Notices
The Classifieds GraveYard Where old classifieds threads go that are too good to let go

FS: 22RE Turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FS: 22RE Turbo kit

Hey guys we are selling this set-up which is used but will include a new turbo with a used exhaust housing. The guy wants to keep his turbo because it's a Dual BB turbo, we will offer this up with a new Precision SC50 turbo (the BB turbo is a SC50R), the same exact turbo just with standard bearings. This is not a complete kit but only a few things will be needed to get it up and running. It's non-intercooled but you'll get the tubular header, turbo, wastegate and actuator (8 PSI) intake piping, by-pass valve, 2.5" downpipe with v-band connection, the intake clamps, and tubing.

All the piping and EGT and O2 bungs, v-band, 2 bolt flange to bolt up to the stock Toyota exhaust/converter, the flange to mount the factory O2 sensor is all stainless steel. It will also come with the factory O2, and air flow meter. The header itself is mild steel, but all of this has about 20,000 miles on it, and once again the turbocharger itself will be brand new with warranty card you can fill out and get a 1 year warranty through Precision. The header, downpipe, and intake piping all carry our lifetime warranty against any defect-broken weld etc. The downpipe was modified to run a complete aftermarket exhaust, so the second section of will have to be welded back together with the O2 sensor/flew section to be able to hook right up to the factory exhaust. We would weld it back together, but we have no stock exhaust on a truck to match it up with to be sure it is turned just right so the 2 bolt flange will line up with the converter.

This will not come with the oil feed/return lines, various fittings, vacuum lines, gaskets and such. This truck was one of the first to get a tubular header from us, and it was built basically on the truck, this set-up is not exactly like the headers we sell now only because us not knowing this truck has a 3" body lift. We cannot say for sure if it will fit on a truck that is not lifted but it could, it's very hard to tell for sure. A 3" body lift is very cheap and if you wanted one and a turbo...well it might be a good time to do it all!! We just wanted to dissclose that fact so you are aware.

$1600.00 plus shipping. Can ship right away.

Below is just a general shot of the engine.
http://netsol.netobjects.com/matrix/...et?id=19973726

This picture is a closer veiw of the D/P and wastegate set-up. Down by the tranny you can see the v-band assembly that connects the 2 sections of the D/P.
http://netsol.netobjects.com/matrix/...et?id=19973728

Picture of the header when it was first installed.
http://netsol.netobjects.com/matrix/...et?id=19973711

Picture of the included air meter, adapter plate to mount filter, filter and hose for by-pass valve (so your truck will idle and drive properly)
http://netsol.netobjects.com/matrix/...et?id=19973712

Picture of D/P from underneath the truck, if you look close you can see where it was cut from the original stock O2/flex section and enlarged up to 3".
http://netsol.netobjects.com/matrix/...et?id=19973718

And this picture is the rest of the 2nd section of D/P that was cut off to use a 3" pipe and complete aftermarket exhaust.
http://netsol.netobjects.com/matrix/...et?id=19973722

If you have any questions or want to buy it, it will be quicker to call at 866-406-5993 ask for Rick, but your welcome to post questions so others can see and maybe it will answer their questions.

Thanks
Old 09-05-2006, 10:26 PM

Hey Guys, I had a chance to work on a '86 Turbo truck that was not lifted, and it seems the only thing in question would be if the Downpipe would clear. It might have to be re-worked to fit, but it might not, it's hard to tell. It seems many have asked for a kit for the 22RE and the 3.0, just wanted to know your thoughts, suggestions as to why no replies. Though this is not a complete kit, but all the hard stuff is there, just some various small things to make it a complete kit. The turbo alone is $1000 new, and it is new, as I said though it would come with the exhaust housing shown in the pictures because of the internal gate set-up.

$1500 or offer?

Thanks
Old 09-06-2006, 11:07 AM

I'm actually very interested. My only issue is the coin. I'm still trying to sell my 4Runner to pay for mods to my 86 Turbo.

I'll be in touch when the wallet is a bit more padded.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rick,
I'd like to point out that you're selling quailty turbos, not "JDM" knock offs that are setup to look like Garretts. The turbos you're selling will last a long time, are fully rebuildable, and are designed with recent technology. Jeff Mosk is running one of your precision turbos (ball bearing) and putting out over 260 flywheel hp. It builds big power from 2800 rpm up.

