Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Sizzle Chest's 1981 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 09:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Sizzle Chest's 1981 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Hey, I've been reading through all your guy's great build threads and it got me thinking it would be fun to have my own. But, having almost no money to work with, I realized that the only thing I had to write about was doing a cut rate job fixing all the busted stuff on my rig. So, don't go thinking you'll see my rig transform into anything more than it is now. Think of this as more of a way to feel better about your own handy work.

To start with, here's my 81 as it sits today:

Now, a little ketchup. Here's what the interior looked like when I first bought it. Please note the steering wheel, door panels, missing carpet, gaping hole in the dash.

First thing to do was fix that heinous steering wheel. Sorry about the lack of pictures, but I cut all that tape and foam off and used some old heater and fuel line's to cover the metal frame, then wrapped it with some old handlebar tape off my bike. A little electrical tape and first free fix was done.

Next thing was to put in some carpet. I had some left over carpet scraps and foam that worked great!

Old 05-18-2009, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you know...the steering wheel looks surprisingly good...haha

The carpet's pretty well done too, looks like it could be a factory job. Nice new speakers too, btw.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:36 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Yea that steering wheel came out great and the carpet I dont see any wrinkles or anything.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:52 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
You know I have a feeling this will be my favorite thread if you can do everything possible for free. Just what you have come up with already is really cool.

Its not like the cheap mods thread where everything is like $20 here $30 there. If everything you did in here was free this would be awesome.

Keep going!
Old 05-18-2009, 09:59 PM

Now, before you go thinking things are going great, you might take a look at the next few pictures . . . I had an old tape deck stereo that was somehow too big for that ridiculously large hole in my dash, so I stuck it in the glove box. On top of that, it's a mopar stereo, so I am ready to get fa-lamed! I tried to yank the speakers out of the rear of my Camry but it was more effort than it was worth, so I broke down and bought a 15$ pair at a going-out-of-business sale. Now, if you look in the area I circled and you can just barely see where a hot wire fused itself to the metal dash and caught fire!

For the giant hole, my original thinking was to cover it using a piece of wood from an old desk drawer, then fill it in with an old CB I took out of my grandpa's '76 ford and some indicator lights and switches, for the kids.

Well, I never took woodshop, but if I had and I did this for a project I would have got a big fat F. My only tools were sandpaper and my tree saws. Anyway, while making the final cuts, I snapped the board in half.

That's when the rage set in. I have hated that cracked dash foam from the moment I saw it. So, I tore into it out without thinking about how bad it would look afterward. Now, I'm looking at getting one of those dash covers off ebay, anyone know if they are worth it? Any pictures of one? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1979-...Q5fAccessories

I was pissed about the wood and decided to go and buy a piece of sheet metal from home depot . . . I didn't find anything suitable and was on my way out when I found this free sample of fake wood flooring! It's thick and stiff, but pliable enough to work.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:06 PM

Anyway, that's where I'll leave it for tonight. I hope I do a better job with this sample of flooring since it's the only piece I have.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love the paint job on your truck

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this thread
Old 05-19-2009, 09:33 AM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
That dash cover is just a peice of carpet. If you still have the other peice of dash you might be able to duct tape it back in then fill it with some "right stuff" foam. Sand it down to level and throw the carpet dash pad on top. Just like new. lol
Old 05-19-2009, 10:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool thread Sizzle!
Old 05-19-2009, 10:49 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Great thread, can't wait to see what else yo find for free!!!

Originally Posted by toylocost
You know I have a feeling this will be my favorite thread if you can do everything possible for free. Just what you have come up with already is really cool.

Its not like the cheap mods thread where everything is like $20 here $30 there. If everything you did in here was free this would be awesome.

I Agree with Toylocost, only use free stuff!!!
Old 05-19-2009, 11:40 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
if i was a mod I would rename this thread "Sizzler's Economic Reality Build thread"

good idea to come up with cheap/free mods...

oh and after seeing the interior of your truck, this is not the one I was trying to buy...
Old 05-19-2009, 12:37 PM

Carpet looks good, not sure on the rest.

I used to drive around with pieces of that yellow/blue/green carpet backing foam as carpet, 80's BMW floor mats, 1 speaker, a gas tank that leaks over 1/2 tank, huge holes in the floors, no temp gauge.. I had a vise-grip as a window opener for awhile too.

Tearing it all back down and rebuilding properly.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:26 PM

Thanks for all the comments. I'm at an impasse with the foam dash cover. I really wish I hadn't tore it into a thousand pieces because at least I could have covered it with something, but now no. Any suggestions?
Old 05-19-2009, 07:11 PM

Source a new dash pad, used or something.. gotta be something around. As for the switch panel/radio panel they are getting harder to find, I paid $50 for a mint one, Im just going to build one out of Aluminum instead though.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:28 PM

After considering the issue of my dash, I came up with a brilliant solution. To fix the foam dash cover, I extracted the wax from a honey bee nest and sculpted a new cover based on memory.

To approximate the look of the original dash panels I knew I needed to use plastic. First, I carved a mold out of whittling wood. I then collected some old soda bottles and melted them down and added some black dye. I poured the liquid plastic into the mold and painted the final product to factory specs.

Alright, I know that I killed this thread for you guys who wanted me to do this with no money, but I'm no MacGyver. To be honest, I found these dash parts in a yard for 10 smackers. Weren't easy neither. I checked three yards before finding them, and even then I was on my way out and a 2wd '79 was on it's way in so I had first pickens. Way worth it for me and I'm guessing that not only would I never have been able to do half as good but that I probably increased the value of my rig more than 10$ by doing it. So, it was practically free, right?!

Last edited by Sizzle Chest; 05-23-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:39 PM

Here's one more. Note that I kept the dash original, no cuts!

Old 05-24-2009, 05:56 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Well for spending 10 I guess we'll let you pass on this one...That thing looks GREAT Though...After seeing this one, I think I want one as well. I love the look of the 1st gen, I don't think I can find one that I can afford in this area. Besides the lil lady will kill me if I bring a 3rd one in and don't have either of the other 2 up to snuff...

Keep on keeping on!!!
Old 05-24-2009, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah that does look good!! It seems like you got a great deal on that, and it also somewhat matches your seats!!
Old 05-24-2009, 07:52 AM

thanks for the comments. i thought about painting the dash cover to match, but I liked the two tone look and it does sorta match the rest of the interior. when the yard guy quoted me 10$ for that stuff I couldn't believe it. It one of those times where you want to pay and get out as soon as possible just in case they decide to change their mind!
Old 05-25-2009, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by Island_Yota
Carpet looks good, not sure on the rest.

. . .I had a vise-grip as a window opener for awhile too.
This is my current setup

Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest
thanks for the comments. i thought about painting the dash cover to match, but I liked the two tone look and it does sorta match the rest of the interior.
I agree, leave it be. I think it looks amazing!!!

And when I first started reading the whole part of molding your own dash, the only thought that went through my head was "Holy crap. . .are you flippin serious?!" lol