Other Makes Cars/Trucks Own a different car or truck other than a Toyota?

Honda brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honda brakes

I have an 02 honda civic. brakes were going bad so i replace pads and decide to put new rotors on at the same time since the old ones were a bit more rusted than i was comfortable with. Start driving for a while and everything's fine until about a week after the change and the brakes start to squeak a bit at stops. it kept getting a bit worse and then started doing it whenever i touched the brake and then started doing it all the time. so i though that must be the calipers sticking it sounded exactly like that felt like it etc. so i wait for pay day and then replace them. then after driving a bit in an area with a lot of stops it's starts doing it again. not as bad but it's doing at stops after it's been stopped a repeatedly for a while. I have no idea what is going on. Could i have bled them wrong or could the master cylinder have something to do with it. I've basically replaced the entire front brakes and it's still having this issue. could someone please give me some clue's.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
what type (brand and material compound) pads did you put on?

most of the cheap basic semi-metallic pads are just prone to squeaking. putting on a bit more expensive ceramic pads (or just better quality semi-metallic pads) might make the squeaking go away

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 08-14-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the squeeling actually indacates that your master, and wheel cylinder+all hydralics are working.

like travis said, its probably just the material of the brakes at fault.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:40 PM

Not only do cheap compound pads create noise but lack of lubrication on all contact/wear points on the calipers and pads cause noise also.
Lots of factors can cause noise.. did you burnish the pads after you installed them ? Are the rotors true ? Even though they may be new they can still be out of round
Stop replacing parts and go back to the beginning with the basics.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:01 PM

I did burnish the pads and all the parts are oiled. They are squeking mostly when i'm turning and after they have heated up a bit. The squeeking is better than it was before i replace the calipers by a lot but it's still doing it when it doesn't make sense to me. when I do a sharp turn and after i've braked hard but keeps squeeking for a good 5 min after the stop. I think iamsuperbleeder might be right about the pads being possibly low quality. I'm gonna work on it this next weekend and hopefully find the cause. I just don't want to have to get new pads again since i just baught them and I don't think I still have the reciept. I'm thinking of haveing the new rotors turned just incase those have something to do with it. There's a autohobby shop here that will do it for cheap for me so I might as well.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:42 PM

i had a Yamaha 650 years ago the front brakes would squeal like stuck hog when i would use them.. the fix was to take the pads out and clean the glaze off of them.. to do so you need a flat surface and piece of sand paper.. put the paper down on the flat surface lay the brake pad braking surface side down and sand it until all of the glaze is gone .. and before you put them back on clean the rotor with steal wool too clean the glaze from it also.. when i did that to my motorcycle they never squealed again.. no there is no way to know if this will fix your problem permanently but it did for me ..