I'd also like to mention that the oil line can be tapped on a 22re in under 1/2 hr with the motor still on the truck. The oil drain is easily done also, it's simply a hole in the top of the pan and some minor welding (in most cases).

The connections for the turbo are standard garrett connections, as such oil lines are easily built by the novice or a local hose shop of your choice.

Basically what you're selling would get someone 97% there in terms of bolting a turbo onto their 22RE series...

What isn't resolved in this "kit" is fuel for the 22RE... You might mention what solutions you have to get the A/F right, solutions to drop back timing, or 22RTE pistons (cheap) to lower compression?

Notes:
A Walbro pump can be had for under $100 (new)
440cc+ injectors can be had for under $75 (used)
I'm working on a "drop in" ECU replacement for the stock ECU - the same megasquirt unit that you've used in your truck, but wired up to work with the factory harness, using a factory plug that integrates with the factory ignitor.
Prototype:
I'll bet if you sell a complete solution for the 22RE, you'll see a lot more interest... Especially if you can keep the cost reasonable.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:13 PM

That is the problem, the cost cannot be reasonable, this is why I, we do not offer a kit for a 22RE. It will perform but not at it's best, I had once posted prices for 22RE kits and.....nothing. It does not surprise me only because these trucks are getting older and older, me myself I love my truck, and it didn't bother me to invest thousands of dollars into it to make it fun to drive. As you pointed out, this stuff is top quality equipment, I could make them cheaper, but I won't trade the quality.

The other thing I think everyone is scared of is a stock engine and boost. My truck now has 143,xxx miles on it. I am the second owner, and the motor has never been opened up, it is still factory fresh (though it could use a timing chain and valve adjustment). Bone stock my truck dyno'ed on a Mustang 1250 dyno at 96.8 horse at the wheels, with an FBR header and using a Precision SC50R ball bearing turbo at a mere 4 #'s of boost it made 132 horse to the wheels. That is where it had to be cut off and deal with more fuel and less timing and the added boost wasn't making much of a difference. After adding the MS computer, a 255 in-tank pump and 525cc injectors from Precision boost was kept right at 10 #'s and the truck made 167 horse at the wheels. This is with OUT an intercooler, on 91 octane fuel, and a 100% stock motor. If we were to offer a "complete" set-up for a 22RE to make it perform it's best the kit would have include a MS, fuel pump, injectors, intercooler, but that whole list is would probably run you in the 4 to 5 thousand dollar range. The next problem is what we come to find and it's completely understandable is that trucks, 4runners with the 22RE sometimes are not worth that much money. Who wants to drop 4 grand in performance mods on a truck they picked up for 1000 bucks? My turck is my daily driver so I wanted it to be fun and reliable, and it is even with a stock engine, according my oil change records usually every 5 weeks I have to change it. I put alot of miles on it 3,000 a month or better, not to mention I loaded it down and drove from Omaha Nebraska to Las Vegas Nevada a few months ago with the A/C running pretty much the whole way. I had no problems driving it that far, I never once second guessed if I was going to hurt the stock engine on the way, and it still got 21 MPG or better!

Later

Last edited by Full Boogie; 09-06-2006 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by dcg9381
Rick,
I'd like to point out that you're selling quailty turbos, not "JDM" knock offs that are setup to look like Garretts. The turbos you're selling will last a long time, are fully rebuildable, and are designed with recent technology. Jeff Mosk is running one of your precision turbos (ball bearing) and putting out over 260 flywheel hp. It builds big power from 2800 rpm up.

I went through some old.....old e-mails and did find the e-mail Jeff had sent me being very pleased with my help and products. I would say he is making more power than what you stated because the dyno sheets he sent me stated his previous HP @ 218, TQ @244 with my recommendations and a Precision turbo his numbers were:HP @ 250, TQ @ 279. That's a pretty big jump with just a turbo swap, no other mods, just replacing his Turbonetics turbo for a better selected Precision turbo. Having 250 at the wheels probably comes out to almost 300 or better at the crank considering the 4WD drivetrain. Check out his site (which needs to be updated with this info): http://www.well.com/user/mosk/

Later