Cycling Mountain biking, road biking, any type of pedal powered biking

Hydration packs for mountain biking

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 10:01 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Hydration packs for mountain biking

OK, a little was touched on in another thread (my big new bike search thread) but I want a fresh start here.

I have an REI Runoff pack that was given to me from REI as a Christmas present back around 2002 when I worked there part time while laid off from Boeing.

I know the watersack is two liters, pretty much the norm.
The pack is 950 cubic inches for carrying capacity.
It has never been used, should I trust the water bladder still?
They say you can clean them with Nalgene tablets or mix one teaspoon of baking soda with one cup of water and pour it in and shake really good, then rinse and drain.

960 CI seem enough, or does it seem small?
Here are some pics of it.

I saw some good reviews for two three liter packs over on MTBR.
Deuter Hydration Packs - Deuter Compact EXP 8 & Hydro Lite 3.0 Pro Review

They say you notice the weight of the extra liter of water, and I do not plan on riding for long periods at a time until I am in much better shape.

What packs are you using, and are you happy with them?
Old 08-08-2009, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Corey your 2 liters will be fine. Just give the bladder a good cleaning. Im currently using a 3 liter camelbak mule with it loaded with 2 tubes,tire levers, a pump, cliff bars, and some other stuff. My rides are usally 4 to 8 miles and the bladder has plenty of water. Dont worry about the weight your carrying, your in it for the hobby, and health. Weight weenies, will tell you otherwise, but most of them can lose some weight themselves. Just make sure you have room for tubes,pump and food, and your good to go.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:33 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks!
I was out of baking soda, it is now on my grocery list.
Borrowed some from the neighbor, and I now have a clean Nalgene water sack.
Not sure if most are made by Nalgene or not, but REI used it for this model.

Oh yeah, the tubes and a few other things will go into this pack for now.
My seat pack on the bike only holds a few tools and patch kit, and spare C02 cartridge, not enough room for tubes, energy bars, ect.

Speaking of weight, I seemed to have lost five lbs over the last week.
Must be from the little riding I have gotten in, and eating tons more fruit during the heat wave in the triple digits we had last week.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just use a 2 liter camel back. You forget it's back there, very comfortable.

And yeah you probably sweat that weight right off... it was 107 in Yelm one of those days sheesh
Old 08-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Auburn was about the same temps two Wednesdays ago.
I drank much more water than I let out though
I had to force myself those days to drink so I would not end up getting dehydrated.
Same at work, I was drinking two 40 oz Kleen Kanteens daily.

Good to know you hardly notice these on.
They are much smaller than my old REI day pack which was quite big compared to this pack.
This lay much closer to the back.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:49 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Just saw a thread earlier today on Expo about water bottles, and a guy mentioned a new hydro pack coming out in January of 2010 that is suppose to be a great one.

I did the thing and found out some info on it.

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/6197
http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/6238

It is called Osprey Hydraulics.
that phrase did not bring it up until I substituted hydration for hydraulics.

The mountain bike version is called the Raptor.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
I am on my third 70oz Camelback Rogue. Works for most rides just fine. On hot 50+ (road) or 20+ (mtn) mile rides I throw one or two more bottles on the bike and hot long rides in the desert a couple more bottles in my jersey pockets.
I don't really like plain warm water from a plastic container so make some watery gatorade using the powder. Gotta make sure you wash it out right after your ride, though.

So, what tools/gear are you going to stuff in there?
Old 08-08-2009, 07:35 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Innertube or two, small pump, granola bars, cell phone, small first aid kit.
On my old bike I had a trunk rack that held all that stuff, but I am liking the idea better to carry the stuff in a pack on me, and makes the bike more maneuverable without a cumbersome pack on it.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have two CamelBaks, a 3L MULE for longer rides and a 1.5L HydroBak for quickies. I only use refrigerated distilled water, no worries about gunk buildup in the bladder or hose. I burn about 1L/hr. road riding so have a 50+ mile range on a full tank.

Something interesting happened yesterday when I ordered a new MTB. The dealer asked me to wear my MULE full of water and gear at delivery so he can set the suspension properly. I guess the extra 10-12 lbs. makes enough difference to affect bike behavior, something to consider when setting prepping for the trail.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:38 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

That is cool Bob they suggested bringing in your gear and tuning the fork to you.
My shop did not do this, they said for me to experiment with the settings.
I am sure if I had asked for them to do it though they would have.

I filled up my bladder (the pack, not mine ) with water from my kitchen faucet using the Pur water filter that is on it full time.

Threw some Nature Valley granola bars, band aids in a baggie, pump, and there is a ton of room for a cell phone, keys, and my wallet still.
Adjusted the pack, fits good.

Had to let out the strap though that goes around the belly
Old 08-09-2009, 09:11 AM
Contributing Member

Heh, you'll be snugging up the belly band before you know it. That's an important adjustment to keep the pack in one place on your back once you get the shoulder straps dialed in.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:58 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Cycling Hydration Packs

This and the next three posts were in another thread which I merged into this one.
I did not realized I had two hydration threads.
Sucks getting old
Info was getting buried in my new bike thread.
I want to upgrade to a newer 100 oz (3 liter) pack, and I saw an ad for a Camelbak Logo in VeloNews.

