dad and I went out and picked up the 85 from a friend's house. We unloaded it and I degreased the engine compartment.

I then moved the 84 out of the garage and degreased the engine bay as well. I scrubed the firewall and inner fenders as well as the frame rails. I forgot to take the camera so no pics.

We then took the entire dash apart and starting looking how we were going to get the wiring harness out. Taking a dash apart is a PIA. We started to take the harness out of the engine bay and into the truck.

We also dropped the gas tank to swap with the 85.

More to come.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:56 PM

3/22/06

I worked on the head last night. I finished the last intake valve seat and started to hand lap each of the intake valves. We also got the milling machine setup to shave the head.

Cam gear pictures, nice piece from LC Engineering. Should be good for 5 hp. At $110, that over $20 a horsepower

Actucally, the main reason for the cam gear is since I'll be shaving the head, I will need to dial back in the timing.

Quick Reply: Volcom's 1984 4Runner Build-Up Thread