Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

mud terrian tires- wider is better?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mud terrian tires- wider is better?

not to knowledgeable on mud tires,
looking to purchase set of mud tires before hunting season
do I want to get a wider mud tires or narrow?
looking to add aggressive tred , super swamper or something
Old 06-29-2006, 05:16 PM

dont quote me on this but im fairly certian that a skinnyer one is better. hopefully some other smart folk will chime in on a more positive answer.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:22 PM

I have the same tires as you, BFG 31" AT's they do fine for regular offroad but when hunting season hits and the roads get real mucky and the AT's just coat up and turn into slicks.
looking to get second set of tires but do not know whether to go wider or narrow
not going to add a lift so will keep to 31 or 33's, I do have the OME HD coils so should have plenty of clearance in the rear
anybody know if 33's will fit a 93 4rnr?
Old 06-29-2006, 05:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
get wide tires, preferably boggers if used for mud. Trust me, skinny tires are for rock crawling, they will dig down in mud & leave you sitting on the axles.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:34 PM

I was just looking at some boggers
you think the 33 boggers will clear or will I get too much rub?
anybody have any recommendations on the tire width that would be best?
Old 06-29-2006, 05:38 PM
Contributing Member

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I believe swamper 33's are actually 33.9"

If you have the cash, BFG Muds are great but there are a lot of similar tread tires out there that you could get for less $$

Edit: Figure on buying wider rims for 12.5" or wider tires.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:42 PM

Skinny tires will dig down through the soft stuff and bite into the hard pack underneath, which will get you through. Large wide tires will give you more flotation so that you don't sink as deep, but you will end up sitting on top ripping it up more. I argued the same thing that 1985 4runner is saying on ttora a while back and noone agreed with me, haha.
Here are a couple quotes:

Originally Posted by valkyrie
I agree with most of what was posted, but not about wide tires. Tall, skinny & knobby will cut through best, and momentum is your friend.

Spending most of my life in Florida, I have done more than my share of stupid things involving mud... I guess I was just trying to help others avoid the same errors. A full tilt mud rig can be built relatively cheap, will be lots of fun and much more practical should you have to abandon it for a day or two (and you will someday)

My old mud rig: 1975 F150 2x4, Lincoln-locked, cammed 302 w/ 289 heads, rear blocks, front cut & flipped I-beams for 8" susp. lift and 3" B/L running 38 x 11 Swampers. Nothing but momentum!
I repectfully disagree about "floatation" tires. They won't float you like Herbie the Lovebug- they are best suited for floating on terrain- sand to be specific.

If you're going to mud with the big dogs, you want serious lift to fit tall & skinny big lug tires... so they'll cut through- hopefully down to some hardpan or a root or something. Big lugs that clean themselves out well.

I kept my mud tires aired up around 50 psi to cut, and also to avoid crap (branches, roots, etc) from getting jammed into the beads.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:42 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are two schools of thought:

Wider: The idea is to spread the weight of the truck so you "float" on the surface.

Taller: The idea is to get down to the bottom where the solid traction is.

I have found that it depends on the type of mud, but for our trucks, the tall/skinny approach seems to work best. For the same amount of lift, you can run a considerably taller tire if it's skinny. It's hard to fit a tire that's wide enough to truly "float" the truck.

You didn't say what kind of truck you have, but if it's pre-'95, you can fit 33x10.50 on stock rims with no lift.

The important thing is the tread pattern - open and nasty! If you don't take it on the street much, get some SuperSwamper TSL or LTB and mud won't be too much of a concern.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:44 PM

