Notices
The Classifieds GraveYard Where old classifieds threads go that are too good to let go

For Sale: 1987 4Runner SR5

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For Sale: 1987 4Runner SR5

1987 4Runner SR5 22RE/Automatic Red with grey interior. Manual hubs. Originally an eastern Tennessee 4Runner, I bought it last year as my project, but another project came up- so it has to go.

Excellent frame, good body (minimal rust in rear quarters, and just inside the front fender lips.), many new OEM Toyota parts- window rubber, etc., FJ Cruiser wheels and tires, all the stuff works (cruise, power windows- I went throught the switches, rear window- fixed it!, Altimeter & inclinemeters, gauges, OEM 2001 Toyota Tacoma AM/FM/CD/Cass player, lights- new rear lenses and gaskets, Australian front corner lights, new rear wiper arm and blade, etc.)

I found out the motor has a slight rod knock in either cylinder three or four. I have driven this truck maybe 200 miles since I bought it last year. When I got it (off ebay, like a knucklehead), I thought something didn't sound just right, so I didn't drive it much until I found a compitent Toyota mechanic to look it over. Up until then, I worked on it and it stayed in my garage (where it is right now.) When I got it, the brakes were horrible- so I replaced the booster and master cylinder and bled the system. More recently, I replaced the front calipers with quality remans. and new top-of-the-line pads from NAPA. The rear drums are a bit tight from being over adjusted, but that is an easy fix. The boots on the ball joints are cracked and will let grease through. I was going to do a full suspension rebuild if I were to keep it. When I heard the new about the engine, I was mildly unhappy (the thing has 173,000+ miles on it.) So I wanted to gather quality stuff for a rebuild. Note: The things here are not part of the sale price, but can be had at additional cost- Spare short block (its on my engine stand, bought it just in case mine threw a rod), Engnbldr Street RV head with 268C cam installed (still new in the box), RC Engineering cleaned and checked fuel injectors (spare set I bought and sent off to them- they are beautiful! They look brand new!), Powder coated spare valve cover (red), oil pan (silver chrome), Upper and lower intake plenum (silver chrome), some brackets and engine mount parts (matte black), etc. Ask me about the parts if you're interested.

Let me be frank, I would love to keep this 4Runner and completely resto-mod the thing. But my newest project demands my attention and garage space. This 4Runner is in wayyyyyy too nice of shape for making a rock crawler. It is for someone who wants a nice off-roader that also looks good out on the town. This 4Runner, as all 4Runners of this vintage, was born without A/C, and never had the kit installed at port or dealer. So, no A/C, but I have a box of parts from the previous owner that has most of it without the compressor or mount. I also was given a spare A340H transmission/transfer case that came from a burned '88 (geezzz that thing is heavy!) I have all kind of extras that may be purchased buy the buyer of the 4Runner for a separate amount.

Fact- it runs, it drives, it works. I've gone through this thing to find out all the facts about its condition. I dare say, I know this critter reasonably well. If you have a question about anything on it, let me know. I removed the crappy hitch that was on the back. This 4Runner was never in any serious altercation with another vehicle, as all the VIN stickers are in place. However, the radiator support, which supports the grill has some slight damage and half ass repair done to it- typical bumper impact on these Toyotas. The repaint is so-so and was done probably a few years ago.

Price for the Red Rat without the extras is $3000.00, this includes a total of 5 FJ Cruiser wheels and tires (4 on the ground and the spare), the box of A/C parts, and the spare transmission.

The 4Runner is in my garage at my house in Elizabethtown KY. It is legally tagged and insured. It is anyone's guess how long the engine will go on with the slight rod knock. Like the mechanic said, "It could go on for thousands of miles like this, or it could throw a rod on the way back home." So I bought the short block, just in case. I have not driven it in 2 months because of this issue. I'm just that anal. The good part for the prospective buyer, is that I'm dreadfully honest. I'd rather not sell this thing to someone that is not mechanically inclined, as paying others for working on old cars gets pretty costly. And if your family is against buying, don't do it! However, If you're the kinda guy that has a garage/shop, tools, and want a project that will be pretty neat to have around- this is it!
Old 08-13-2008, 05:32 AM

Clean truck, sucks about the knock. I'm looking for one that is this clean but not sure if i want to deal with a knock right now.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:05 AM

Still might be interested. Could you get some pictures of the damage to the core support and the "repair" work that was attempted/done and also some pics that show the rust that you described, in the pics posted it doesnt look like there is any rust.
I'm in Colorado and would either have to come get it with a trailer or have it shipped, both of which would cost quite a bit, are you firm on the price?

*EDIT* Can you PM your phone number and a good time to call, its much easier to just talk in person instead of playing forum tag and i'd like to talk in more detail about the condition of the engine and the extras that you have.

Thanks.

Last edited by Okiyota; 08-13-2008 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:52 PM

Old 08-25-2008, 11:07 AM

this truck would be great if it was a manual.... but the truck looks like it was just built. fantastic job keeping it mint