Camping, Expedition, & Overlanding Gear Discussion pertaining to outfitting yourself with gear for the great outdoors

Newbie - Truck Tent and Truck Bed Air Matress

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie - Truck Tent and Truck Bed Air Matress

Ola Amigos,

I'm a newbie, just got my 09 Tacoma - TRD OffRoad on Saturday.

Since I just spent pretty much as much as I was allowed and have a trip to the Florida Keys coming up in early March I was thinking of buying a Sportz Truck Tent III and Truck Bedz Expedition Mattress at Bass Pro Shop.

Reason: I don't have the flow right away to buy a trailer/rooftop tent/ magionola whachamacallit so I was thinking to use this setup for the time being.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-02-2009, 06:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think 4wheeler mag. did a product test on this a year or so ago and they really liked it.

the one thing I would have to say bad about it is what do you do with all the crap (fishing poles, coolers, skin diving gear, what ever else you might have back there)you had in your bed after you set up the tent.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:43 AM

Put that money into getting a regular cap for the truck. either aluminum or fiberglass...whichever you like better. Then you can keep your gear dry. I have an 04 and sleep in the bed when i camp. I just put a futon mattress in the bed of it. If you dont like the idea of having a cap on all the time. look into a canbak, bestop, or softopper. that way you can easily take it down or off most of the time and you can still drive around with it up unlike the sportz tent. I do want to get one of the bed air mattresses though they look comfy.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by HazMat
Put that money into getting a regular cap for the truck. either aluminum or fiberglass...whichever you like better. Then you can keep your gear dry. I have an 04 and sleep in the bed when i camp. I just put a futon mattress in the bed of it. If you dont like the idea of having a cap on all the time. look into a canbak, bestop, or softopper. that way you can easily take it down or off most of the time and you can still drive around with it up unlike the sportz tent. I do want to get one of the bed air mattresses though they look comfy.
x2 When my dad had his Tundra he just put a topper on it, threw in some egg carton foam mattress stuff (?) and that's how we slept on the road trip. It was pretty nice actually. And its easier to open the windows and get in and out cause you don't have to deal with stupid zippers . And this is how I plan on sleeping in my 4Runner, just fold the back seat down and sleep in the back
Old 02-13-2009, 06:55 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I really like my truck bedz thingy and have used it a couple times. One other good idea is to find a 4" think piece of foam rubber and put it under the mattress. You'd be surprised how much heat you'll lose to the metal bed of the truck and the foam works wonders keeping heat in.

Not a great picture but you can see the mattress a little.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I plan on going the truck tent route as well. With the short bed of the Tundra CrewMax, I need the type that sets up with the tailgate down, then add the mattress to it.

I will keep everyone informed as I get the chance.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
What do you do with the box and all the tools when the bed is in there?