Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

After a balance, what would be considered alot of added weight on a wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 05:01 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
loose steering or ball joints will allow a wheel to oscillate left to right as it travels down the road, resulting in vibration.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
might also check for a bent rim....

Sam's wholesale had done that now to 3 of my rims when breaking the beads off of the old tires. I'm going to get new rims on my own dime one more time (I get em for cheap.) If they screw 'em up the isht is hitting the fan from here on out!

They also have done that to 2 of our dually's BIG steel wheels...
Old 01-13-2005, 06:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did they use the adapter to balance them? on the stock al rims the center is not machined to match the wheel. Therefore you must use a adapter that centers the wheel using the lug holes...
Old 01-13-2005, 06:53 AM
Contributing Member

Do you have anyone there in AL that will swap tires/wheels with you to see if the problem goes away when swapped? I would be happy to do that if you are ever in the Athens, GA area. It sounds like a bent wheel to me.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:09 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ugadawg95
Do you have anyone there in AL that will swap tires/wheels with you to see if the problem goes away when swapped? I would be happy to do that if you are ever in the Athens, GA area. It sounds like a bent wheel to me.
I agree totally....you need to find someone with no vibration that will swap wheels. This will eliminate the guesswork as far as it either being in the rim/tire or somewhere else. After chucking the Revos and finding the same problem with the michelins, I think it is time to take a different approach to solving your problem.

bamachem also had a good point to look for the steering components as a possible cause.....you can do this yourself with the help of an assistant. Just have the person sit in the truck and move the wheel side to side while you are underneath watching the steering rack and tie rods. You can also put your hand on the inner tie rod boots to feel if there is play in them. Last you need to look at the steering rack as a whole moving (there is often play in the bushings) where you may have excessive play in the rack itself. Ball joints usually make a clunk sound when bad but you can jack each wheel up and move the tire in and out and watch for any movement there as well.

First just find someone else with a set of wheels that fit yours and do a temporary swap.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:14 AM

Gadget that a problem like this... check out his site
http://www.gadgetonline.com/vibration.htm