Notices
The Classifieds GraveYard Where old classifieds threads go that are too good to let go

400+ hp Toyota Supra Turbo - $6500

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 07:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
400+ hp Toyota Supra Turbo - $6500

Many of you know this car and what has gone into it. I have poured a lot of time and money into this car and never for a second thought I would ever sell it, but the purchase of a home require its sale.

1988 Toyota Supra Turbo 5-speed

Body/Chassis:
  • 1989+ rear spoiler
  • 1989+ JDM tinted taillights
  • New 1989+ rear power antenna
  • 17x8.5" front and 17x9.5" rear Supra twin turbo wheels and new Kumho Ectsa tires
  • New Toyota TEMS struts on all four corners
  • Suspension Techniques (ST) linear-rate coil springs (stock-like ride)
  • Factory removeable roof
  • 154,000 miles on chassis
  • Body is straight and paint is in decent shape--right rear quarter panel has peeling clearcoat

Engine:
  • Completely rebuilt ~3,000 miles ago.
  • Very high level of attention went into this engine rebuild.
  • The block was hot tanked, bored 0.017” over to accommodate Ross forged pistons and rings. Used Ron Ramirez’s 7M torque plate so the bores were done under stress.
  • Connecting rods were resized and fitted with ARP rod bolts
  • Used all “numbers matching” Toyota main bearings and rod bearings. Each journal was mic’d and plastigaged and are well within factory spec.
  • Crankshaft was micropolished
  • Block and head were properly milled for a 1.4 MM Cometic metal headgasket. An excel spreadsheet was used to fit the proper sized headgasket to keep the stock compression ratio and good quench numbers.
  • New Toyota oil pump, oil pump driveshaft bearings and all new internal seals (front and rear main seals, oil pump driveshaft seal, cam seals, etc.) New Toyota engine block freeze plugs.
  • The entire rotating assembly was performance balanced (you can see the gun-drilling on the crank).
  • Vacuum test was conducted on the head and all the valves sealed well within spec. Replaced the valve stem seals with OEM Toyota parts. Did a valve shim adjustment (have all before and after specs in my records.)
  • All hoses were replaced in the past two years. New Toyota oil cooler hoses.
  • New Toyota water pump
  • Brand new OEM Toyota 1992 starter (the newer threaded design for ease of removal)
  • Resurfaced flywheel and exhaust manifolds.
  • New Spec Stage II Kevlar clutch
  • New front and rear transmission seals
  • New driveshaft center support bearing

Bolt-on engine modifications:
  • K&N FIPK (airfilter)
  • 550 cc Nippon Denso fuel injectors (cleaned and flow balanced)
  • Lexus V8 airflow meter
  • New Toyota MKIV Twin Turbo (Denso) fuel pump
  • Aeromotive Adjustable fuel pressure regulator kit with stainless lines & fuel pressure gauge
  • Toyota turbocharger was rebuilt and upgraded to a 60-trim T04E wheel by Performance Techniques
  • Porsche-spec Bosch blow off valve
  • Satin black ceramic-coated Defcon exhaust downpipe with bung for wideband probe
  • 3” universal cat converter
  • 3” mandrel high-dollar HKS dual-outlet exhaust. Looks stock and is only slightly louder than stock.

Electronics:
  • Apexi S-AFC fuel computer mounted in glovebox.
  • Greddy Profec B electronic boost controller with low and high boost modes.
  • Greddy Turbo Timer (with the newer blue LCD screen); both items cleanly mounted in custom DIN slot below the stereo

Interior:
The interior of the car is one of the nicest I have seen. The interior is a 9/10. Seats look new, dashboard is beautiful with no cracks, custom stock-looking in-dash 30 psi boost gauge (aka Ron Ramirez), gauge needles painted red, 1989+ climate control, refinished 1989 steering wheel, new leather shift and e-brake boots, TRD floormats, new rear Pioneer speakers.

Basically all this car needs is a little paint work. From a distance it looks great. Up close you’ll notice the front and rear bumpers are faded more than the rest of the car and the clearcoat on the right rear side is coming off (see album pics). The engine bay is spotless, the underside of the car is clean, it runs strong, smooth and quiet, makes a ton of power. The car does not require tuning. It has been tuned with a wideband and runs 11.8:1 air/fuel ratio at all boost settings without require any fuel pressure or AFC adjustment. Nothing on this car is hacked. The original wiring harness was tapped in three places to run the fuel computer and all connections were soldered, taped (shrink-wrapped when possible) and otherwise done correctly. The car has a very hidden kill switch so it is unlikely to be stolen. Send any questions you may have my direction. paddlenbike@yahoo.com

All photos can be seen here:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/63E898C2545C78D
Click to open the image and a second time to see it at the full resolution.

