84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

navyRedneck's 1985 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 03:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
navyRedneck's 1985 Pickup Build-Up Thread

So I brought the pickup home last night, early this morning. Here's a picture of my 2 trucks:

Pickup has a bad rod knock. Carb was supposedly rebuilt not too long ago but I couldn't get it to run for anything... Carb spray helped some.

Immediate plans:

$358.95 LCE 22R/RE Street Header Kit - 4WD (81-95) 1041036 (leaning more towards not doings this as I'd rather spend that money rebuilding the winch or on new springs. Anyone disagree?)

Engine options
1. Oregon engines for 1000.00 plus 300 shipping.
2. Orient engine for 1399.00 plus lift gate fees. Probably gonna go with Orient just based on all the good feedback on this site regarding them. If I wanted more aftermarket stuff on the engine I'd definitely go with Oregon as they offer aftermarket stuff installed with a Lifetime Unlimited Mileage warranty.

Will look at clutch, hoping to not do this right now.

Plan is to get the truck rolling and make sure everything else works. I do have some surface rust on the frame that I want to take care of asap. May also ditch the rollbar as I don't have a need for it. Anyone looking to buy one?

Once that is complete, do the 22r to 22re conversion found on Pirate. Looks like all the parts will run $250 plus shipping or so. Hoping to also find a local junkyard with gas tank and SR5 instrument cluster. I'm also a control freak and want to be able to watch oil pressure, tach, and voltmeter.
http://siestaoff-road.web1000.com/clustertech.html

I'd appreciate any criticisms or advice. I'm a pretty poor mechanic so this is gonna be a huge undertaking.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i did a Lce header on my 22re was by far the best mod
Old 02-20-2007, 04:31 PM
Contributing Member

Worth $350? It's just a lot of cash to throw into one component...
Old 02-20-2007, 04:33 PM
Contributing Member

Be glad. Cams for my quad cam V8 cost over 1K. If you feel that you really need new springs worse than power, go for springs; they're relatively the same price per set.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:36 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Best advice I can give you...if you can do it yourself and you have another rig to dd...DIY every time. Best teacher is experience. If you build it yourself, you can hopefully fix it on the trail if need be...saddest thing to see is some "bought" rig that someone is driving and it breaks down and they have no clud how to fix it when it is usually something easily fixed.

I have an LCE header and high flow cat...with a Delta 40 Series magnaflow...who would have thought a 22RE could growl.

P.S. If ya need any parts during the "build up" just let me know.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 02-20-2007 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:46 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks great. I like the 4runner better though.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:05 PM
Contributing Member

Kyle95sr5, honestly I can't imagine liking the pickup better. It's just that I'm at the point where I really want a SFA and I wanted something easier to work on that had a more long-term-reliable engine. That said, I'm hoping to sell this 4runner and then buy another one later down the road (maybe one with a blown HG that I can fix up with a 1uz V8...). At this point I just need a reliable DD that can double as a hunting truck (pickup bed will be nice for that...).

So today I doubled my money in the truck (went over actually). I ordered the LCE headers this morning (after some flip-flopping, thanks to all who offered opinions). Orient engine wasn't gonna have an engine ready until Friday so I gave Oregon engines a call. A guy named John was really helpful and now it looks like I'm gonna get a 22r next week complete with oversize valves, torque RV crane cam, and metal timing guide. Ends up being 1240 plus shipping plus core charge (dunno how much I'll get back from that due to the rod knock). Should arrive next week.

Until then I'm tearing stuff off the truck.
Old 02-21-2007, 02:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by navyredneck
Kyle95sr5, honestly I can't imagine liking the pickup better. It's just that I'm at the point where I really want a SFA and I wanted something easier to work on that had a more long-term-reliable engine. That said, I'm hoping to sell this 4runner and then buy another one later down the road (maybe one with a blown HG that I can fix up with a 1uz V8...). At this point I just need a reliable DD that can double as a hunting truck (pickup bed will be nice for that...).
I have a 4runner with a ˟˟˟˟ed up motor. Will be for sale soon.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:56 AM

So today I doubled my money in the truck (went over actually). I ordered the LCE headers this morning (after some flip-flopping, thanks to all who offered opinions). Orient engine wasn't gonna have an engine ready until Friday so I gave Oregon engines a call. A guy named John was really helpful and now it looks like I'm gonna get a 22r next week complete with oversize valves, torque RV crane cam, and metal timing guide. Ends up being 1240 plus shipping plus core charge (dunno how much I'll get back from that due to the rod knock). Should arrive next week.

Until then I'm tearing stuff off the truck.
what kind of warranty does the company offer where you got your engine from? I am in the market to get one as well and was curious as to what the warranty was like as well as the quality of the motor compared to jasper. good luck with the buildup and take pics as you go. good luck and take care!!
Old 02-22-2007, 12:11 PM
Contributing Member

lifetime unlimited mileage for original owner!

All their web business is through eBay although I just called to place an order as I wanted to talk to them in person:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/22R-2...85363846QQrdZ1

That might also explain why their feedback is so low (more phone orders than eBay...). If you do a search on here you will find a few others who have used them and recommend them.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:25 PM

ok, great!! when you get everything installed, post up and let us know what you think. I would definitely like to go that route as it would save me a bunch of money not having to go with Jasper. I just hope their quality is as good as Jasper's. good luck and post some pics when you get it.
Old 02-22-2007, 06:25 PM
Contributing Member

Have disconnected all the wires and connections. Last step is to disconnect transmission. Both my Haynes and the FSM talk about removing the engine with the transmission. Since I'm gonna leave the trans in the truck how do I pull the engine alone?