thanks the input
anybody have any recommendations where to buy the tires and wheels online?
looking for a package deal
the BFG MT look like a good tire a few of the trucks at the hunt club have them and they do pretty good
my stock yota is one of the smaller trucks out there and the ruts get pretty deep so need some agressive sidewalls to help pull out of the ruts
Old 06-29-2006, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by shantz
looking to get second set of tires but do not know whether to go wider or narrow
not going to add a lift so will keep to 31 or 33's
I don't know if wider or skinnier is better, but I had a set of 32x10.50 Super Swamper radials for the last four years and they kicked ass in just about every terrain except really hard packed dirt. That size swamper is about the same as a 33x10.50 BFG, and will fit with stock wheels and stock suspension. I loved those tires, but I decided to SAS my junk and go with 36" Swampers.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by shantz
thanks the input
anybody have any recommendations where to buy the tires and wheels online?
looking for a package deal
I bought my Swampers, mounted on rims, from www.ntwonline.com. When I was shopping 4 years ago they had the best price for delivery to Fairfax.
Old 06-29-2006, 05:55 PM

sweet
I will check out the link. thanks
Old 06-29-2006, 06:55 PM
Contributing Member

Without getting into a huge debate, a 33" skinny tire will dig down to about 13-15" before you bottom out on you axle. A wider tire in the same rut will allow you to go over the existing rut without bottoming out. If I had a nickle for every truck I pulled out last week running skinny tires, well I'd have a lot of nickles...

Since you specified mud, look at what pro mud dragsters use...wide tires.

http://www.nmro.net/mud_drags.html

I know there is a lot of debate on the subject & I'm just stating what I have experienced.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wheres roger brown when u need him???
Old 06-29-2006, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Intrepid
I argued the same thing that 1985 4runner is saying on ttora a while back and noone agreed with me, haha.
You should have PM'd me. I would have agreed with you! Don't tell me, they changed you mind? I think I saw that thread but I don't remember if I posted or not.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:13 PM

The main question that needs to asked is, what are you using them for. You mention lots of mud, and hunting. Are you driving muddy roads or mud bogging? This makes for a huge difference in tire requirments.

I too have had great luck, like Beater, with the 32x10.50 TSL Radial. I would still be running it, if it wasnt too small for 4"+ of lift.

If you are looking for a hunting tire, not a bogging tire, get something like a 33x10.50 in BFG Mud. I have had better luck with a little skinnier tire when hunting. This is because when hunting you are mostly on slick dirt/gravel roads. Its not usually that deep to the hard ground, and its easier to reach with a skinny tire. You can also go a little taller when you go skinner, and chains (which wore great in deep mud/snow) fit much better on skinny tires.

Dont get more tire than you need, that will make you more unhappy than your AT's. i.e. if you get boggers they may be great slow on the road, but dont have great manners on the street. I sold my tsl bias for that reason, the benefits werent anywhere near the downfalls.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:19 PM
Banned

Ive notice on some of the travels Ive done over the years and on some of the cable channels that farmers use tall skinny tires, Ive also seen how most outback trucks and mudbogg racers use the same so there must be some truth in that part.
I also understand what 85-4runner is saying but I think its because he has the power to spin the mud completely out of the pit.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:41 PM
Contributing Member

Tall and skinny is proabably the best setup for toyotas. They just look alot better IMO too. I would never put anything wider than 11.50 unless it was 35" or taller. I think what Voodoo just mentioned about 854runner is very true. Those fat tires take ALOT to get spinning, and they're heavy too.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by 1985 4Runner
Without getting into a huge debate, a 33" skinny tire will dig down to about 13-15" before you bottom out on you axle. A wider tire in the same rut will allow you to go over the existing rut without bottoming out. If I had a nickle for every truck I pulled out last week running skinny tires, well I'd have a lot of nickles...

Since you specified mud, look at what pro mud dragsters use...wide tires.

http://www.nmro.net/mud_drags.html

I know there is a lot of debate on the subject & I'm just stating what I have experienced.
Right, but you can't get a terribly wide 33, so really a "wide" 33 wouldn't provide that much flotation, I mean, yeah, if you have an 18.5" wide tire it would, but you won't have 33's that wide.Pro Mud dragsters have a LOT more horespower than the average Toyota though, which definitely helps.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
swamper makes a 33x15.5R15 SX if i'm not mistaken.

i'm more fond of pizza cutters, especially since i'm running a 4 cylinder.

Quick Reply: mud terrian tires- wider is better?