$6500 FIRM. Located in Sacramento, CA
Old 06-28-2006, 07:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man makes me tempted to have another go around with a turbo car but unfortunatly I'm paying off some other stuff at the moment. That would compliment my 4Runner quite nicely for a summertime ride.
It is probably one of the cleanest I've seen of that gen and with all the work done to it somebody is going to get a deal.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:32 AM
Contributing Member

Wow, nice! Wish I had the money to buy another toy for myself. Here's another bump for ya!
Old 06-28-2006, 08:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
dang man that is sick. too bad im on the east coast, 16 yrs old, and dont have the money. I would never be allowed to own something like that, but i still dream about it! Anyways man very nice car, sry u have to sell it.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:28 AM

Thanks for the complements.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:16 AM

where is this car posted on SM, SF, supras.com, or any other Supra site? I can't find it. I'm assuming that it still passes CA emissions with the mods? What issues are with the car besides the paint? In other words, please give me a detailed listing if what DOESN'T work that did when it was first new? all the way down to stupid things like headlight washers and dash lights out.... It's tough to tell from the pics the true color. Is that the rare midnight blue? What is the stock color code from the plate? what is the ownership history of the car, if you know?

Based on your answers to the above, i'll get with you privately via phone or PM to get the VIN to do a check. you can email me direct at suprarossa@aol.com, if you want. that's my Supra only account, as opposed to my toy4x4runner@aol.com, which I use for truck stuff.

Looks like a great car for a good price. My only hesitation is that my other Supes are 89+, which makes a big difference in parts transferring
Old 06-29-2006, 01:56 PM

Greg, the car is listed on Supraforums and Supramania under a similar heading to this ad. I use the same name (paddlenbike) on all forums.

I have to do two things before a California smog check--remove the adjustable fuel pressure regulator and the exhaust downpipe and replace them with the OEM pieces. (It would pass the sniffer with these in place, but not the visual inspection.)

The car is in great shape for being 18 years old, but of course there are a few items that could still be fixed. There is a very slight oil leak behind the front engine cover. I am about 90% sure it's a cam seal--not a big deal, I just haven't had time to look at it. The leak has actually gotten smaller over the past several months, which often indicates a seal was "nicked" when it was installed and that nick is now wearing down. It leaves a drip or two in the driveway...certainly nothing bad or requiring you to add oil. The trip meter stopped working, the odometer is not effected and I will throw in an extra instrument cluster so it can be repaired. The driver's side window squeaks a little when it's coming down and the interior lights do not illuminate when the door is opened, but they work when you turn them on with the switch. (The ground wire usually just needs to be re-done at the light assembly.) Now that you mentioned it, I disconnected the headlight washer assembly because the relay assembly was ugly and took up a bunch of space in the engine bay, but I could reinstall it. These are pretty small things--I've been working long days and nights lately, so they're just some things I haven't had time to address yet.

I thought I had this car sold to a guy in Minneapolis. I had gone through and changed the oil, checked the brakes and everything I could think of to make sure it was ready for the 2,100 mile drive. Buyer backed out at the last minute. Basically, the car is ready for a long trip.

The paint code is 8E3, "mica blue metallic." I will PM you the VIN number when I get home--it does have a clean carfax report.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:25 PM

If you lived in Canada, i wouldnt think twice about buying that car. Ive always had the supra dream. Is there anything Toyota can't do!!??
Old 06-29-2006, 07:33 PM

holy crap! that car is amazing! i would totally buy it if i had 6,500$ cause i want something fast. BEAUTIFUL CAR! u shouldnt have any problem selling it for that. ill mention it to my friend. he needs a new car. good luck
Old 07-25-2006, 06:50 AM

SOLD. :cry:
Old 07-26-2006, 06:31 AM

Sorry for your loss, but glad you were able to find a buyer. Was he/she at least a Supra enthusiast? someone who could appreciate what they were getting? If i ever sell a Supra (doubt it), I would definitely refuse to sell it to anyone who pulls up in a front wheel drive car with a huge wing on it. "So, how is that rear downforce working out for you?"
Old 07-26-2006, 10:49 AM

The new owner has family with MKIIIs and has been looking for a clean Supra for a solid year now. He knew everything about the car and it seems he got what he was looking for. I hope it makes him as happy as the car made me.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:14 AM

So how are you getting your speed fix now paddlenbike?
Old 07-26-2006, 11:18 AM

I'm not. Gearing up to drop big $$$ on a house.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:33 AM

Meh, houses are overrated. Fast cars and unstoppable yota trucks are where its at
Old 07-26-2006, 12:18 PM
Banned

yeah but houses are an investment.. in 10 years he will be netting a good 10 times more then that car was worth.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:29 PM

pfft... investment. 10 years... Live fast, die young