Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Snow performance for Mud Terrain Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by montypower
Trxus??? Everything I've seen of them has been poor. But they are inexpensive.
Not sure where you are getting your info, but the TrXus MT is pretty much THE hot tire with the New England offroad community right now. It's basically a Super Swamper carcass with a sipped MT tread.

I know MANY guys who run them on everything from daily driver Cherokees, to giant CJ's, to built FJ60's and the tire retains good road manners, good snow performance, and excellent mud and rock ability... all in one tire.

That said, I've had BFG AT's on a few rise snow and the tire is just phenominal in packed snow and ice (ie. winter roads). It's alos a very capable offroad tire as long as you don't get into a lot o fmud.

The truck I just bought has a newalry new set of ProComp Xterrains which have a tread similar to the TrXus MT only directional. I'm optimistic about winter performance.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Erich_870
Lol, that must take forever!

Erich
Actually not, maybe 5 minutes per tire and you don't even have to take them off the truck. Much less time that finding a tire shop that will do it for you then driving down and waiting for them to finish and drive back home. I've probably siped close to 10 sets of tires, some 2 or 3 times as the cuts wear down.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:06 AM

One of the guys in my club does the same thing as Roger with his BFG MT's adn swears by it in the snow.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:33 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
Originally Posted by rocket
Ive herd and read reviews that Destinations are one of the best MT's in snow, even better than BFG AT's.
I havent made a final dicision yet but i'll probably end up getting them.
I have Firestone Destination LE's and found them to be comparable to the Bridgestone REVO's and Michelin LTX's that I had previously run in the snow. And I've heard the Destination AT's are better than the LE's. I certainly couldn't complain about the price difference, either.

Last edited by Rick F.; 06-29-2005 at 04:35 AM.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:35 AM
Contributing Member

BFG AT meets 'RMA definition for passenger and light truck for use in severe snow conditions'. Tiresack also makes this point.

Revos don't. I don't see any MTs with it either.

Is this something BFG did for advertising value, or something the other tires could not meet?

MTs may get by in the snow, but I don't think as well as a good AT. Trade-off.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Bluto
BFG AT meets 'RMA definition for passenger and light truck for use in severe snow conditions'. Tiresack also makes this point.

Is this something BFG did for advertising value, or something the other tires could not meet?

The Michelin LTX M/S and the Pro Comp All Terrain meet the severe snow conditions requirement also.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:56 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 03TRDBlack
The Michelin LTX M/S and the Pro Comp All Terrain meet the severe snow conditions requirement also.
The Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor also have it.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluto

My BFG ATs are a whole lot better than the BFG MTs in snow and ice, even with the MTs siped. Although I have heard some folks who had troubles witht he ATs in snow, something to do with snow sticking and freezing to the tread in certain weather conditions.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:27 PM

I dont know if your still looking for snow tires but I have heard good things about these green diamond tires. They have little particles in the rubber that provide grip on icy roads .

http://greendiamondtire.com/productswis2.html
Old 08-16-2005, 04:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So green diamond basically stole Revo's design for their A/T, BFG AT's design for their C/T, and Pro Comp X Terrain for their M/T. Interesting idea for integrating grit in the tread though...
Old 08-16-2005, 07:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had my destination MTs in two winters so far.... up to 14" of snow... they ROCK! Plus they do well on any terrain from mudding to rock crawlin.... Highly recommended, plus tread wear is absolutely great... I've got 22000 on them and expect another 30000 before they get to the indicators.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Intrepid
So green diamond basically stole Revo's design for their A/T, BFG AT's design for their C/T, and Pro Comp X Terrain for their M/T. Interesting idea for integrating grit in the tread though...
the c/t doesnt look much like the bfg a/t and the m/t looks alot like the yokohama geolander.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:11 AM

I have found my MTR's perform well in the snow we get in the coast, which means like wet sticky snow. I don't really know how they would work in the dryer Alberta snow!! But good luck!!

Last edited by 97Limited; 08-26-2005 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by yoda92
the c/t doesnt look much like the bfg a/t and the m/t looks alot like the yokohama geolander.
Ok, I admit it was a bit of a stretch on the C/T to make my conspiracy theory work but the M/T is pretty similar to both the Geolander M/T and the Pro comp X terrain.

Old 08-16-2005, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Intrepid
Ok, I admit it was a bit of a stretch on the C/T to make my conspiracy theory work but the M/T is pretty similar to both the Geolander M/T and the Pro comp X terrain.

so who coppied who ??? Haha, who cares anyways they seem pretty sweet. I would probably get a set if I lived in a place that snowed