1984 Xtracab 5th Wheel - YotaTech Forums

Camping, Expedition, & Overlanding Gear Discussion pertaining to outfitting yourself with gear for the great outdoors

1984 Xtracab 5th Wheel

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-17-2017, 11:10 AM   #1

1984 Xtracab 5th Wheel

First Thread! Let me start by saying thanks to everyone in the yotatech community for all the contributions you've made over the years; I've lurked here for years, benefitting from this mass of info.

I grew up on 80s model Toyota's​ and currently own a 1983 Sunrader (purchased in 2012 with 34800 original miles, and have put another 20k traveling all over the US) and a cherry 1984 Toyota XtraCab Solid Axle 4x4. The truck has OME heavy suspension lift, rebuilt axles, de-smog, ARB front bumper, Warn M8000, and rides on 31 BFGs at factory gearing (4.10) with the factory 5-speed manual.

I imagine right about now you're thinking "sweet, nice ride, welcome to Yotatech, etc.," well...

Let the flaming begin: So I've acquired a 1986 Bigfoot 5th wheel weighing in at 2700lbs with a gooseneck tongue weight of 550lbs, and it is equipped with trailer brakes. It will only see use within 100-150 miles of the house. My plan is to have a Fab/trailer shop install a quality gooseneck hitch with a hide-a-hitch mounted to the frame below the bed, as well as a quality brake controller.

I will be doing the FJ Disc/caliper/dual diaphragm booster upgrade upfront, swapping the low-milage 22r from the Sunrader, and may do a new Marlin W56, as well as swap in 4.88 diffs.

I'm not concerned with the 22r's ability to handle this, as the Sunrader is 6800+ lbs gross on a factory 2wd drivetrain (save for the 1-ton factory rear axle) and has been coast to coast (slow and steady) through all manner of mountain passes, BLM back desert roads, and nearly every National Park in the lower 48.

I know there are a LOT of members who will now think "this is bat˟˟˟˟˟ crazy, this guy is nuts, how could you do that to that 84!" Etc... Know that this is a compromise [wife] in order to keep my beloved 84, the alternative would be sell it and buy a quad-cab Tacoma or Tundra and I just can't do that. So, I'm starting this thread to document the process, as there was absolutely no information out there on anyone doing this to an 80s pickup - closest I came were people hauling the same camper with '03 and '06 Tacomas and they reported no issues, but offered very little detail.

Cheers,
The Goat
The Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:07 PM   #2

Hope it works, but just in case..
"In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti."
TrafficTechII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 04:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficTechII View Post
Hope it works, but just in case..
"In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti."
Thanks, I just might need the entire Holy Trinity for this one.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:34 PM   #4

Firestone airbags or Timbren load levelers and you are golden
flg8r22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by flg8r22 View Post
Firestone airbags or Timbren load levelers and you are golden
​​​​​
Thanks, I'd seen some of the Toyota RVers using the Firestone Bags a few years ago. Will have to check out the Timbrens.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:02 AM   #6

No flaming here. Probably not going to get anywhere in a hurry pulling that thing, but sounds like you've got the all important stopping covered. Cool camper, and as long as it's safe, I don't see why not. What happened to the Sunrader that you are robbing the 22r from it?
coryc85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by coryc85 View Post
No flaming here. Probably not going to get anywhere in a hurry pulling that thing, but sounds like you've got the all important stopping covered. Cool camper, and as long as it's safe, I don't see why not. What happened to the Sunrader that you are robbing the 22r from it?
Yeah, I'm sure it'll be slow going but don't mind that. Nothing wrong with the Sunrader at all, just want to put it's 54k engine in my truck (truck has 200k) before I sell it this fall (don't need both the RV and the camper).

Last edited by The Goat; 04-18-2017 at 07:27 AM.