Diesel Swaps Diesel engines

Prepping my 94 PU for an OM617 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2022, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Prepping my 94 PU for an OM617 Swap

So back in december I warped the head on my 22re, and after finding a suitable daily driver I got the thumbs up from my wife to start on the diesel swap I've been dreaming about for years.

Which means I've been reading here and at peachparts obsessively, and I'm starting to put together a game plan. The first step in that plan is stripping all the unnecessary components left over from the 22RE. And I need a little advice in figuring out what to keep and what to yank.

I'm currently planning to use the Mercedes OM617, with the full conversion kit from Joe at Doomsday diesel
So if I correctly understand what I've been reading:
1. I know I can use my existing AC compressor,
2. I don't need my alternator (I don't believe I can use the Toyota ALT and AC with the adaptor kit, I need to use a GM ALT in order to fit the TOY AC)
3. I need to decide if I am running the toyota PS pump or the merc? Does anyone have any advice on this point? I have read of people doing both but I haven't seen anything to convince me one way or the other.
4. Pretty sure I don't need the water pump.
5. Radiator and coolant lines are pulled already, probably going to use the merc radiator if I buy an intact car
6. I assume the master cylinder etc can stay in place? If money allows I will upgrade to the 1" MC as (Went out to look at it and realized I already have the 1"..) I would love to swap my drums out for discs on the back at some point in the future.
7. Air intake is gone, Pretty sure if I use a scoop I'll want it on the passenger side not the stock driver side one.
8. Charcoal pot and other emissions crap can go
9. AC Radiator, it is beat to crap.... I really don't want to mess with the AC system since it works but I feel like I should fix it while I'm here. My fears have no basis in experience, so how big a deal is it and should I just go for it or leave well enough alone?

Somewhat unrelated, any suggestions as to how I should cover the transmission bellhousing while I don't have a motor in the truck? It could be a few months before I get an engine let alone get it installed.
And if anyone wants to buy any of those parts I am removing, or indeed the 22RE itself, please PM me, I need them gone.

Last edited by SpeedCrazy; 01-16-2022 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Stupid mistakes