Amazon has them in different colors, and I kind of like the dark cheddar/charcoal color, as the cheddar matches the bike sort of.

I have seen the Mules, but they are kind of big to me.
They can carry 540 cubic inches compared to the Lobos 146 cubic inches.

My old REI pack I have is a 2 liter model, and less cubic inch storage than the Lobo I think, but it is plenty for what I want to carry.

Anyone seen the Lobo or have it, what are your thoughts on it?
Old 08-22-2009, 06:35 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Ooops, I just looked at the card that came with my old REI Run Off pack, and it is 950 cubic inches of carrying capacity.
That is bigger than the Camelbak Mule.

My present pack does not feel all that bad on my back either, so maybe if I do get a new one, the Mule might be the way to go.

Reason I want to upgrade is this one has a defective/recall on the harness system, but it is not made anymore, so I can not get it exchanged, plus it was a gift I received as an employee back in 2002 there.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
My husband's got the Mule, 100oz. That's a lot of juice for yer average ride. He saves it for longer rides (over, say 25 miles on trails). It is big, more like a backpack with hydration. Comes in handy sometimes but usually gets left at home in favor of lighter packs or bottles.
I use a Rouge, 70oz. A lot lighter than the Mule and not as much storage space, but plenty for your tube and other repair needs, a phone and wallet too. I'll tie a jacket to the outside of it if I need to. I'm on the 3rd one and haven't felt the need to increase the carrying/liquid capacity.
If I'm doing one of those longer rides I use water bottles and refill the camelback using them as needed. If it's long and somewhere like Porcupine Rim in Moab I use the Rouge and 4 bottles, 2 on the bike and 2 in my jersey pockets. That's the place he uses a Mule and a bottle.

Last edited by habanero; 08-22-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:20 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I think that smaller Lobo might work out for me, as my rides are not long right now.
I do like the smaller look of it compared to the big one I have now.

I think too that the 100 oz will come in handy.
At work just driving/walking I can drain two 40 oz Kleen Kanteens before the work day is over.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:50 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Bringing this older thread back.
I like my Camelbak Lobo the one I bought in the first post here, but it is a little to small.
For summer it was OK, but now with winter almost here I need more room for clothing such as a light weight rain/wind proof jack (I have the Specialized Deflect Trail Jacket) and a polar fleece top to wear over a jersey and under the jacket if it is really cold outside.
The Lobo pack is simply to small, in fact as light as that Specialized jacket is, I doubt it would fit with the other gear I carry in it.

So I picked up a 2010 Mule yesterday in the same color.
http://www.camelbak.com/sports-recre...2010-mule.aspx

This is the pack I probably should have gone with first.
Lots more room inside, 600 cubic inches.
They have another model too that has a back barrier in it to keep air flowing over your back, but it cuts the capacity down to 520 cubic inches.
It is called the Mule NV.
http://www.camelbak.com/sports-recre...0-mule-nv.aspx
I read a few complaints on that model with the straps/barrier ruining a few jerseys, so I stuck with the tired and ture proven model, the basic Mule.

Question on how long can you leave water in the bladder in these during the cooler months.
I would like to leave the smaller Lobo pack in my rig with the bladder full and a few items in the pack such as energy bars, first aid kit, ect.
I have my bugout kits too on the rear door of my rig, but they are not backpacks in a sense like the Camelbak is.

Would the water get bad say after sitting in the rig for a few months?
Old 11-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Contributing Member

Corey, nice MULE! They're so comfy even fully loaded with 10+ lbs. of water and gear. Very durable too. I've never had any seams, zippers or bladder failure.

The water will acquire the plastic bladder taste after 2-3 days in either of my Camelbaks. Using filtered water will prevent nasties from growing but if using tap water be sure to drain completely (including the hose) and hang open to dry. Camelbak has a rectangular-shaped hanger that does a great job. Oh, just checked their site and they changed the design. Consider it a must have:

http://www.camelbak.com/sports-recre...voirdryer.aspx

All that said, I usually forget to clean one of the bladders for a month and wind up with a smelly bag. I read on MTB that the expensive Camelbak cleaning tabs are really rebranded Efferdent so I bought a box of maybe 60 of those for less than two Camelbak tabs. They work well, the big bag takes two, fill with filtered water and agitate, let some of the solution out of the hose to clean it, allow to sit overnight and rinse.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Bob, I have that hanger and the tabs I bought at the time when I bought the Lobo.
I hear baking soda works great too though.

Thanks, I think it is a great looking pack, and that cheddar color grows on me like the orange of my bike.

I would have rode this weekend, but it is nasty out.
Seriously thinking of an indoor trainer later with the kind of winters we have here.

On a sidenote, I ordered a MagicShine light to compliment my other P7 light.
One will go on the helmet, the other one on the handlebars.
I should ride down at my work on a weekend when it is pitch black out on the nature trails, as I might get some good video footage of coyotes, skunks, rabbits, ect.
I see them down there when it is still dark out during the week.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:23 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, nasty out here too with overcast, passing light showers and 48°. So I'm leaving for a short ride! I can't help it, every time I look at the GF I just want to ride somewhere in the dirt.

I don't have rain gear except for a jacket so I'll pull on sweatshirt and pants over bibs and call it good. No rear fender yet (hard to find 29er fenders locally) so the hose out FJ interior is appreciated.