I'm guessing I need to jack up the trans prior to disconnecting as the engine is currently holding up the front half of the trans. Any recommendations on how to do this with a 3" BL? My jack only goes up so far...

Engine should arrive mid next week. LCE headers are on back order. Supposedly they have 30 being ceramic coated and won't come in til next week. The sales rep said the headers are their "bread and butter" and that they can never keep enough in stock. I did ask why they were so expensive to which he replied that they were cheaper than many of the headers he has seen on the web.

Also, I was able to get the manifold off of the engine but I can't break the nuts holding the cat on. Any suggestions on that? I'm thinking of using a saw to cut it off. I think the LCE headers come with enough pipe to reach back to the cat. Once I have the cat out of the truck I could always torch/saw/drill the bolts out.

Also planning on painting the engine block with high temp paint. Currently thinking of silver.

Got word back from Warn. Seems my winch is a discontinued model dropped in 1986 called the MX6085 that is a 6000 lb winch. Supposedly the wiring is the same as the 8274 model which has an awesome writeup here:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/8274/
Need to figure out what parts to rebuild. Anyone have experience with rebuilding winches?
Old 02-23-2007, 06:52 PM
Contributing Member

Used my reciprocating saw to cut off the exhuast manifold just before the cat. It's now out of the truck and in my backyard. I love reciprocating saws...

I'm now looking at what is left to prevent me from pulling the engine. The only thing I can see left is the starter. If I'm only pulling the engine does the starter have to get removed seperately?

The rest of the weekend is gonna be busy. Maybe get to pull the engine late Sunday or Monday.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:36 PM
Contributing Member

Finally got the engine out today. Was a big pain. The Wabbit gave me some advice and not long after I was able to get a crowbar in to get the engine and transmission apart.

(like the the two methods of redneck-engineering holding the tranny up? I had to roll the truck back after pulling the engine to get the motor into the garage so I rigged up the tranny using two independent methods in case one lets go)

I broke the oil pan bolts before I pulled the engine so I'm hoping to drop the pan tonight and check the condition of the crankshaft. Also want to start cleaning up the parts I'll be moving to the new motor.

Tomorrow I'm gonna flush the frame and start sanding, priming, and painting the frame and anything else rusted that I can get to easily with the motor out. Lots of surface rust on the frame that I'm hoping to take care of.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:07 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Finally got the engine out today. Was a big pain. The Wabbit gave me some advice and not long after I was able to get a crowbar in to get the engine and transmission apart.
I told you swearing at it, threatening to dump it in the river, kicking the tires with steel toed shoes and hitting it with a hammer would work...or at least one of them did.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:49 PM

Hay Navy,
I look forward to reading your post each and every dad and am please to hear you are getting some things accomplished. I can't wait to see the finished product. Good luck and definitely keep us posted.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:50 PM
Contributing Member

Here's the damage...

This is my first time seeing an oil pan come off of an engine but I don't think that copper looking stuff is good...

Good news is the crankshaft doesen't move when I try to shift it. I think that means I will get my core (minus return shipping) charge back which should be about $200!

Last edited by navyredneck; 07-01-2007 at 12:58 PM. Reason: fixed pic link
Old 02-27-2007, 04:55 PM
Contributing Member

Did some painting of the frame

whitetaco02, thanks for the encouragement. I definitely feel over my head but I'm hoping that all goes well...

Didn't have as much time today but I did get some painting done.

Picture of battery area with rust:
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r...p/battrust.jpg
After sanding, priming, and painting:
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r.../battpaint.jpg

Frame pictures of surface rust:
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r.../framerust.jpg
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r...eframerust.jpg
After sanding, priming, and painting:
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r...frameprime.jpg

I've always used a palm sander and it's always taken a long time. Today I went to the store and found a drill attachment that removes rust. The rust flew off! Saved me at least an hour tonight. That thing rocks!

Tomorrow I'm gonna tackle the oil pan. Hope to clean it out and get it painted. Planning on using high temp paint for it.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:11 PM
Contributing Member

Outside of oil pan painted

Cleaned out the oil pan with brake cleaner today. Found pieces of plastic timing guide (makes me feel good since I ordered the metal one installed by Oregon Engines). Got paint peeling from inside the pan, not sure what to do there. What's worse? Paint chips getting sucked up in the oil or painting the inside of the oil pan and risk having the paint fail there?

I stripped the outside of oil and rust, cleaned it up with paint thinner, and then painted it with ceramic primer and paint. I did tape the gasket area and I also left the oil drain plug installed since it's already stripped and will be thrown away afterwards. Currently got it baking in the oven

Tomorrow I plan on removing the valve cover and some other stuff. Need to take lots of pictures so I can remember how to reinstall stuff.

Any advice on what to do with the inside of the pan would be appreciated.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r...kup/oilpan.jpg
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r...ilpanprime.jpg
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r...ilpanpaint.jpg
Old 03-02-2007, 03:03 PM
Contributing Member

My engine came in yesterday. Brought it home last night. Having a hard time getting the crankshaft pulley off. I've put 200 lbs onto a 2 foot breaker bar and it didn't budge. I've tried a 500 ftlb impact wrench with no results. Thinking of trying heat....

Quick Reply: navyRedneck's 1985 Pickup Build-Up Thread